Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

New Member - advice on Brisbane Suburbs

New Member - advice on Brisbane Suburbs

Old Apr 11th 2008, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

tasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of light
Smile New Member - advice on Brisbane Suburbs

Hi everyone!!
We're new to this forum and I wondered if anyone could give us any advice on Brisbane. After looking at numerous rental agents my head is about to explode with all the different areas available. Which suburbs are considered a decent area to live? And which ones are not so desirable? Is it better to rent a bit out of the city and commute or should we rent an apartment in the city and save on travelling? I will be studying Hairdressing in Brisbane when I get the cash together to pay for the deposit on the course, and sell the house (lots of people going through that on here!). Any advice gratefuly received. Thanks....
Tracy
Old Apr 11th 2008, 10:40 am

Alana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: New Member - advice on Brisbane Suburbs

Hi!
We live in Redcliffe 25kms from the city and we love it.Lots of really lovely suburbs north side( and South side but I dont know much about them) but the closer to the city you are the more pricey it is.Really depends what you want!
Try realestate.com and ourbrisbane.com to give you an idea of prices. ourbrisbane.com gives out helpful info about suburbs and we used it to narrow down our search before arriving here.
Good luck
Andyxx
Old Apr 14th 2008, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

OzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really nice

We are in Sinnamon Park. Western suburbs about 15k`s from the CBD.
GOod here too!
Old Apr 14th 2008, 8:04 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

I think ppl, honestly truly believe that everyone in Brisbane works in the city.

Im not having a dig, but we see it on a daily basis, and it flaberghasts me, especially when they retort, Ive been watching the forum for months. etc etc etc

Brisbane is a HUGE HUGE metropolis, and the city ( CBD ) is actually quite small, and really reserved for shopping and the majors )

Every suburb, I would guess, has a hairdressing salon or 2. In fact, go MOBILE and coin it in... its a distinct service thats under exploited in Australia.

You could be minted.

Ste
Old Apr 14th 2008, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

gillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud of

Suburbs that keep coming up as popular seem to be Cleveland (Bayside), Albany Creek/Bridgeman Downs, New Farm and North Lakes, all very different, have a look on www.ourbrisbane.com.au as OP suggested, also www.ozburbs.com (Timberfloor Au's website) and wiki
Old Apr 14th 2008, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

smudger_scfc has a brilliant futuresmudger_scfc has a brilliant futuresmudger_scfc has a brilliant futuresmudger_scfc has a brilliant futuresmudger_scfc has a brilliant futuresmudger_scfc has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by tasmas
Hi everyone!!
We're new to this forum and I wondered if anyone could give us any advice on Brisbane. After looking at numerous rental agents my head is about to explode with all the different areas available. Which suburbs are considered a decent area to live? And which ones are not so desirable? Is it better to rent a bit out of the city and commute or should we rent an apartment in the city and save on travelling? I will be studying Hairdressing in Brisbane when I get the cash together to pay for the deposit on the course, and sell the house (lots of people going through that on here!). Any advice gratefuly received. Thanks....
Tracy

I live in North Lakes, it's a relatively new suburb and it is great. Read a few discouraging posts on here before i got here but haven't had any problems myself. Some lovely walks around the lakes with BBQ settings and shelters and a big westfield shoppng centre.

My only gripe would be the transport links to the city, haven't checked out the buses, but if you drive and have a car you'll be fine.

Lived in Bracken Ridge in 2001 and thought it again was a really nice place, also stayed in Petrie quite often and would recommend that also.
Old Apr 14th 2008, 8:07 am
BE Enthusiast

gillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
I think ppl, honestly truly believe that everyone in Brisbane works in the city.

Im not having a dig, but we see it on a daily basis, and it flaberghasts me, especially when they retort, Ive been watching the forum for months. etc etc etc

Brisbane is a HUGE HUGE metropolis, and the city ( CBD ) is actually quite small, and really reserved for shopping and the majors )

Every suburb, I would guess, has a hairdressing salon or 2. In fact, go MOBILE and coin it in... its a distinct service thats under exploited in Australia.

You could be minted.

Ste
I believe Tasmas will be training to be a hairdresser in Brissy Ste - chill petal
Old Apr 14th 2008, 8:11 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gillysm
I believe Tasmas will be training to be a hairdresser in Brissy Ste - chill petal
OOoooohhh Yeahhhh lol

Well Spotted Hun !!

Aplogies , to OP, I was trying to offer Career Advice lol.
Old Apr 14th 2008, 9:18 am
Just Joined

givemecoffee is just really nicegivemecoffee is just really nicegivemecoffee is just really nicegivemecoffee is just really nicegivemecoffee is just really nicegivemecoffee is just really nicegivemecoffee is just really nicegivemecoffee is just really nicegivemecoffee is just really nicegivemecoffee is just really nice

We live in Ashgrove and love it! Great bus links to the city and only 20 minute drive to South Bank Parklands. You have best of both worlds - city but also only 20 minutes from Mount Nebo, Brisbane Forest Park etc. Also close to trendy suburbs such as Paddington, West End - great for Sunday brunches. Ashgrove itself nice with good schools, cafes etc. Easy to get on the Gympie Road to head up the Sunshine Coast too. Happy hunting!
Old Apr 14th 2008, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

brissyboyds is just really nicebrissyboyds is just really nicebrissyboyds is just really nicebrissyboyds is just really nicebrissyboyds is just really nicebrissyboyds is just really nicebrissyboyds is just really nicebrissyboyds is just really nice

Originally Posted by givemecoffee
We live in Ashgrove and love it! Great bus links to the city and only 20 minute drive to South Bank Parklands. You have best of both worlds - city but also only 20 minutes from Mount Nebo, Brisbane Forest Park etc. Also close to trendy suburbs such as Paddington, West End - great for Sunday brunches. Ashgrove itself nice with good schools, cafes etc. Easy to get on the Gympie Road to head up the Sunshine Coast too. Happy hunting!
We're looking at Ashgrove(my rellies) or western suburbs(OH rellies)possibly middle park,seventeen mile rocks area.Stayed with rellies in West Ashgrove and really liked it,like you said easy to get around,but might be out of our price range now,are there any cheap areas nearby.Thanks Fred
Old Apr 14th 2008, 10:15 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Ashgrove is nice - but pricey. Its a bit of an 'exclusive' suburb so you pay dearly for it.

I live in the next suburb west "The Gap" which is considerably more affordable and only a few minutes longer on the bus.

The Gap has the advantage of not really being a place you drive through to get anywhere so the traffic isnt quite as bad (theres lots of cars - but you dont get so much freight traffic as on major trunk routes around the city).

I guess ultimately it depends exactly where you will be studying - you need to make sure that public transport links get you close to where you want to go. Dont be fooled by timetables that *seem* to link up for transfers between busses or busses&trains, the bus timetables are not nearly reliable enough for that!
Old Apr 14th 2008, 10:17 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by givemecoffee
Also close to trendy suburbs such as Paddington,
Ive always wondered what ppl find "trendy" about Paddington.

It reminds me of the streets of San Francisco, circa 1920

Ste
Old Apr 15th 2008, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

brissyboyds is just really nicebrissyboyds is just really nicebrissyboyds is just really nicebrissyboyds is just really nicebrissyboyds is just really nicebrissyboyds is just really nicebrissyboyds is just really nicebrissyboyds is just really nice

Originally Posted by DadAgain
Ashgrove is nice - but pricey. Its a bit of an 'exclusive' suburb so you pay dearly for it.

I live in the next suburb west "The Gap" which is considerably more affordable and only a few minutes longer on the bus.

The Gap has the advantage of not really being a place you drive through to get anywhere so the traffic isnt quite as bad (theres lots of cars - but you dont get so much freight traffic as on major trunk routes around the city).

I guess ultimately it depends exactly where you will be studying - you need to make sure that public transport links get you close to where you want to go. Dont be fooled by timetables that *seem* to link up for transfers between busses or busses&trains, the bus timetables are not nearly reliable enough for that!
Hello again,Dadagain,thanks for the advice on schools last time.My relatives live in West Ashgrove and I got the impression that the Gap was more pricey,but that was last year,have things changed or was I mistaken? Thanks Fred
Old Apr 15th 2008, 6:31 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

What's Red Hill like?

G
Old Apr 15th 2008, 9:38 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

My relatives live in West Ashgrove and I got the impression that the Gap was more pricey
No you are definately mistaken there! Ashgrove is deemed incredibly desirable and being closer to the city and having more 'character homes' than The Gap you will pay extra to be there.

For a 3 bedroom house I'd expect Ashgrove to be at least $100k (and perhaps as much as $300k) more than The Gap for a similar quality house.

Red Hill has always seemed a bit hit and miss to me - it certainly has the advantage of being close to the city (15-25m stroll down through Roma St Parklands to get to CBD) and is served by lots of busses. It also is rather obviously on top fo a hill so theres a chance of decent views and the odd cooling summer breeze. The downside is that its very much on a main thoroughfare (with all the Ashgrove/The Gap traffic) so feels very busy. There is also a bit of a 'skanky' feel to bits of it with a few run down buildings like the old roller-rink which is now derelict and covered in grafiti. Red Hill does have one of Brisbanes more prominent gun shops though - so if you're thinking of going on a 'Columbine style' rampage that could be handy? I suspect Red Hill would be quite expensive given its proximity to the city - but due to its 'run down' feel might be cheaper than similarly distanced 'young trendy' areas (i.e. Paddington/NewFarm/South Brisbane/Auchenflower)