Old May 23rd 2006, 11:19 am
Just Joined

paul1ne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default new member

hello all

I am in the proses of applying for my visa to go to Brisbane but have encountered financial issues can anyone let me know if I go into voluntary bankruptcy if this will affect me buying a house when i get there and how long do you have to have lived in Australia to be able to buy a property

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks
Pauline
Old May 23rd 2006, 11:36 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: new member

Hello Pauline.

Usually no previous credit history is considered in Australia.

No time limits for buying a house but there may be some conditions to be met depending on your type of visa.
Old May 23rd 2006, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
Hello Pauline.

Usually no previous credit history is considered in Australia.

No time limits for buying a house but there may be some conditions to be met depending on your type of visa.

hi pauline and welcome to expats, cant help you i'm afraid but i;m sure there are lots who will

bix, is that right then, cos i thought we had to take bank references and credit history checks etc?? which make it easier to rent and buy property?
Old May 23rd 2006, 11:53 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by debbiemc
bix, is that right then, cos i thought we had to take bank references and credit history checks etc?? which make it easier to rent and buy property?
I am not 100% sure on the bankruptcy issue but for the rest yes.

It "may" be advantageous to have those references but they do not officially recognise them. We gave our first rental agent UK bank and mortgage statements and credit checks etc but they just looked bemused and said they didn't want them. They want relevant Australian records.

For a rental a healthy current (Aus) bank statement and a letter from your employer confirming you are indeed employed is best. Failing that hard cash talks. We took a 6 month rental and paid 3 months up front to swing it.
Old May 23rd 2006, 11:59 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by debbiemc
hi pauline and welcome to expats, cant help you i'm afraid but i;m sure there are lots who will

Agree with bix's thoughts. Credit history checks are pointless. Your Uk credit history means nothing here. You start from scratch. As to bank references not sure why anyone would actually want to bring them and what purpose they would serve. You walk into a bank - you offer them money - they open an account for you. Easy.

As to buying/renting a property then your current employment will count only, not anything you did in the UK. They want to know you can pay the rent, not how well you kept up mortgage payments being funded by a job you no longer have in a country you no longer reside.
Old May 23rd 2006, 12:55 pm
Just Joined

paul1ne is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by paul1ne
hello all

I am in the proses of applying for my visa to go to Brisbane but have encountered financial issues can anyone let me know if I go into voluntary bankruptcy if this will affect me buying a house when i get there and how long do you have to have lived in Australia to be able to buy a property

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks
Pauline
Many Many thanks for all your replies
Old May 23rd 2006, 1:05 pm
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

good luck with your visa application Pauline

jackie
Old May 23rd 2006, 1:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to all

Yes good luck from us too on your visas application
Old May 23rd 2006, 1:42 pm
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

Yeah best of luck with it all.

On the rental bit, we're both studying so don't even have a job! ... yet we have a rental no prob.

We DID offer 6 months money up front tho! ... might have helped just a little ...
Old May 23rd 2006, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
I am not 100% sure on the bankruptcy issue but for the rest yes.

It "may" be advantageous to have those references but they do not officially recognise them. We gave our first rental agent UK bank and mortgage statements and credit checks etc but they just looked bemused and said they didn't want them. They want relevant Australian records.

For a rental a healthy current (Aus) bank statement and a letter from your employer confirming you are indeed employed is best. Failing that hard cash talks. We took a 6 month rental and paid 3 months up front to swing it.
thanks bix and centurian