Reload this Page >

New with many questions!

New with many questions!

Old Sep 30th 2003, 3:17 am
Just Joined

Penguin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New with many questions!

Hi everyone,

I'm pretty new to this site, but have discovered loads already (and have realised I have many more things to add to my "to do" list).

I am from the UK originally and have lived in Hong Kong for 3 years. Now we're moving to Sydney (hurray!)

Any tips on where to live in Sydney? We're a young couple, no kids, like a good time, but not ultra-wild party animals and would love a garden and/or to be near the beach.

Also, we'll be looking for a furnished place to rent - what do they typically include (do you get a TV??)

Cheers in advance.
Old Sep 30th 2003, 3:35 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

If you want garden you will have to go way out of town (unless you have money). There is not much furnished rental accomodation around. You can probably guess where I live. I rent a small 2 bed flat for $300 a week. I have a 5 min walk to the beach and a 15 min drive to the CBD.

The market is good for renting. look and www.domain.com.au on line but the place for rental property in Sydney is the Sydney Morning Herald classifieds on Saturday.

I like Bondi as it has a few cafes restaurants and pubs and if you want a big one town is a short hop away. Other Beaches with easy access to the CBD include Bronte (more family orientated and less pubs), Clovelly and Coogee. On the north shore Manly is the most accessible beach by public transport. Only a problem is when a storm makes the ferry a bit rough.

What is your budget, where will you be working and will you have a car?
Old Sep 30th 2003, 3:52 am
Just Joined

Penguin is an unknown quantity at this point

Great info - thanks for that.

Our budget will be pretty similar to yours. My boyfriend will be working in the CBD and as yet I'm not sure as I haven't secured a job yet!

We don't plan on getting a car. Do you think it's a good idea?
Old Sep 30th 2003, 4:38 am

Originally posted by Penguin
Great info - thanks for that.

Our budget will be pretty similar to yours. My boyfriend will be working in the CBD and as yet I'm not sure as I haven't secured a job yet!

We don't plan on getting a car. Do you think it's a good idea?
You do not need a car in Sydney but if you want to tour NSW at all it is highly recommended. You could just hire a car.

My accomodation is not furnished by the way.
Old Sep 30th 2003, 6:16 am
Just Joined

chink is an unknown quantity at this point

Bondipom, thanks for the info.

I searched domain.com.au and found that a 1-bedroom unit near Bondi Beach could be had for around $250 p.w. As I'll be migrating without my partner initially, a 1-bedroom would be ideal. Furnished would be preferable. As I'll be enrolling for a postgraduate at Sydney U, I've also looked at units near the uni e.g. Chippendale. I'll most probably choose the beach over promimity to uni.

I'll not get a car unless I have a job, so hopefully public transport from Bondi (Beach) to city won't hassle too much.
Old Sep 30th 2003, 6:30 am

Originally posted by chink
Bondipom, thanks for the info.

I searched domain.com.au and found that a 1-bedroom unit near Bondi Beach could be had for around $250 p.w. As I'll be migrating without my partner initially, a 1-bedroom would be ideal. Furnished would be preferable. As I'll be enrolling for a postgraduate at Sydney U, I've also looked at units near the uni e.g. Chippendale. I'll most probably choose the beach over promimity to uni.

I'll not get a car unless I have a job, so hopefully public transport from Bondi (Beach) to city won't hassle too much.
For public transport check out www.131500.com.au

Chippendale which is in the Inner west is a bit of a smog hole. To get there from Bondi Beach it is 10 mins on the bus to Bondi Junctions, 15 - 20 mins on the train to central then a walk or bus (not sure how long) to Sydney Uni.

Bronte is nice as probably time from the city is only 5 mins more but is harder to get a decent flat. Bondi has a lot of rental property too choose from.

Good to see more people on the way to Sydney.