new life in oz

Old Jun 1st 2012, 9:37 am
Just Joined

C.Toner88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation new life in oz

me (electrician) and my girlfriend (assistant teacher) are moving to oz in july, we are heading to perth, but we are being put off as to many people saying its to expensive and its not what its made out to be,

ive filled in my forms for artc and or sending them of, im just wondering where would b the best place to set up life for me and her, we enjoy the beach and we enjoy the city,

accommodation is it hard to find?
best place for the girlfriend to get a job?
is it really that hard for an electrician to find placement and get a license?
is perth the place i want to b going to or is there anywhere else in oz to go to get work apart from oz?
does the wages cover the expense of and living?

we have got references from all our past jobs and from landlords that we have rented of, will this help in most cases?

any other information that you can help us with would b great?
Old Jun 1st 2012, 10:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: new life in oz

It might be a good idea to ask a mod to move your thread to the main Australia forum, you will get a better range of responses there, this forum is about getting the visa and you don't appear to have any questions on that. Comments in red.

Originally Posted by C.Toner88
me (electrician) and my girlfriend (assistant teacher) are moving to oz in july, we are heading to perth, but we are being put off as to many people saying its to expensive and its not what its made out to be,

My sense is that it is more expensive than Adelaide and Brisbane but cheaper than Melbourne and Sydney. I really wouldn't let it put you off though, so long as you can earn about $2.5 for every £1 now it is fine. I don't know what you mean by it not being what it's made out to be, then I don't live in Perth anyway.

ive filled in my forms for artc and or sending them of, im just wondering where would b the best place to set up life for me and her, we enjoy the beach and we enjoy the city,

That could be most of the major Australian cities, they are all cities near the beach. Stay away from Alice Springs.

It is more competitive than the UK rental market, requires some planning and discipline but everyone manages it soon enough

best place for the girlfriend to get a job? Pass, but jobs in teaching are difficult to find, they would be in any of the cities I believe.

is it really that hard for an electrician to find placement and get a license?

I don't know how hard it is to get a license, but others have managed before you.

is perth the place i want to b going to or is there anywhere else in oz to go to get work apart from oz?

I would have thought your occupation was quite portable, we use electricity in all parts of Australia, not just Perth, so presumably there are jobs everywhere else too.

does the wages cover the expense of and living? You (general you not you) have to live within your means, same as anywhere else.

we have got references from all our past jobs and from landlords that we have rented of, will this help in most cases? Yes.

any other information that you can help us with would b great?
Old Jun 1st 2012, 9:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

abi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud of

http://det.wa.edu.au/

When you say your girlfriend is an assistant teacher do you mean teaching assistant?

The above website has teaching details but also general government jobs. I believe that private and church schools might not be on there - but go to www.google.com.au and search for, say catholic schools, Perth and look at the individual websites. Couldn't suggest where - as BS said there is beach everywhere - and there are schools everywhere so it's hard to pin it down! Bear in mind though the two areas you've said - beach and city - are the two most expensive places to live.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 10:05 pm
Just Joined

KickinBack is an unknown quantity at this point

Perth is nice yes, I have been before. Although, personally I prefer Melbourne, I don't know the people just seem a little more friendly, but both places are lovely and the people in both are a lot nicer than in most British towns I'll tell you that!
Old Jun 1st 2012, 11:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KickinBack
Perth is nice yes, I have been before. Although, personally I prefer Melbourne, I don't know the people just seem a little more friendly, but both places are lovely and the people in both are a lot nicer than in most British towns I'll tell you that!
Not to make any sweeping generalisations or anything.
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

saveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to behold

If you have the urge to go to OZ and you can get a visa, take the chance and don't listen to the relatively minute number of failures who, for the most part, never made much of an effort to settle in OZ in the first place.

I loved Perth from the moment I set foot in the place, though I ended up in Sydney. If you go with a positive attitude and are prepared for the odd setback, you will enjoy your Aussie experience.
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 8:59 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by C.Toner88
, im just wondering where would b the best place to set up life for me and her, we enjoy the beach and we enjoy the city,

You need to do plenty of research with where you want to live.
The two places you mention, close to the beach and close to the city, are going to be the most expensive places to live. But then I don't know your budget, you may be able to comfortably afford those areas.

www.realestate.com.au
www.reiwa.com.au

Go for it, you only get one life.... what's the worse thing that could happen, if you don't like it just go back.
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 12:05 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saveme
If you have the urge to go to OZ and you can get a visa, take the chance and don't listen to the relatively minute number of failures who, for the most part, never made much of an effort to settle in OZ in the first place.

I loved Perth from the moment I set foot in the place, though I ended up in Sydney. If you go with a positive attitude and are prepared for the odd setback, you will enjoy your Aussie experience.
Nothing to do with being a "failure". Australia and its lifestyle just don't suit some people, for a million reasons.......