Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

New Life..new Start ..new Stuff..???

Wikiposts

New Life..new Start ..new Stuff..???

Old Feb 9th 2005, 11:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of
Default Re: New Life..new Start ..new Stuff..???

Originally Posted by samnrob2
Can't remember on which thread I saw it, but there was a link to superamart.com.au...

The prices for new bits and pieces is unbelievable! Yeah, the stuff isn't going to win any fashion awards, but geez - the Aussies aren't famed for being up to date are they!?

There was a really nice looking brown leather sofa for something stupid like £650. Baring in mind I've just sold my 5 year old three seater and single chair for £300!

Moving to Oz can be as cheap or expensive as you make it - just like living in the UK. I've been a house owner for 5 years in the UK and if I was staying, I'd still have to buy 'bits and pieces'.

Rob
I've seen some nice modern stuff, but that's not my "thing". Go look on e-bay for some ideas. With 3 children I didn't care much at first whether it was fashionable or not, just that it could be sat on. Beds we got new as I don't "do" second hand mattresses ( :scared: ) and we bought a cheapy garden set for eating at. I didn't think the prices were so very dear at all. I can buy a very good new leather lounge set (1x1x3) for $3400. I think that's quite reasonable. Another tip - look up furniture rental places and go to their ex-rental sales. Great bargains to be had!
Old Feb 9th 2005, 11:54 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

I shipped all our stuff three days before we left and we spent the last weekend with my Mother in Law having a party!

We then rented a fully furnished serviced two beroom apartment for six weeks while we sorted out a rental. Took the rental out on Friday cleaned the place for two days and only had to camp out the Saturday and Sunday night. A lady from the kids school lent us camping beds for the two days. Our container turned up Monday.

The cost of the apartment was only a bit more than the rental we got. And I must admit the fully serviced bit was nice as it included cleaning and changing all sheets etc. The kids did have to share a bedroom - so they were very glad when we finally got our rental and their own beds.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 12:31 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Funny, when I've been to your place it seems like it should be the other way around!
Ahhh...but mine's a release mechanism and the company I keep at the time

Old Feb 10th 2005, 12:39 am
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
Ahhh...but mine's a release mechanism and the company I keep at the time
That's your excuse and you're sticking to it
Old Feb 10th 2005, 12:39 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by soapy
ive seen people here buy things for the kids and for the house. when the stuff arrives from the uk, the Oz house isnt big enough lol
Ekkk...erm....you can put me in this "plonka" category. I own up gov

Old Feb 10th 2005, 12:40 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by artep
That's your excuse and you're sticking to it
Ha,ha....yep....er.....no....maybe not

Old Feb 10th 2005, 1:40 am
Wannabee Queenslander

badri has a brilliant futurebadri has a brilliant futurebadri has a brilliant futurebadri has a brilliant futurebadri has a brilliant futurebadri has a brilliant future

Hi

I do agree with the malcom and donna. But I am shipping lots of stuff over not the electronics or white goods but mostly clothes. books, antiques. Since I colllect lots of them I need to ship them.

I will do lots of shopping but things I really need.

badri
Old Feb 11th 2005, 1:46 am
Forum Regular

Parker is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by G'Day
Point taken Parker, but must admit I honed my own sentimentals down to the bare minmum and bought the children's stuff over instead. That's what the other 3 suitcases were for I suppose if one has done what you've done and you have lots of sentimental furniture then it's worth bringing it all with, but most people, I think, are like us, they have furniture they bought when they got married, it's time for a refurnish anyway, and they like the idea of a new start. We sure did. Besides which there's furniture here that I haven't encountered before. Balanese for one - so... let's redecorate!

Also, maybe some people are just more sentimental. I certainly can't remember what I lost when I was 6 years old! And my parents moved a lot. I don't much care for most earthly possesions, but have a sister who will have to be moved with a ship of her own if she ever immigrated. So I guess it boils down to - what are you like and what do you need for you new life to be comfy?

Agree - I'm looking forward to buying lots of new things!
I'm lucky that I have some valuable items. But lots of stuff will be off to the tip - can't wait to get rid of the sofa. Though its a bit extreme moving to the other side of the world just to get a new sofa!

As for the kid stuff - just trying to illustrate that its hard to appreciate what some things mean to your kids and how they help them settle in. My folks didn't. But sounds like you took loads - with your 3 cases!

The first time I moved to Aus I lived in a VW campervan for a year. Won't need a ship like your sister but will be taking a bit more than I did then - including a husband and daughter! It will mainly be shipped though as we are spending 3 months travelling first.

But whatever anyone takes its a fresh start. And very exciting!!
Old Feb 11th 2005, 4:11 am
Just Joined

Leaver is on a distinguished road

We're in the curious position of having all the little things - pans, books, DVD players etc, but none of the big things (beds, sofas etc (due to spending the last 5 years in furnished accom. provided by the employer)).

Questions:

1. Is there any chance that it would be cheaper to buy everything here, hire a container and ship it all out? Are prices that different so as to make such a strategy worthwhile?

2. Someone earlier said that x boxes costed a few hundred to send. is this door to door? I've heard of nasty financial surprises at the other end which have not been accounted for.

I realise that most of Oz is currently asleep so apologies in advance if I need to bump this up later!!
Old Feb 11th 2005, 7:49 am
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Parker
Agree - I'm looking forward to buying lots of new things!
I'm lucky that I have some valuable items. But lots of stuff will be off to the tip - can't wait to get rid of the sofa. Though its a bit extreme moving to the other side of the world just to get a new sofa!

As for the kid stuff - just trying to illustrate that its hard to appreciate what some things mean to your kids and how they help them settle in. My folks didn't. But sounds like you took loads - with your 3 cases!

The first time I moved to Aus I lived in a VW campervan for a year. Won't need a ship like your sister but will be taking a bit more than I did then - including a husband and daughter! It will mainly be shipped though as we are spending 3 months travelling first.

But whatever anyone takes its a fresh start. And very exciting!!

It might seem a bit extreme to some to go that far to get rid of the sofa, but I did the same My kids had some vry sentimental things which were given to them by firneds and family and we bought that accross. We didn't know whether their Playstation 2 would work here so we bought another the moment we arrived, but bought their games along. I also got each of them a special thing to commemorate their move to a new country.
Old Feb 11th 2005, 10:50 am

NKSK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Leaver
We're in the curious position of having all the little things - pans, books, DVD players etc, but none of the big things (beds, sofas etc (due to spending the last 5 years in furnished accom. provided by the employer)).

Questions:

1. Is there any chance that it would be cheaper to buy everything here, hire a container and ship it all out? Are prices that different so as to make such a strategy worthwhile?

2. Someone earlier said that x boxes costed a few hundred to send. is this door to door? I've heard of nasty financial surprises at the other end which have not been accounted for.

I realise that most of Oz is currently asleep so apologies in advance if I need to bump this up later!!

as requested!!
Old Feb 11th 2005, 10:51 am
NEO LIVES

CORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Re: New Life..new Start ..new Stuff..???

[QUOTE=G'Day]It might seem a bit extreme to some to go that far to get rid of the sofa, but I did the same My kids had some vry sentimental things which were given to them by firneds and family and we bought that accross. We didn't know whether their Playstation 2 would work here so we bought another the moment we arrived, but bought their games along. I also got each of them a special thing to commemorate their move to a new country.[/QUOTE
Did the playstation games work on a AUS> machine...???
Old Feb 11th 2005, 11:08 am
Go Banana's !!

Sorry but I think anyone who has stuff worth more than the shipping costs and doesn't bring it is mad, absolutely bonkers.

You have no idea how much stuff is here to replace, wooden stuff alone is very expensive. I am so glad we brought everything and we still have to buy loads as the house we are building is bigger (and we had a large 4 bed in the UK) Plus you buy stuff out here that you wouldn't do in the UK, such as Eskies, fold up chairs etc etc for that outdoor lifestyle.

We have half of our stuff in the rental and the rest is in storage. The excitement on our littlen's face when her stuff turned up was worth $1,000,000,000,000....... Not to mention mine. Can't wait to get the rest.

I just think that it is just such a waste of money. Fair enough if you want to furnish your house from WA Salvage, but you'll only have to repalce it all in about 2 years when it all falls apart.

Sorry if this offends anyone, but I do feel very strongly about this and am only trying to help you wake up and smell the coffee.

Jill

Old Feb 11th 2005, 8:37 pm
joveazey

Hi all,

We aren't bringing furniture, only a small spinning wheel chair that my Grandma gave me and all our mirrors and rugs. We are also shipping clothes, books, cd's, dvds, pram, carrycot, toys etc. etc. We decided not to ship our furniture as the sofa is fit for the tip and the rest of it including white goods will sell for approx. £1700 here. Our stuff was all second hand when I bought my flat 9 years ago and is not stuff I would have chosen. I can't wait to be able to choose a new bed (oh yes, we are bringing our bed as it's a Mary Poppins kingsize job, and it can be our guest bed in Oz) but I want a super kingsize leather jobbie (do they sell them there ???)

Jo

Old Feb 11th 2005, 8:48 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CORKER
Did the playstation games work on a AUS> machine...???
Yes they will. Also games bought in Oz will work in UK machines

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.