Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

New Life..new Start ..new Stuff..???

Wikiposts

New Life..new Start ..new Stuff..???

Old Feb 8th 2005, 11:38 pm
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Life..new Start ..new Stuff..???

Originally Posted by samnrob2
And another thing...

We've been selling all our stuff second hand and it dawned on me that people are getting bloody good stuff for a fraction of the 'new' price. I won't be adverse to buying things second hand in Oz. Yeah you'll find a lot of crap but if someone's doing the reverse of what we're doing (selling up and moving) then there could be some bargains to be had!

Rob
Absolutlely!! We're def not adverse to buying stuff second hand when we arrive. Like I said before we're going to have soo much shopping to do I don't want to rush into buying the first thing I see because my kids are driving me mad & I just want it over with! I would then end up making an expensive impulsive mistake...(knowing me!) So maybe buying 2nd hand will provide us with what we need to be going on with and them replace these goods at a later date when we've decided exactly what we want.

Petra
Old Feb 8th 2005, 11:43 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by artep
Absolutlely!! We're def not adverse to buying stuff second hand when we arrive. Like I said before we're going to have soo much shopping to do I don't want to rush into buying the first thing I see because my kids are driving me mad & I just want it over with! I would then end up making an expensive impulsive mistake...(knowing me!) So maybe buying 2nd hand will provide us with what we need to be going on with and them replace these goods at a later date when we've decided exactly what we want.

Petra
Plus, if you move into rented to begin with, with the intention of buying once you're settled then the items you buy initially might not be suitable (size, colour, etc).

If you buy second hand then you won't loose out on much (if anything) when you come to sell them on again. I'm selling our super king size bed for £200 (partly because it's a frient buying it), but they are going to get an absolute bargain. You only have to look on ebay.com.au to see that there are similar things up for sale. Imagine what you can find if you trawl through the classifieds?

Rob
Old Feb 8th 2005, 11:46 pm
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

Plus, if you move into rented to begin with, with the intention of buying once you're settled then the items you buy initially might not be suitable (size, colour, etc).
My thoughts exactly...

Petra
Old Feb 8th 2005, 11:47 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

My thoughts exactly...

Petra
As with a lot of threads on here - it comes down to personal taste and standards - obviously mine aren't very high!
Old Feb 8th 2005, 11:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sandra
4 x 4 m rumpus room entertainment .......yes we put the pool table we shipped over from the UK it was lovely having all that space to use after having to keep it in the garage before.

It would be my worst nightmare trying to stay in a house with nothing and having all that shopping to do, imagine trying to replace the boring bits - beds, bedding, kitchen essentials, laundry baskets and the cost!

We brought the whole house and it was like Christmas when it arrived - as our house is bigger here as we buy new we put the old stuff in the extra rooms, eg spare beds for guests and sofas for the rumpus.

But agree it could be part of your adventure - enjoy
in your suitcases pack inflatable chairs, sofas and beds from argos! They are fab and we still use them now! Also extremely cheap!
Old Feb 8th 2005, 11:55 pm
....is FAB

As with a lot of threads on here - it comes down to personal taste and standards - obviously mine aren't very high!
You're right it does come down to personal taste and standards...but I think you're right about the 2nd hand stuff (with the exception of beds...dunno why as we all sleep in hotel beds ) I think buying 2nd hand when we arrive is just being practical. When we get there, there's going to be enough to do & sort out without having to make decisions about styles etc in my home. That's the sort of thing I want to take my time over...as will my other half....he's definatley NOT an impulsive buyer!!!
Old Feb 8th 2005, 11:57 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

I am definiteley on the ship everything side. Yes it is a big adventure but its great to have some home comforts and familliar things around you. There material things and do not stop you embracing the new life.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 11:59 pm
....is FAB

Originally Posted by HUP
I am definiteley on the ship everything side. Yes it is a big adventure but its great to have some home comforts and familliar things around you. There material things and do not stop you embracing the new life.
Definately....but we're not shipping absolutley everything...just the stuff that'll make the journey & not collapse when taken out of the house!!
Old Feb 8th 2005, 11:59 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

Originally Posted by HUP
I agree that if items mean a lot to you then take them. However if you have sofas, etc that you regard as 'just something you sit on' then it's worth getting shot. Perhaps, if all our stuff held sentimental value then we would take them.

Wife and I are only 25 / 26 so we've only had the most of our stuff for 3-4 years and it's all 'Ikea' type stuff - so nothing that can't be replaced like for like!

Rob
Old Feb 9th 2005, 12:14 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that if items mean a lot to you then take them. However if you have sofas, etc that you regard as 'just something you sit on' then it's worth getting shot. Perhaps, if all our stuff held sentimental value then we would take them.

Wife and I are only 25 / 26 so we've only had the most of our stuff for 3-4 years and it's all 'Ikea' type stuff - so nothing that can't be replaced like for like!

Rob
Its not just about sentimental. Its about familiarity. When our stuff arrived it was like Christmas. Both us and the kids were so stoked to have "our" stuff. We had already moved into our house and having our stuff turned it into our home.

We had speant ages buying all of that stuff. It wasn't just bought in a matter of a few shopping trips. Time, effort and a lot of money was speant. It certainly had more value and feeling to us than trawling around the likes of Good Guys, megamart etc and picking it all up while we felt rich with the exchange. The money was better speant on the house.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 12:48 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CORKER
If and when we get our VISA..we are a family of five and we will be taking all
our stuff in suitcases.....we just can't see the point of shipping all our old stuff to the otherside of the world...when we are supposed to be making a fresh start on a new continent..surley if you ship all your old stuff over there all you are doing is transfering your OLD lifestyle to a different place...this must alter your outlook on a new place when you've got the SAME old worldy stuff to go back to at the end of the days work......

Or is it just us.....

STEPHEN
like the MADSADS, we landed with just suitcases. we had a great couple of weeks gettin the things we wanted. all part of moving to Oz. we just haggled everyone to death to the point that the wife would walk oot the shop with a red face.
even if u ship it all over. u will still need to shop till u drop for a lot of things.
theres a few things i wish we had brought though.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 12:54 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HUP
Its not just about sentimental. Its about familiarity. When our stuff arrived it was like Christmas. Both us and the kids were so stoked to have "our" stuff. We had already moved into our house and having our stuff turned it into our home.

We had speant ages buying all of that stuff. It wasn't just bought in a matter of a few shopping trips. Time, effort and a lot of money was speant. It certainly had more value and feeling to us than trawling around the likes of Good Guys, megamart etc and picking it all up while we felt rich with the exchange. The money was better speant on the house.
some people buy cars and treat them like its a baby. every new car ive bought i looked at it as a tool.
i think its the way people look at their furniture.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 1:09 am
....is FAB

Originally Posted by soapy
some people buy cars and treat them like its a baby.
I think thats generally the people who don't have kids....they're the same with pets

....I know I'm probably gonna get chewed up and spat out for this.. but if we had a dog/cat there's NO WAY on this earth I'd spend the thousands some people do shipping their pets. I'd have to re-house them. I'm not having a go at anyone for doing it...its just my opinion.

Petra
Old Feb 9th 2005, 2:46 am
Prisoner of Her Majesty

I think thats generally the people who don't have kids....they're the same with pets

....I know I'm probably gonna get chewed up and spat out for this.. but if we had a dog/cat there's NO WAY on this earth I'd spend the thousands some people do shipping their pets. I'd have to re-house them. I'm not having a go at anyone for doing it...its just my opinion.

Petra
I know people who would say the same about their kids!

Rob
Old Feb 9th 2005, 3:04 am
....is FAB

I know people who would say the same about their kids!

Rob
Hmmm....now THERE'S a thought!!!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.