Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

New Life..new Start ..new Stuff..???

Wikiposts

New Life..new Start ..new Stuff..???

Old Feb 8th 2005, 11:17 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Life..new Start ..new Stuff..???

Originally Posted by CORKER
With shipping costs of around £3,000 surley this will buy a fair bit of furniture.. and what about all this outdoor Australian way of life stuff.....I don't intend to spend too much of our time in the house anyway..
STEPHEN
exchange rate of 2.5 say = $7500

I might be being a bit snobbish but this isn't even what I paid for my suite. I will admit it is a very nice leather suite. Ok seriously you can get a decent suite for around 4k or less but because I brought mine I could use that old one until I had the money to afford the decadent leather recliner one I had always dreamed about.

I could not furnish a house here for a family of four with $7500 even with using the fantastic furniture starter kits. Think about the price of a computer or something more mundane like towels. Crappy bath sheets here are about $20. Beds for us when we changed the kids ones over cost $1200 for two, including matresses. I know you can do with an awful lot less or buy cheaper stuff but then it just falls apart quicker. This is just my opinion - I know I only missed the things I did not bring when doing things like cooking and not having the discoloured mixing bowl which was good for eggs, or things like that. I now have time to search for my new bargains and change over things in my time.

You still need a plastic table and chairs for the outside life and don't forget the big umbrella for shade. (yes I brought all mine) You get to be out and about a fair bit but remember it gets dark here at 5.00 in the winter and it is also bloody cold in some houses. So big duvets and hot water bottles are the norm in my house as we watch DVDs some evenings. Do need the kids to have their bikes or skateboards and roller boots for some of the outdoor life ?or what about the board games they have that you all play as a family. Again only my opinion but stripping everything away could be harsh for some kids I know mine like Hevs kids thought Australia was that bit better with familiar things around them.

But this is only personal opinion I am sure many have done the buy all new bit and been absolutely fine and enjoyed the experience.

Make sure you let us know how it all goes.

Cheers
Old Feb 8th 2005, 9:04 pm
frozen to the keyboard

Brissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura about

we are taking pretty much all of our stuff with us - that's loads of books, cooking stuff, crockery, cutlery, etc etc (lots of boxes worth). All our linen etc, but no duvets & pillows (will buy them new out there). We are taking various bits of furniture, all our gardening tools (still to be steam cleaned!!), and other bits and pieces.. will be in the region of £3000, but we figure we don't want to buy EVERYTHING new out there... but we are also lucky that I have a few bits of furniture at my parents house in Brisbane, so we won't be totally unfurnished in the mean time.. but we will be most pleased when we get our things.. they will make our new house a home...

We don't fly out until April, but I think all our stuff will be packed next month sometime...
Old Feb 8th 2005, 9:56 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jayr
Trust me its no adventure to spend the next few years replacing everything you once owned by got rid of for a 1/10th the price it costs to replace. Add up the replacement cost of what you need, if you buy the cheapest available thing of everything you will find it still comes to tens of $,000s of dollars.

Here's some approx prices of cheap stuff:

Double/queen bed $800
Sofa $500-1000
Fridge 400l - $700
WM $600-800
68cm TV - $300
Hoover - $100

Then there's iron, ironing board, manchester, mop, cutlery, pans, plates, mugs, kitchenware, laundry basket, pegs. computer desk, cd holders, tv cabinet, outdoor furniture, hose, bucket, set of knives, etc.etc.

Now I think I'd prefer to ship all that crap and keep the money I saved to have a real adventure frankly.
I'm really confused and am probably stoopid or something but...

My wife and I are not taking anything with us parlty for the cost reason. By not shipping, we've 'saved' £3,000. Looking at the costs above, it looks like from selling all our equivalent items here, we are going to be able to buy new in Oz and still have money left over. Even if you double the above prices that is still pretty cheap.

Still I guess it depends on what people manage to sell their items for. As a word of advice to ppl not looking to take their 'big' items, we hosted an 'open house' last weekend and sold loads. We posted flyers a week before through doors and in the local shop notice boards. We've made a few grand just from selling the bits and pieces round the house.

Rob
Old Feb 8th 2005, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

Amanda5 will become famous soon enoughAmanda5 will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: New Life..new Start ..new Stuff..???

If and when we get our VISA..we are a family of five and we will be taking all
our stuff in suitcases.....we just can't see the point of shipping all our old stuff to the otherside of the world...when we are supposed to be making a fresh start on a new continent..surley if you ship all your old stuff over there all you are doing is transfering your OLD lifestyle to a different place...this must alter your outlook on a new place when you've got the SAME old worldy stuff to go back to at the end of the days work......

Or is it just us.....

STEPHEN
We are also a family of fiveand just beginning the process.I plan to only take what we can carry in suitcases too! Will probably ship out a couple of boxes-photos etc,but nothing else.Youre right its a new start! People here think were mad having taken years to get our home together,but none of it will be on the antiques road show!I dont see the piont in paying huge amoonuts when it can be replaced fairly cheaply in Aus! Part of the adventure will be living in new surrounds threrfore followed by new things.Glad to hear not just us!
Old Feb 8th 2005, 10:09 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Its all of the "little bits" that really add up, as jr says it comes in at 10 of thousand, not a "few grand"
I don't know where he got his hoover price from, to replace my dyson its gonna cost $500 plus!!

Of course it all depends what quality you buy, but there only so much stuff you can buy from "Wharehouse" or the 2 dollar shop

Just to replace our stove (and range hood) washing machine, kettle, toaster, fridge freezer, dishwasher various kitchen goods, blender, dish drainers etcand garden stuff (lawn mower, table and chairs, strimmer, edge cutters, spade fork etc) has cost well over $15 grand (and please don't anyone dare tell me i'm extravagant, thats what it cost!) Thank god we brought everything else I was bored of shopping by then and i think the kids would have wanted to go home if we'd dragged them round anymore shops for sure!
Old Feb 8th 2005, 10:12 pm
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

As I said in my orig post...if you can afford to do it...fine. The general opinion of peeps here on expats seem to think you ought to ship.

Apart from all our personal stuff.....and believe me...I reckon personal stuff takes up more boxes than we think!! We're taking our king size bed...its not new but it will do great as a spare one, 1 sofa bed, 1 small 2 seater sofa (great for a rumpus) 2 chests of drawers and the final large item is my wall unit in my lounge. One of the main reasons I'm definately taking all these items is I KNOW that we wont have the money to replace them as my hubby sees most of them as 'un-vital' (if thats the right word ) items. We can live without a wall unit....but I fought him long and hard to get it and I'm NOT parting with it!!
I also fought him long and hard for the 2 sofas (esp the sofa bed)...so again I WONT be parting with 'em! If I let him talk me into parting with my bed too it will be a nightmare getting him to buy a spare one!!!

We'll have enough shopping to do when we arrive (esp with kids in tow) :scared: plus I reckon having a bit of familiarity around us will help us all settle better.

Oh 3 more large items I forgot...the computers...my sons would never forgive me if I left them behind!!!

Petra
Old Feb 8th 2005, 10:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, we re just in the process of sorting things out and deciding what we want to take and what not to take.I think the vast majority of things we will be bringing with us,except the crap of course,i understand what you mean about a new life and a fresh start,but as the majority of good three piece suites these days cost around £2000,and thats just one item, i cant imagine you getting much in oz for £3000,i guess it depends on what kind of state your things are in to start with,but even if they are past there best at least they will start you off,until you maybe get a job and you dont have to dip into your savings.
Trudgeing around furniture and hardware stores is not my idea of exploring,i can think of better things to explore when we first get there,it ll be enough having to find the right place to live,looking at areas and houses ect,without having to go out and buy knives and forks and bedding

tracey.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 10:36 pm
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

Just the THOUGHT of trawling round too many shops with my kids in tow fill me with horror!!! :scared: I know there's going to be a certain amount that has to be done like buying a lounge suite (mine's totally knackered) but still........its not something I'm looking froward to
Old Feb 8th 2005, 10:52 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
We came to Brisbane with only jam packed suitcases! rented a large 4bed house & fully furnished it all within a week! bought everything right down to the clothes pegs,we have a few luxurys too of course! for everything it has cost us about £6500,everything brand new.
Having to buy all this back home would have cost us at least double,it was great fun, but boy im so sick of shopping!!

Included in all this is all our set up bills,paid 3mths rent in advance,bond,electricity,phone etc...

The kids have all been bought new bikes & other bits & pieces.

It doesnt have to be a case of trudging round shops either,we stuck to 2/3 shops & lots of places give you a discount if your buying several things & paying cash.
Everything we bought also got delivered next day-no problems! (not like back home where you can wait up to 6wks for a suite!!)

Donna.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 10:56 pm
....is FAB

Originally Posted by madsad
Hi,
We came to Brisbane with only jam packed suitcases! rented a large 4bed house & fully furnished it all within a week! bought everything right down to the clothes pegs,we have a few luxurys too of course! for everything it has cost us about £6500,everything brand new.
Having to buy all this back home would have cost us at least double,it was great fun, but boy im so sick of shopping!!

Included in all this is all our set up bills,paid 3mths rent in advance,bond,electricity,phone etc...

The kids have all been bought new bikes & other bits & pieces.

It doesnt have to be a case of trudging round shops either,we stuck to 2/3 shops & lots of places give you a discount if your buying several things & paying cash.
Everything we bought also got delivered next day-no problems! (not like back home where you can wait up to 6wks for a suite!!)

Donna.
Right I want the list of shops you went to!!! That's my sort of shopping!
Old Feb 8th 2005, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

midge04 has a brilliant futuremidge04 has a brilliant futuremidge04 has a brilliant futuremidge04 has a brilliant futuremidge04 has a brilliant futuremidge04 has a brilliant future

If and when we get our VISA..we are a family of five and we will be taking all
our stuff in suitcases.....we just can't see the point of shipping all our old stuff to the otherside of the world...when we are supposed to be making a fresh start on a new continent..surley if you ship all your old stuff over there all you are doing is transfering your OLD lifestyle to a different place...this must alter your outlook on a new place when you've got the SAME old worldy stuff to go back to at the end of the days work......

Or is it just us.....

STEPHEN
My hubby feels the same way, he thinks we should leave it all behind and just take our suitcases. We will be staying with relatives at first for a while. But really the only stuff we want to take are, wedding albums and videos, stuff like that photos of the kids and family etc that i have collected along the way.

Maybe take the TV's, DVD's, CD's, Computer, and playstation, not sure what to do about kids toys/bikes.

But all the other stuff, sofa, fridge, washing machine, beds, wardrobes, bedding etc, we will selling off. Might not have anywhere to store it for a while as we are staying at someone elses's house.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 11:21 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by midge04
My hubby feels the same way, he thinks we should leave it all behind and just take our suitcases. We will be staying with relatives at first for a while. But really the only stuff we want to take are, wedding albums and videos, stuff like that photos of the kids and family etc that i have collected along the way.

Maybe take the TV's, DVD's, CD's, Computer, and playstation, not sure what to do about kids toys/bikes.

But all the other stuff, sofa, fridge, washing machine, beds, wardrobes, bedding etc, we will selling off. Might not have anywhere to store it for a while as we are staying at someone elses's house.
check out googuys.com.au...

get a postcode from one of the 'locations' and then enter the postcode number into the 'catalogue' section...the prices are bloody cheap.

I sold my 42" rear projection TV for nearly £1000 ($2,465) For the same price I can pretty much get a plasma TV. DVD recorders = £120!!! Fridge for £101!!!

That's all before you start getting discount for buying cash.

Taking into account you can 'save' £3000 for not taking a container - I can easily see how you can furnish a 4 bed house for around £6,500!!!

As for trudging round shops...I for one think it will be great. We're all going to Oz to live not for holidays, so going round new shops will, in itself, be an adventure.

Rob
Old Feb 8th 2005, 11:26 pm
....is FAB

Originally Posted by samnrob2
As for trudging round shops...I for one think it will be great. We're all going to Oz to live not for holidays, so going round new shops will, in itself, be an adventure.

I'm sorry but I've yet to find trudging round shops with 3 kids an 'adventure' ....torture yes....an adventure.......no
Old Feb 8th 2005, 11:28 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by samnrob2
check out googuys.com.au...

get a postcode from one of the 'locations' and then enter the postcode number into the 'catalogue' section...the prices are bloody cheap.

I sold my 42" rear projection TV for nearly £1000 ($2,465) For the same price I can pretty much get a plasma TV. DVD recorders = £120!!! Fridge for £101!!!

That's all before you start getting discount for buying cash.

Taking into account you can 'save' £3000 for not taking a container - I can easily see how you can furnish a 4 bed house for around £6,500!!!

Rob

Goodguys is where we bought the bulk of our electrical goods,you get some good deals plus a savings voucher towards your next purchase-great value!!

Donna.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 11:32 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

Originally Posted by artep
I'm sorry but I've yet to find trudging round shops with 3 kids an 'adventure' ....torture yes....an adventure.......no
And another thing...

We've been selling all our stuff second hand and it dawned on me that people are getting bloody good stuff for a fraction of the 'new' price. I won't be adverse to buying things second hand in Oz. Yeah you'll find a lot of crap but if someone's doing the reverse of what we're doing (selling up and moving) then there could be some bargains to be had!

Rob

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.