Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

a new life downunder

a new life downunder

Old Dec 19th 2003, 8:25 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Like others, I didn't find the Skeggs too bad at all - nothing like I expected.

So there was the odd whinge, it's understandable. But the whinges were accompanied by a sense of humour, something the previous families seemed to be lacking, and I think this will stand them in good stead.

The thing that impressed me is when they were talking about the possibility of going back to the UK and Mandy said that they wouldn't sell the house in Perth - they would go back to the UK, test the waters and make a decision based on that. Pretty open-minded really.

Perth looked beautiful - it's the one aussie city I've yet to visit.
Old Dec 19th 2003, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

brummie bird is on a distinguished road

Dont you think some of these problems are down to the fact that they must have got a fast tracked visa, this allows no time for research or reading and contributing to a forum like this, and having a good idea what to expect.

I now, after reading this forum expect to find it hard to find work, a degree of pommie bashing, be homesick for a rather long time, but will get through it. Food and household items not really cheaper. Sun quite unbearable in height of summer. But perth is beautiful we will be able to build our own house and have no mortgage, the children will enjoy a wonderful outdoor life style. I now just have a more balanced view than i did at the beginning and im glad im not going with the view that it will solve all our problems and everything will be rosy

Angie.
Old Dec 19th 2003, 8:46 am
Badge

Bundy, I have to be really honest and say Perth was not for me - the beaches seemed stale - Cottisloe seemed so average - in some ways..and I'm not even a beach person!! It did seem isolated, and there were a few things I couldn't put my finger on..

Badge

:scared:

Old Dec 19th 2003, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

Originally posted by sj oldfield
Anyone know exactly what time these are repeated.
Desperate to watch tonights, only out stuffing my face with work mates on our christmas meal.

cant even video it as the video died!
Are you also suffering the I-don't-want-to-go-to-Australia disease among your electrical appliances?
Old Dec 19th 2003, 9:04 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by badgersmount
Bundy, I have to be really honest and say Perth was not for me - the beaches seemed stale - Cottisloe seemed so average - in some ways..and I'm not even a beach person!! It did seem isolated, and there were a few things I couldn't put my finger on..

Badge

:scared:

Hmmm...well, we'll have to check it out for ourselves. Mr Bundy hasn't been either. We'd never settle there - too many family and friends in the East, but I'd like to see the place. And as we want to head off across the Nullarbor, we'll no doubt get to Perth at some point.

I can take beaches or leave 'em. I'd rather have mountains. Which is why I live in Cambridge, ha ha ha.
Old Dec 19th 2003, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

gottogo is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pookin
Please don't base your decision on a TV programme! The Perth suburbs are much nicer than the UK ones with lots of different style houses rather than row after row of identical ones.

You don't have to force yourself on people - it just takes time.
Once your face has been seen in your local enough times and they finally realise that you're not on holiday or backpacking you'll find that people always stop for a chat and remember what you said last time and ask a couple of questions about how things are getting on. Also local shopkeepers will start to remember you and ask after your job-hunting etc.

Thanks for this - you are right of course and my comments were made in the heat of the moment having just watched the programme. We are planning to see for ourselves before making any final decisions, but we may now also consider the East Coast as suggested by one of the less friendly replies!

we were just hoping to see a more positive view of things
Old Dec 19th 2003, 9:17 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

In terms of atmosphere and the feel of the place, I would say that Perth is like Brissy , but just too isolated.

It's nice , but a tad far when the wife runs of out shops to visit.
Old Dec 19th 2003, 9:25 am
Badge

also it's not the isolation - I mean, you don't go around saying "it's another Monday morning, bloody hell I'm closer to Singapore than Sydney' - I mean a Londoner may only leave London once every 3 months for example - but there's something about it that feels quiet - maybe too quiet. I'd actually be really isolated in an outback town than be in Perth. That's why I can't quite put my finger on it..

Badge

Old Dec 19th 2003, 9:32 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

Like you Bundy I thought the Skeggs were not to bad really.

Granted they moaned but I thought they had a good attitude and seemed willing to stick it out and not run home at the first sign of bad luck.

Perth (city centre) looked pretty much like every other Aussie city I have seen. Lots of high rises and looked as though it could be any city in the USA. Although the out of city areas and beaches looked extrememly pleasant.

TT

Originally posted by bundy
Like others, I didn't find the Skeggs too bad at all - nothing like I expected.

So there was the odd whinge, it's understandable. But the whinges were accompanied by a sense of humour, something the previous families seemed to be lacking, and I think this will stand them in good stead.

The thing that impressed me is when they were talking about the possibility of going back to the UK and Mandy said that they wouldn't sell the house in Perth - they would go back to the UK, test the waters and make a decision based on that. Pretty open-minded really.

Perth looked beautiful - it's the one aussie city I've yet to visit.
Old Dec 19th 2003, 9:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Just a few things to add which mightn't have been mentioned about last night's program. Obviously the UK version didn't have some bits which have been shown in Australia and the fact that the Skeggs were shown for a whole hour meant that they came across differently here. The bits about the T-shirt and the birds being depressed weren't shown (unless I missed them). They did seem more normal and ordinary to me than the previous 3 families. Normal teenagers, normal and expected homesickness (convert it into 'real' money was a funny one), nice house and car they had etc. At times I felt sorry for Mick - and the poor old son when we 'did them' at West Ham!

The reasons for migrating seemed unusual and not discussed at any length in the program - they had 'money troubles' so were packing up for a new life because Mandy saw a nursing vacancy in Perth in a paper and so they moved. They had lived all their life in Hertfordshire (Stevenage mostly) and wouldn't contemplate a move to Bedfordshire but here they were going to Perth. One family member left at 'home' again which must make the move more difficult (as it showed when son announced he wouldn't be able to afford to visit).

Money troubles and yet they spent £4,000 on moving their pets out there (?). When they were on their building site adjoining the golf club they discussed just letting the pets run on the golf course - can't do that 'you know what those Aussies are like they would shoot them' says Mandy. (Would anyone really say that with cameras rolling?) Like billy I laughed at the no shade comment - umm put a house there and there will be. The discussion with one of the builders was funny also. They were discussing how to reduce the cost and she wanted a bigger kitchen, bigger wardrobes etc - the look from the builder said it all.

So all in all the best of the 4 family experiences so far and yes, it's fly on the wall, soapie/documentary and intended mainly for entertainment than education but there was some good stuff running in the background - views of Perth etc and wasn't it magnificent down near Cape Leeuwin lighthouse and in Margaret River. Contradictory bit of info - Perth is the 2nd most popular destination with Brits Peter O'Brien said but they gave figures in a previous episode which put Sydney first and Melbourne second. They might be talking applications or whatever and not actual people on the ground though.

There's no episode on Christmas Day but one on New Year's Day and 4 repeats as someone else said. The 5th episode looks like it's back to the sort of thing in the first 3 - a lady moves with her children after splitting from her husband just before they leave. Anyone know where it is that the lady from Blackpool goes to?

OzTennis
Old Dec 19th 2003, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

PeterAndSue is an unknown quantity at this point

A lot of my thoughts have already been expressed on this thread already.
The only thing that I would like to add about the MRS is this.

I have three young children ( I am the dad not the mum) and if they all grow up to like me as much as they seemed to like their mum. I will be happy.
The kids where nice normal children , which in most cases says something positive about the parents !
Old Dec 19th 2003, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sandy.l is on a distinguished road

How about the Sunday Session, now that appealed!! It reminded me of our time in Brisbane on Australia day, we spent the day at South Bank with our family who already live there. We found that everyone was so friendly I'm not a very outgoing person, but my Husband can talk to anyone. We spotted this huge family (several kids of various ages) heading towards the table next to us, they were swaying all over and could barely stand, even the kids looked like they'd had one too many, we were dreading it. But what a lovely family they were, the kids were friendly and fussing over the little ones, Mum & Dad were great fun, really chatty, and we ended up having one of our most memorable days. They even offered us their house for our next visit as they were moving up the Coast, but keeping their Brissie house!

And of course the firework display was to die for, the kids still in the pool in the evening, most surprising was all the children who stood and sung the national anthem and looked as though they meant it.

I really do not have rose tinted glasses! The most amazing thing I found about Brisbane was the kids, I never heard one Aussie kid swear, one schoolboy gave his seat to an old lady on the metro and offered advice on routes to a tourist who was having trouble with the map!

I would be really proud if I witnessed that of my two kids!

Enjoyed the show, but Mrs Skeggs seemed very negative from the start, we liked Hubby who seemed very relaxed and quietly positive about the beautiful place they were in. The trip away seemed to help them as well.

I'm waffling now.....

Sandy
Old Dec 19th 2003, 12:15 pm
Badge

yeah, have to admit, I have found Aussie kids to be incredible at times..

not 'help, then have a laugh as soon as your back is turned' type behaviour..

Badge

Old Dec 19th 2003, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

graham__smith has a spectacular aura aboutgraham__smith has a spectacular aura aboutgraham__smith has a spectacular aura about

Someone on this thread said that they are going to repeat the programme.
Does anyone know when as my recording cut off the end ten minutes or so. Curse videoplus.
thanks.
Old Dec 19th 2003, 1:53 pm
She's a bird, you know

Originally posted by badgersmount
yeah, have to admit, I have found Aussie kids to be incredible at times..

not 'help, then have a laugh as soon as your back is turned' type behaviour..

Badge

And they always seem to call people 'Mr...' or 'Mrs...' etc. Don't get that over here.

Mr Bundy's little half-sister may be a total tearaway, but she's respectful of her elders and incredibly polite when needed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.