Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

a new life downunder

a new life downunder

Old Dec 18th 2003, 9:58 pm
WBB

Originally posted by Well travelled
each to own, just feel that when you go elsewhere you shouldn't compare too much and expect that you are moving to mini uk........hey if anyone is they are in for a shock, yes stressful but we all don't knock the place!!!

i agree with that but if you had a camera stuck in your face for months and edited down to under an hour do you think you would be shown in your best light?

i know i would'nt.

Old Dec 18th 2003, 10:01 pm
Just Joined

Well travelled is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by welshboybilly
i agree with that but if you had a camera stuck in your face for months and edited down to under an hour do you think you would be shown in your best light?

i know i would'nt.

think i may have tried...............
Old Dec 18th 2003, 10:34 pm
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

you are bound to compare things at first tho, surely?

Mind you, the converting things back into pounds 'real money' irratated me a bit.
Old Dec 18th 2003, 10:39 pm
WBB

Originally posted by Pollster
you are bound to compare things at first tho, surely?

Mind you, the converting things back into pounds 'real money' irratated me a bit.

we have all done it, i know going to spain and comparing your euros is a little different to moving to the other side of the world but it is the natural thing to do.

does not mean much though because of the difference in wages.

Old Dec 18th 2003, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

gottogo is an unknown quantity at this point

Both me and the wife have definitely started having second thoughts about going to Perth following this programme, as we were able to identify with this family more than in the previous episodes.

Firstly, the suburbs do give the appearance of a ghost town, which is the last thing you want when being so isolated.

Secondly, it does seem you need to almost force yourself on others if you want a social life and we admit to not being very outgoing people - I really felt for them at that posh do they went to when everyone ignored them after half an hour!

Will our children also feel the isolation as much as their kids did?

Worry, worry.....
Old Dec 18th 2003, 11:51 pm
No wuckin furries mate

brox is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I have to admit it the best thing on. I happen to think Mrs Skegg is great and makes great TV viewing ( which im sure is what the producers thought)

Over here we get an update of a few families all in one programme and Im finding myself watching it only to see how The Skeggs are doing.

I hate to think of all the bad press she is going to get over this as most of the things she says are only what alot of people are thinking. I now find myself waiting at the traffic lights and saying to the kids ( You could knit a jumper waiting for these to change!!)

After 8 months we love it here, but she does have some valid comments ( The crows do sound depressed dont they!!)

Mrs Brox
Old Dec 19th 2003, 12:07 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by gottogo
Both me and the wife have definitely started having second thoughts about going to Perth following this programme, as we were able to identify with this family more than in the previous episodes.

Firstly, the suburbs do give the appearance of a ghost town, which is the last thing you want when being so isolated.

Secondly, it does seem you need to almost force yourself on others if you want a social life and we admit to not being very outgoing people - I really felt for them at that posh do they went to when everyone ignored them after half an hour!

Worry, worry.....

So you base life changing decisions on crappy fly on the wall docos? I take it you haven't visited Perth.

Do us all a favour and don't bother, mabe the Eastern States will be more to your liking.
Old Dec 19th 2003, 12:15 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by renth
So you base life changing decisions on crappy fly on the wall docos? I take it you haven't visited Perth.

Do us all a favour and don't bother, mabe the Eastern States will be more to your liking.
Ah, no, Renth, mate! He wouldn't like it over here - people over here grumble, they whinge, and there are several people in Sydney who haven't invited me around for dinner.... Unfriendly, stand-offish lot!

Hey, 'gototgo', if you've got to go, then decide for yourself if you're going to go. Have you been out and checked the place out for yourself?
Old Dec 19th 2003, 12:17 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by renth

Nooooooooooooooo, dont start that Renth!
Old Dec 19th 2003, 12:21 am
Be true to your skew

Pookin is an unknown quantity at this point

Worry, worry.....
Please don't base your decision on a TV programme! The Perth suburbs are much nicer than the UK ones with lots of different style houses rather than row after row of identical ones.

You don't have to force yourself on people - it just takes time.
Once your face has been seen in your local enough times and they finally realise that you're not on holiday or backpacking you'll find that people always stop for a chat and remember what you said last time and ask a couple of questions about how things are getting on. Also local shopkeepers will start to remember you and ask after your job-hunting etc.

This is sensationalised/highly edited TV.
Old Dec 19th 2003, 7:33 am
Now in Mandurah

Pauline is a jewel in the roughPauline is a jewel in the roughPauline is a jewel in the roughPauline is a jewel in the roughPauline is a jewel in the rough

I thought they were ok this week as well. I did laugh when she said about M & S knickers, I have heard that from alot of people and when they come for a holiday etc over here that is the 1st place they head for.
I am glad the daughter settled in the end otherwise I think Mum would definately of come back.
I used to swim on that beach in Cottesloe it is as nice as it looks.

But know matter what happens your life style change is how you make it and you cannot compere it to here, what is the point in having a change if that is all you do !!!!! You will never move on.

:PARTY:
All I can say is bring it on can`t wait to go back!!!!!!!
Old Dec 19th 2003, 7:57 am
Account Closed

dazzac is an unknown quantity at this point

Worry, worry.....
You don't identify with them, you're your own people and will have completely differant experiences, good & bad.
Be positive , its an adventure , its another country with new things to do and see.
....for ghost town, read relaxed and quiet subrub - you know, the sort of thing we don't have of in the Uk anymore.
....force yourself on others??? have you ever had to do that any where?...new friends will take time to find but surely thats a forgone conclusion.
Did you miss the images of the rays, the beaches, the oceans.
Have you ever had a new house built to your own spec?

.....open thine eyes and thy will see.........
Old Dec 19th 2003, 8:04 am
Seriously Senior Member

Blim is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, Blim and I watched it, Baileys in hand (just had to buy some after the lounge thread) and laughed ourselves silly! They were characters... funny how the hubby loved going to work to get away from the family! Perth looked lovely.
Larissa
Can just imagine her as a midwife!!! :scared:
Old Dec 19th 2003, 8:15 am
Wishing on a star...

cherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud of

One thing I have found annoying with this series is that all the families seem to want to run before they can walk. The first thing they all seem to do is rent an overlarge overpriced house, buy a nearly new car, try and build within a few months so that they pay rent and a mortagage, and then whine about lack of money. We have always tried to be careful when he have gone to Aus, picked houses and cars that were sensible, instead of trying to be top of the ladder when we dont have the means or experience to do it.
Old Dec 19th 2003, 8:23 am
Be true to your skew

Pookin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by cherry6
One thing I have found annoying with this series is that all the families seem to want to run before they can walk. The first thing they all seem to do is rent an overlarge overpriced house, buy a nearly new car, try and build within a few months so that they pay rent and a mortagage, and then whine about lack of money. We have always tried to be careful when he have gone to Aus, picked houses and cars that were sensible, instead of trying to be top of the ladder when we dont have the means or experience to do it.
Totally agree. We're both looking forward to buying a house and stuff when we've both got permanent jobs and saved the deposit.

Will be nice to choose a car by make or colour rather than just price, too!

Baby steps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.