Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

New Life Down Under - Melbourne

New Life Down Under - Melbourne

Old Jan 8th 2004, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

noodle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New Life Down Under - Melbourne

Just to remind any of you Melbourne bound folks, the programme's on tonight, channel 4, 8pm. I think it's all gonna go wrong for them, but I for one will be interested to see what it looks like there, having never been.
Old Jan 8th 2004, 11:42 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Life Down Under - Melbourne

Originally posted by noodle
Just to remind any of you Melbourne bound folks, the programme's on tonight, channel 4, 8pm. I think it's all gonna go wrong for them, but I for one will be interested to see what it looks like there, having never been.

It could never go well, now could it?!! No good for ratings. I shall sit watching it whilst wearing a crash helmet as Mr Bundy rants and raves about whinging poms...
Old Jan 8th 2004, 11:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Troood will become famous soon enough

I will rush home, open a bottle of vino and plonk myself in front of the box. We're heading for Victoria (state nominated) - have never been either so am looking forward to seeing it - especialy the beaches. Really fancy living by the sea....dream, dream, dream.....
Old Jan 8th 2004, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

S Oldfield is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it definately on at 8? Last week it was a bit earleir and I missed the beginning.
Old Jan 8th 2004, 11:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Yep, fancy a bottle of wine myself, but I'm trying to diet! Drat! I've just checked teletext and it is on at 8 pm. I hope it helps to make my mind up as I'm feeling unsure again at the moment. maybe it's coz I've had such a greeat Christmas and New Year!!
Old Jan 8th 2004, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yep, fancy a bottle of wine myself, but I'm trying to diet! Drat! I've just checked teletext and it is on at 8 pm. I hope it helps to make my mind up as I'm feeling unsure again at the moment. maybe it's coz I've had such a greeat Christmas and New Year!!

I'll be rushing home from Weight Watchers - hence the bottle of vino. I too am trying to lose weight, but a treat a week hopefully won't kill me!!

I know what you mean about feeling unsure. I watched a melbourne dvd last night and it didn't inspire me at all. Mind you it was all based on suburbs and housing. I wanted to see beaches etc!! I'm trying to not get disheartened and keep thinking it's an adventure, a new chapter in our lives. Thats what keeps me going. EVERYTHING is up in the air for us at the moment, trying to exchange contracts, sort out medicals etc, etc. Feeling vunerable and stressed is a common thing for me now - but it's got to be worth it
Old Jan 8th 2004, 12:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Troood
I'll be rushing home from Weight Watchers - hence the bottle of vino. I too am trying to lose weight, but a treat a week hopefully won't kill me!!

I know what you mean about feeling unsure. I watched a melbourne dvd last night and it didn't inspire me at all. Mind you it was all based on suburbs and housing. I wanted to see beaches etc!! I'm trying to not get disheartened and keep thinking it's an adventure, a new chapter in our lives. Thats what keeps me going. EVERYTHING is up in the air for us at the moment, trying to exchange contracts, sort out medicals etc, etc. Feeling vunerable and stressed is a common thing for me now - but it's got to be worth it

A treat a week is fine, but once I've started.....it turns into a treat once a week, and then all weekend. must be strong as it is all the wine and cheese I've eaten recently that i am trying to lose!

Anyway as for Melbourne. We're still waiting to hear whether my husband can get his skills assessed by the ACS, but all this waiting kind of makes you think, is it worth it. I am happy here, but I can't stick this awful weather and that's the one thing that keeps me going. I dont know, for once in my life I just want to settle down and stay put for the next ten years and I think if things don't go our way soon reagrding visa's etc, then I'll give it all up. I'll probably change my mind again next month Now you're in the middle of it all, you may aswell go for it. I've heard some really positive things from people over there and it seems that there are a lot going after May time, so you'll all have to meet up. Anyway, best of luck to you Trood. I'll be thinking of you when I'm supping me wine
Old Jan 8th 2004, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

krissy is an unknown quantity at this point

I will rush home, open a bottle of vino and plonk myself in front of the box. We're heading for Victoria (state nominated) - have never been either so am looking forward to seeing it - especialy the beaches. Really fancy living by the sea....dream, dream, dream.....
I'll be glued to the screen tonight as we're hoping to go State Nominated to Melbourne. No doubt my in-laws will be overjoyed if it shows them having a bad time (talk about peeing on your bonfire!).
Troood, how far along the process are you?

Kris
Old Jan 8th 2004, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

A treat a week is fine, but once I've started.....it turns into a treat once a week, and then all weekend. must be strong as it is all the wine and cheese I've eaten recently that i am trying to lose!

Anyway as for Melbourne. We're still waiting to hear whether my husband can get his skills assessed by the ACS, but all this waiting kind of makes you think, is it worth it. I am happy here, but I can't stick this awful weather and that's the one thing that keeps me going. I dont know, for once in my life I just want to settle down and stay put for the next ten years and I think if things don't go our way soon reagrding visa's etc, then I'll give it all up. I'll probably change my mind again next month Now you're in the middle of it all, you may aswell go for it. I've heard some really positive things from people over there and it seems that there are a lot going after May time, so you'll all have to meet up. Anyway, best of luck to you Trood. I'll be thinking of you when I'm supping me wine

Mmmm, wine & cheese - top nosh. I've just munched through a tonne of lettuce! Urgh!

If we successfully exchange contracts then there's defo no turning back for us. (as long as our visa's come through). I need to do this as I don't want to sit in my rocking chair in years to come and have regrets. We'll give it 2 years and see how life goes for us down under. I want better things for my 'soon-to-be 2 year old', I'd go to hell and back for him.

I'm sure you will change your mind regularly - but keep on this site as the "positive" feedback always helps.

ACS might surprise you and come back any day now - then it's onwards and upwards.

Good luck whichever way you end up going. Take care and hopefully we'll enjoy tonights program
Old Jan 8th 2004, 12:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by krissy
I'll be glued to the screen tonight as we're hoping to go State Nominated to Melbourne. No doubt my in-laws will be overjoyed if it shows them having a bad time (talk about peeing on your bonfire!).
Troood, how far along the process are you?

Kris

Greetings - Dimia have our application (since 21st Oct) and were notified that we had been accepted for state nomination on 7th November. I sent our police checks in during December and we're having our medicals in January. HOPING to have visa's by about April. Then want to emigrate end of October.

What about you???
Old Jan 8th 2004, 12:59 pm
WBB

cheers for the reminder, i missed last weeks show with new year and all that

will set the sky tv now.

Old Jan 8th 2004, 1:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bundy
It could never go well, now could it?!! No good for ratings. I shall sit watching it whilst wearing a crash helmet as Mr Bundy rants and raves about whinging poms...
This time he will be ranting and raving about Billy's lot as the family are from Swansea I believe. I personally don't include the Welsh in the term pom - call me old-fashioned if you will.

What is the correct generic description?

I'll be watching for the views of Melbourne and at least this week's lot couldn't be more dysfunctional than last week's lot. Incidentally they said he was Aussie (the I'm off, I'm back, I'm off, I'm back 5th husband of the lady from Blackpool) but he didn't sound it to me on the few occasions he spoke in front of the cameras.

OzTennis
Old Jan 8th 2004, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

Greetings - Dimia have our application (since 21st Oct) and were notified that we had been accepted for state nomination on 7th November. I sent our police checks in during December and we're having our medicals in January. HOPING to have visa's by about April. Then want to emigrate end of October.

What about you???
Hiya Troood,

Well, just getting our skills assessment ready for the TRA. Husband is a Panel Beater. Don't know how long it will all take though. Dreading it really as I am really impatient (could prove my downfall if i don't keep that in check!).
We have an agent so hopefully that will push things along a little quicker as Glenn at Go Matilda comes highly recommended with regards to the TRA assessment.
If everything goes well we were hoping to be out there by the end of the year (unrealistic??).
Where are you hoping to settle in Melbourne?

Kris
Old Jan 8th 2004, 1:05 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by OzTennis
This time he will be ranting and raving about Billy's lot as the family are from Swansea I believe. I personally don't include the Welsh in the term pom - call me old-fashioned if you will.

I'll be watching for the views of Melbourne and at least this week's lot couldn't be more dysfunctional than last week's lot. Incidentally they said he was Aussie (the I'm off, I'm back, I'm off, I'm back 5th husband of the lady from Blackpool) but he didn't sound it to me on the few occasions he spoke in front of the cameras.

OzTennis

I think you're right, OzTennis. But I've no doubt Mr Bundy will rant anyway.
Old Jan 8th 2004, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by OzTennis

OzTennis
Yeah apparently he was an Aussie, but had lived over here for a lot of his life. I agree that you wouldn't have known otherwise as he sounded very English.

Kris

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.