Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A new life down under

Wikiposts

A new life down under

Old Jan 22nd 2004, 8:11 am
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice

Originally posted by maxpaxx
Ambitious or what? You've got to hand it to the guy - he's either really smart or really stupid!

Stupid a bit I think...for putting the shop where he did and being not an (everybodies shop) needed passing(lots of)people trade...Im begining to hate that programme...most the people seem rite numpty's...paints a shite picture...
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 8:11 am
AWOL

Kentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by cinderella
What can you say!!!
The 3 most important things when you have a retail shop are -

LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION.

It was NEVER, NEVER going to make any money when there is NO PASSING TRADE!

They should have moved the shop straight away, maybe they could have lived there as it seemed they paid the full years rent up front, (instead of paying out for the flat.) Who does that???

Also why did they pay the Thai supplier up front for the goods? Paul should have got on a plane to Thailand to sort that one out, instead of throwing away £10k.

He should have stuck to what he knows best, Marketing!
Perhaps if he'd spent any time in Thailand he'd know that when it comes to parting with money never trust a Thai!!
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 8:12 am
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

Fair dos on him for attempting it at all but...

Shop in wrong place and mega expensive ( three/four floors?!!)

That apartment they were staying in was expensive - surely they could have got something cheaper.

Flying back to the UK for three days - how much?

Handing over 10 grand without any assurances about the stock

It seemed to me he was good at spending dosh but had little business acumen really.

Shop looked good though - if he had tighted his belt in other areas and put the bloody thing in the right place he would have been OK, I think.

I hope they get to their target of 12 shops in the UK - but what does that have to do with Oz? It should have been called - starting a business down under.
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 8:13 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by tiredwithtwins
god I dread this programme now!!!!
its a weekly torture.....everyone has commented how onesided it is (ie showing the crap for good tv), the info tends to be slightly inaccurate, show ''living'' there through rose tinted you know whats(ie look how big a house you get for £3.50 a week)
anyone else fed up to the back teeth of it?

Sue

ooooh, bondi on now.....are ye there BP???

I am sick of all the threads about it, like everybody claims they take no notice of it or dont watch it, but thousands of bloody replies every time its on!

Yes its crap, most of the info is out of date or totally inaccurate. I live in OZ but have seen these shows (the UK versions) and half of it is bollocks. The only bit that seems real is the fact that familes find chucking in everything they know is very stressful.

Axe the bloody show
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

simbacat is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to agree, I don't think he was too smart. Also the property he rented back in the UK after just putting £300000 into the sand, where does he get the money from? Please can I have £1Million as an investment for a shop noone ever goes into.
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 8:14 am
AWOL

Kentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the rough

Thank Christ it wasn't just another episode where people looking for streets paved with gold spent most of the programme whinging about how they prefer things in Britain.
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 8:16 am
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: dress

Originally posted by welshboybilly
i have a pic on my hard drive, but i dont think i will be posting it here.

send it in a pm i`m off the wagon so you never know
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 8:18 am
Kiwified member

Noticed a decent Welsh contingent the Mardi Gras, there WBB - is that where the dress pic comes from?
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 8:18 am
AWOL

Don't understand why people are calling him stupid. Even after he closed the shop he moved back to a good house in Esher (do you know how much a house costs there?!) AND was still running the business with a view to opening a shop in Covent Garden. He'll be successful one day despite making mistakes and that requires drive and intelligence.
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 8:19 am
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pollster
Noticed a decent Welsh contingent the Mardi Gras, there WBB - is that where the dress pic comes from?
did u not see im flyin da flag poll he is butch
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 8:20 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

STUPID++++

Am I the only one to think this one was a bit unreal.He seemed a good 'actor' for an amateur.

If it was real then he was a fantasist or an idiot.

G
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

simbacat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Kentish Man
Don't understand why people are calling him stupid. Even after he closed the shop he moved back to a good house in Esher (do you know how much a house costs there?!) AND was still running the business with a view to opening a shop in Covent Garden. He'll be successful one day despite making mistakes and that requires drive and intelligence.
But don't you think we were not given the whole story. I really do wonder how he could afford it after supposedly selling everything off.
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 8:22 am
Kiwified member

Originally posted by wengerboy
did u not see im flyin da flag poll he is butch

Was he in the couple that looked like regulars at the Blue Oyster? - I thought the one the left looked familiar!
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 8:23 am
Up The Arse!!

Originally posted by Pollster
Was he in the couple that looked like regulars at the Blue Oyster? - I thought the one the left looked familiar!
wales`s finest
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

pete 10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Channel 4 new life downunder

Not a good programme to end with.
Ithink there must have been a serious amount of editing going on.
Agree with all the coments after tonights programme.Why did he not move the business and cut his losses.He had determination but no idea how to run a business .Don't trust anyone!
It was a shame though to see that they had gone back to the
Uk.My conclusion on these programmes is yes they are definatley worth watching for the interest to all of us emigrating to Oz but personally not enough general information and more of a soap,but If thats what brings the ratings up so be it.
It would be good if they made another seies but with more advise and info on various areas etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.