Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A New Life In Canberra

A New Life In Canberra

Old Nov 5th 2004, 3:31 pm
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute
Smile A New Life In Canberra

Bang! The pregnancy test with the two blue lines landed on the pillow beside my hungover head one morning in early March this year accompanied by the never-to-be-forgotten “I guess that’s it then.�

It certainly was. Right – decision time: Finished last contract in December, still nothing happening on the work front, discussed Australia before, K.’s folks there, women like to be near their mums when they give birth - all the pointers were there; if we were going to give Oz a try it was the time to do it.

And they were off. I don’t remember how I found out about this forum but, as I said after the visa approval, it was a godsend. Some may remember I had a major concern about a minor, ahem, incident when I was a young man (hey, we were all young once and I think it happens to a lot of us, especially young men – a rite-of-passage in some ways) but it didn’t even appear on the police report, though I did admit to it. Also, the doctor who did my medical lost the forms and I had to do it again, only for him to find the originals the next day.

I started to look into the visa process and downloaded the forms in March, applied for the MET police check (40+ days!) and did the medicals in April, sent in the application for De Facto and got the go-ahead by phone call in May (10 days!) and got my passport back with the visa in June. Yep, I did well and was fortunate to have a pregnant UK+Aussie citizen partner. For those who go through the skills assessment route, I admire your determination and wish you good luck.

As we were renting in London (in Wanstead, a nice part of east London if you’re ever there) it was no problem to extend our lease by a month and book our flights for August (renting does have some advantages). As K. was going to be into the 30th week we had to look around for plus- 28-weeks-pregnant-one-way insurance. We got it after many calls and one cancelled policy after the small print showed we weren’t covered – PM me if you need the details, it cost about £60. Also, K. had to get an ‘Expectant Mother’ visa for Singapore as they don’t like the idea of western babies becoming Singaporean citizens by accident, but in the end they didn’t ask for it – it’s a sheet of paper rather than a stamp in your passport. You only need it if you’re stopping over – I think the restrictions on actual flying when pregnant are airline policies and they all differ.

We arrived in Canberra in mid-August (cold!) and stayed with K.’s parents for about 3 weeks. We looked around for a place to rent and liked the look of one in Yarralumla – it’s a 3-bedroom house near the lake and in one of the best suburbs in the city – when we buy somewhere it probably won’t be here but we’re making the most of it for now. We’ve managed to get it for $300 (about £120) a week, which isn’t bad considering it was originally advertised for $350. Top tip: bargain hard! They will always consider reasonable offers – Of course it depends on the market and the landlord, but now is a good time for renters with so many people getting onto the buy-to-let bandwagon.

Anyway, my whole incentive for this post was Claire1974’s about moving to Oz on her own with the intention of settling in Canberra. While the promised job may not have come about, she or anyone else considering Canberra shouldn’t be put off by anyone questioning why they would want to come here. In my experience most people who slag off Canberra have either never been here and are repeating the same old stuff people do, or have been here for a short time and not given it a proper chance. While I admit it’s not the most lively of places, especially after living in London for 16 years, it’s no worse than any city of a similar size I’ve been to. You may find a lot of the people who slag off Canberra come from places that are smaller and duller.

I was first here four years ago on my own as part of a gap year ‘round-the-world thing. I’d met K. about 10 years previously in London (sounds like a Kafka novel) and got in contact with her when I was over – we got to know each other a little better and kept in contact when I moved on – eventually K. moved over to London a couple of years ago and…

Something very special happened.

Hopefully my attached photo will work – it's slightly out of focus but this is our Eliza May born four days ago on Monday 1st November at The Canberra Hospital weighing in at 7lbs 8oz – if the number of expats working there is anything to go by, Claire1974 or anyone else in nursing shouldn’t have any problem finding work in the Canberra area. In fact, as far as nursing is concerned I wouldn’t have any worries about coming here – they need qualified people badly – you can always go through an agency until you find what you want.

On the subject of work, in the almost 3 months I’ve been here I’ve not had any luck finding anything in IT, especially as I have a temporary resident visa and that rules out a lot of permanent work here due to government clearance and the need to be a citizen, but I’m remaining positive and will have to renew my efforts now I have K. and our gorgeous little girl to take care of full time.

It’s all a bit strange really. If 12 months ago I’d been shown what my life would be like a year later I would have, well, fallen on the floor and had an anxiety attack.

There again, I only need to look at Eliza and give thanks for everything that’s happened. I’ll stop now before I get too soppy and sicken you all. This is what a new life does to us parents.

Big.
Old Nov 5th 2004, 3:39 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: A New Life In Canberra

Originally Posted by Big Galah
Bang! The pregnancy test with the two blue lines landed on the pillow beside my hungover head one morning in early March this year accompanied by the never-to-be-forgotten “I guess that’s it then.�

It certainly was. Right – decision time: Finished last contract in December, still nothing happening on the work front, discussed Australia before, K.’s folks there, women like to be near their mums when they give birth - all the pointers were there; if we were going to give Oz a try it was the time to do it.

And they were off. I don’t remember how I found out about this forum but, as I said after the visa approval, it was a godsend. Some may remember I had a major concern about a minor, ahem, incident when I was a young man (hey, we were all young once and I think it happens to a lot of us, especially young men – a rite-of-passage in some ways) but it didn’t even appear on the police report, though I did admit to it. Also, the doctor who did my medical lost the forms and I had to do it again, only for him to find the originals the next day.

I started to look into the visa process and downloaded the forms in March, applied for the MET police check (40+ days!) and did the medicals in April, sent in the application for De Facto and got the go-ahead by phone call in May (10 days!) and got my passport back with the visa in June. Yep, I did well and was fortunate to have a pregnant UK+Aussie citizen partner. For those who go through the skills assessment route, I admire your determination and wish you good luck.

As we were renting in London (in Wanstead, a nice part of east London if you’re ever there) it was no problem to extend our lease by a month and book our flights for August (renting does have some advantages). As K. was going to be into the 30th week we had to look around for plus- 28-weeks-pregnant-one-way insurance. We got it after many calls and one cancelled policy after the small print showed we weren’t covered – PM me if you need the details, it cost about £60. Also, K. had to get an ‘Expectant Mother’ visa for Singapore as they don’t like the idea of western babies becoming Singaporean citizens by accident, but in the end they didn’t ask for it – it’s a sheet of paper rather than a stamp in your passport. You only need it if you’re stopping over – I think the restrictions on actual flying when pregnant are airline policies and they all differ.

We arrived in Canberra in mid-August (cold!) and stayed with K.’s parents for about 3 weeks. We looked around for a place to rent and liked the look of one in Yarralumla – it’s a 3-bedroom house near the lake and in one of the best suburbs in the city – when we buy somewhere it probably won’t be here but we’re making the most of it for now. We’ve managed to get it for $300 (about £120) a week, which isn’t bad considering it was originally advertised for $350. Top tip: bargain hard! They will always consider reasonable offers – Of course it depends on the market and the landlord, but now is a good time for renters with so many people getting onto the buy-to-let bandwagon.

Anyway, my whole incentive for this post was Claire1974’s about moving to Oz on her own with the intention of settling in Canberra. While the promised job may not have come about, she or anyone else considering Canberra shouldn’t be put off by anyone questioning why they would want to come here. In my experience most people who slag off Canberra have either never been here and are repeating the same old stuff people do, or have been here for a short time and not given it a proper chance. While I admit it’s not the most lively of places, especially after living in London for 16 years, it’s no worse than any city of a similar size I’ve been to. You may find a lot of the people who slag off Canberra come from places that are smaller and duller.

I was first here four years ago on my own as part of a gap year ‘round-the-world thing. I’d met K. about 10 years previously in London (sounds like a Kafka novel) and got in contact with her when I was over – we got to know each other a little better and kept in contact when I moved on – eventually K. moved over to London a couple of years ago and…

Something very special happened.

Hopefully my attached photo will work – it's slightly out of focus but this is our Eliza May born four days ago on Monday 1st November at The Canberra Hospital weighing in at 7lbs 8oz – if the number of expats working there is anything to go by, Claire1974 or anyone else in nursing shouldn’t have any problem finding work in the Canberra area. In fact, as far as nursing is concerned I wouldn’t have any worries about coming here – they need qualified people badly – you can always go through an agency until you find what you want.

On the subject of work, in the almost 3 months I’ve been here I’ve not had any luck finding anything in IT, especially as I have a temporary resident visa and that rules out a lot of permanent work here due to government clearance and the need to be a citizen, but I’m remaining positive and will have to renew my efforts now I have K. and our gorgeous little girl to take care of full time.

It’s all a bit strange really. If 12 months ago I’d been shown what my life would be like a year later I would have, well, fallen on the floor and had an anxiety attack.

There again, I only need to look at Eliza and give thanks for everything that’s happened. I’ll stop now before I get too soppy and sicken you all. This is what a new life does to us parents.

Big.
Nice picture Big Galah and a great story.

Hope the work situation sorts itself out, sounds like you have everything else nicely sorted

Matt
Old Nov 5th 2004, 3:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Atticus will become famous soon enough

What a lovely story.

Congratulations on the birth of your baby girl and best wishes for the future.

regards

atticus
Old Nov 5th 2004, 3:45 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Fab post BG. Many many congratulations, your very own bush babe. Hope the better half is ok - us women are damned clever aren't we Hope she has her feet up and is being treated like a godess.
Old Nov 5th 2004, 3:59 pm
sula

Congratulations to you all!
What a great way to start your new life in Oz.

Well I'm planning to move to Canberra in the New Year. It's reassuring to hear how happy you are there. Having lived in a large city all my life I am looking forward to living somewhere a little quieter.

What a cute baby you have!!!

Best wishes,

Sula

Old Nov 5th 2004, 7:20 pm

saraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of light

Congrats!

-Sara
Old Nov 6th 2004, 9:05 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

aw congratulations - shes gorgeous!!!!!
now the hard work starts.........

hey, theres enough of you guys in canberra now to start your own expats club!!!!

so people DO go to canberra!! you need to shout a lot louder about it, its seems to be very under-represented here!!!

lots of love and luck with the new bub....

sue
Old Nov 6th 2004, 9:26 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Also, K. had to get an ‘Expectant Mother’ visa for Singapore as they don’t like the idea of western babies becoming Singaporean citizens by accident,
Being born in Singapore does not make you a Singapore citizen, so whatever the reason for this is, it's nothing to do with this factor.

Speaking of citizenship, do you know if your daughter is a British citizen or not?

It may depend on whether you're a British citizen (you say you're ex-Dublin so you may not be), and on how your partner obtained her British citizenship. If your daughter has to get British citizenship through you, you need to apply for her to be registered as unmarried father's can't automatically pass on British citizenship.

If registration is required there may be a time limit (possibly as soon as 12 months after birth) to apply, so checking this out is not something that should be put off.

Now that you have a child, the criteria for a 'long term relationship' is 2 years cohabitation rather than five years.

DIMIA won't reopen your existing application until the 2 years on a temp visa is up - however, if not having PR is causing you problems and you meet the criteria for a 'long term relationship' now, you can re-apply for the spouse visa onshore and they will look at this again.

Clearly you need to have the application well evidenced, and be prepared to pay the application fee again, but it may be a shorter route to PR if that's important to you.

Jeremy

Last edited by JAJ; Nov 6th 2004 at 9:33 am.
Old Nov 6th 2004, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

congratulations to you both on your beautiful daughter, its great to hear such a positive post, it gives hope to us all.
Trish
Old Nov 6th 2004, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant future

Hi there,
What a grand tale, congratulations to you both on the birth of your wee girl.

Thank you so much for the positive note on Canberra - moving out there in January. Puts my mind at ease when I hear your views on the place. I'm getting excited now.
Old Nov 6th 2004, 11:43 pm
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all for your kind words. We took Eliza home yesterday after a small scare where she was taken up to the infant care ward for a few days - all fine now.

Originally Posted by JAJ
It may depend on whether you're a British citizen (you say you're ex-Dublin so you may not be), and on how your partner obtained her British citizenship. If your daughter has to get British citizenship through you, you need to apply for her to be registered as unmarried father's can't automatically pass on British citizenship.
Yep, I'm Irish, K is British by birth and Australian by grant (moved here when she was a kid), so I guess that entitles our baby to all 3 if she wants. I believe she's automatically entitled to Irish citizenship through an Irish dad and that would allow her to live in Ireland or the UK (or anywhere else in the EU?) without the need for a separate UK passport anyway.

Anyway, I need to register her birth here first - I've got 60 days.

Cheers again,

Big.
Old Nov 6th 2004, 11:48 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all for your kind words. We took Eliza home yesterday after a small scare where she was taken up to the infant care ward for a few days - all fine now.

Yep, I'm Irish, K is British by birth and Australian by grant (moved here when she was a kid), so I guess that entitles our baby to all 3 if she wants. I believe she's automatically entitled to Irish citizenship through an Irish dad and that would allow her to live in Ireland or the UK (or anywhere else in the EU?) without the need for a separate UK passport anyway.

Anyway, I need to register her birth here first - I've got 60 days.

Cheers again,

Big.
Congrats Galah, and best of luck with your new life!

Sent you some karma!
Old Nov 6th 2004, 11:49 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonyk38
Congrats Galah, and best of luck with your new life!

Sent you some karma!
Er......no I haven't, because it won't let me!!
Old Nov 7th 2004, 12:41 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

There is a difference between being 'entitled' to citizenship and being a citizen automatically. Sometimes in the former case there is a time limit to take up the entitlement or otherwise it's lost.

She ought to be an Irish citizen automatically (I don' think the Irish government will care about whether you're legally married). The only way to be sure is to apply for her to have an Irish passport and see if they issue one.

As her mother is UK born, she ought to be British automatically - again the best way to document this is apply for a UK passport for her (at least a first passport, you needn't be too worried about renewing it after that).

A British passport will open up some doors in the UK that are closed to Irish citizens.

As for Australian citizenship, you need to be aware her birth certificate in itself does not prove her citizenship. It's well worth spending the AUD55 and filling out form 119 to get her an Australian citizenship certificate:
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/119.pdf (as well as getting an Australian passport).

Jeremy