Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

New lap top , buy in the uk or Aus?

New lap top , buy in the uk or Aus?

Old Oct 18th 2008, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: New lap top , buy in the uk or Aus?

Originally Posted by dnex721
Hi

we looked at this

went on website like hp . uk and Hp.au and compared the same spec laptop

Uk was quite a bit cheaer

so we will def buy in UK

Take care

Bev
If anyone is considering a mac they are cheaper here by 100 to 150 pounds. We waited for this reason.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 2:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Quite often you can buy cheap where you dont expect....

http://www.smarthouse.com.au/Home_Of...blets/J3N9U4C4

Aldi still have them in stock... except they are now only 999 dollars
Old Oct 19th 2008, 3:10 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

I bought one in Singapore Airlines. Its a mac book pro. Got a great bundle deal. Got to customs in Sydney and was told that it was over the limit of 900$ and would have to pay gst. But, I gave them the 'ah man, I had no idea' and he let me go. Saved about $500AUD
Old Oct 19th 2008, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Complete technophobe here, but my nephew bought a brand new laptop with him and set it up here. He used all our monthly download capacity (we then had 4gb which had always been plenty for our use) getting it going (we've since upgraded) but how do people go about setting a new one up if they don't have a work or home connection?

Forgive me if my question's naive - I really am that ignorant about computers, and I really am interested in the answer.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

feed_cantona is a name known to allfeed_cantona is a name known to allfeed_cantona is a name known to allfeed_cantona is a name known to allfeed_cantona is a name known to allfeed_cantona is a name known to allfeed_cantona is a name known to allfeed_cantona is a name known to allfeed_cantona is a name known to allfeed_cantona is a name known to allfeed_cantona is a name known to all

Hi Guys,

My fiance recently went back home to OZ, i'll be joining her in Jan, and she wanted a laptop to keep in contact with me. She kept sending me different specs from different places.

She managed to find a Dell Laptop on ebay from the official Dell outlet - was suprised that they dealt on ebay. The laptop she fancied was an inspiron 1525, entry level and was about the same price as the same model in the UK. Though the key difference is that the base model in Oz had a better spec:

Oz: core 2 duo, 2gb ram, 160gb HDD, built in webcam. The uk model had less HDD no webcam and a celeron d processor. Seems as though you get a better spec for equivelent price in oz with dell.

Hope everyone finds this useful!

Cheers
Old Oct 20th 2008, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

MarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really nice

Originally Posted by PoppetUK
If anyone is considering a mac they are cheaper here by 100 to 150 pounds. We waited for this reason.
Thank you. I am in the process of trying to decide if i should get a macbook or windows PC at the moment, looking like mac is ahead so will then wait to actually get to Brisbane in Jan 09.

Mark