Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

new kids on the bloc

new kids on the bloc

Old Jun 28th 2003, 10:45 am
sue rose

Default new kids on the bloc

Hi all

Just registered today. Got a nursing job in Perth, got our visas and sold the house so we are off in August. Exciting is putting it mildly
Still deciding if we will ship any furniture out or not as we've read lots of different advice.
Is there anyone doing the same ? We're from Warwickshire and have already met another couple going the same time as us.

Sue and Steve

Old Jun 28th 2003, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

Location: St Austell, Cornwall to 'Coff's Harbour NSW, then Adelaide - back to Cornwall- back to Oz hopefully
sue5665 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sue & Steve,
We moved to oz in March and our stuff is still in storage with Blatchpack, Exeter.
We have still not decided what we are going to do, so it will stay there until we are sure that we want to stay here.
Good luck

Sue
Old Jun 28th 2003, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Stoney is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: new kids on the bloc

Originally posted by sue rose
Hi all

Just registered today. Got a nursing job in Perth, got our visas and sold the house so we are off in August. Exciting is putting it mildly
Still deciding if we will ship any furniture out or not as we've read lots of different advice.
Is there anyone doing the same ? We're from Warwickshire and have already met another couple going the same time as us.

Sue and Steve
Hi Sue and Steve,
We are aiming on taking all our furniture and stuff with us,
we have just put the house on the market and hope to be in Perth before Christmas.The search facility on this forum is very useful for finding any topics thet may have been useful in past threads.
Good luck see you there.
Old Jun 28th 2003, 12:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

claireg3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sue and Steve,

Congrats on the visas. Hoping to be in Perth ourselves in the not too distant future. I'm a nurse too and hoping to get a job before we leave. Any advice you may have will be most welcome.
We are planning on shipping most of our stuff out as it would probably work out cheaper in the long run.

Good luck with it all

Claire
Old Jun 28th 2003, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Santa is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to behold

We are off to Perth in August, my wife has got a job in Perth as a Nurse. We are taking most of our bits and bobs, it's not cheap, but buying new when you go over would not be cheap either. Got our Visa (457) yesterday, only took three weeks !!. Good luck with the move
Old Jun 28th 2003, 12:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

dibrucewillis is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi sue & steve

Congrats on getting your visas.

I too am a nurse heading for Perth, hoping to post our visa application early next week when I get our medicals back.

Just wondering where you are going to be working and in what particular speciality.

We are often discussing (should we be successful) what if any furniture shoud we ship.It certainly isn't an easy thing to decide.
We have rels who have lived in Perth for 5yrs and they are advising us to take as much stuff as possible.

All the best

Diane,Jeff & Jack

Hi all

Sue and Steve
Old Jun 28th 2003, 12:59 pm
sue rose

Originally posted by claireg3
Hi Sue and Steve,

Congrats on the visas. Hoping to be in Perth ourselves in the not too distant future. I'm a nurse too and hoping to get a job before we leave. Any advice you may have will be most welcome.
We are planning on shipping most of our stuff out as it would probably work out cheaper in the long run.

Good luck with it all

Claire
Hi Claire

I'll give you a brief outline of our story. We decided in January to make the big move so I started contacting nursing agencies and had a telephone interview with Sir Charles Gairner Hospital and they agreed to have me over the phone. You don't know how relieved I was as I am 47 now I many people led me to believe I was too old.
The only medical I had was a chest x-ray and hubbie had nothing and once dima sent my sponsorship number we applied for visas which took 2 and a half weeks to come back. Our biggest nightmare was selling the house which has taken 3 months. What a rollercoaster ride that's been. If there's anything you think I can help you with just let me know.

Good luck
Sue

Old Jun 28th 2003, 1:05 pm
sue rose

Originally posted by dibrucewillis
Hi sue & steve

Congrats on getting your visas.

I too am a nurse heading for Perth, hoping to post our visa application early next week when I get our medicals back.

Just wondering where you are going to be working and in what particular speciality.

We are often discussing (should we be successful) what if any furniture shoud we ship.It certainly isn't an easy thing to decide.
We have rels who have lived in Perth for 5yrs and they are advising us to take as much stuff as possible.

All the best

Diane,Jeff & Jack
Hi Diane and all

I'll be working in The Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital on the aged care and rehab unit. I've worked with the elderly for over 7 years and very interested to see how compares in Oz.

Good luck
Sue and Steve

Old Jun 28th 2003, 4:21 pm
tia
Forum Regular

tia is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi to you both,we move to perth on aug 15th,house sold and taking all our furniture as most of it is less than 2years old,only leaving the cooker and gas tumble dryer.....we are staying with family first in willitton....good luck on your move.....we live in b.ham.......marie and tony
Old Jun 28th 2003, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

karlos is an unknown quantity at this point

Sue & Steve,

Welcome to the forum Good luck in Perth.

Regards
Karl.
Old Jun 28th 2003, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

terryg is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all

Sue and Steve
S&S

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your good fortunes.

Regards

Terry

Old Jun 28th 2003, 10:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Welcome aboard! we look forward to reading your posts, there are lots of Nurses and people heading for Perth on here so you should make loads of contacts.

Good luck
Tina