New job nerves

Old Aug 12th 2009, 4:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of light
Default New job nerves

I know I am really lucky to have got to Oz and got a job so I'm loathe to moan but I'm suffering really badly from new job nerves and just wondered if anyone has any quick fixes /suggestions of how to overcome them.

I knew that I could never walk in to a new job and feel competent straight away but boy am I suffering with new job nerves - to the point where I feel sick every morning before work. This is my 3rd week in the job.

The job is in a bank in sales & service and my previous job in the UK was underwriting & selling mortgages for a broker.

So I've never worked in a bank before and I hate that feeling of being incompetent - there is just so much to learn and I have to ask the others a million questions. They don't mind and are very helpful but I hate this feeling.

Don't get me wrong, I am picking up plenty and am able to hold my own in a lot of areas already but there is still so much to learn. The other staff have been there years and everybody uses company & industry jargon while I'm there trying to write it all down while serving a long queue of impatient customers........help!!!

How long before I stop feeling like this and something falls in to place?!
Old Aug 12th 2009, 4:22 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New job nerves

Originally Posted by Mrs Kiwi
I know I am really lucky to have got to Oz and got a job so I'm loathe to moan but I'm suffering really badly from new job nerves and just wondered if anyone has any quick fixes /suggestions of how to overcome them.

I knew that I could never walk in to a new job and feel competent straight away but boy am I suffering with new job nerves - to the point where I feel sick every morning before work. This is my 3rd week in the job.

The job is in a bank in sales & service and my previous job in the UK was underwriting & selling mortgages for a broker.

So I've never worked in a bank before and I hate that feeling of being incompetent - there is just so much to learn and I have to ask the others a million questions. They don't mind and are very helpful but I hate this feeling.

Don't get me wrong, I am picking up plenty and am able to hold my own in a lot of areas already but there is still so much to learn. The other staff have been there years and everybody uses company & industry jargon while I'm there trying to write it all down while serving a long queue of impatient customers........help!!!

How long before I stop feeling like this and something falls in to place?!
Congrats on the new job You will pick all the jargon/terms very quickly. If you need any help (banking operations in general) then ask away - happy to help!
Old Aug 12th 2009, 4:47 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Indie is right. You'll get a handle on all the jargon soon enough. It's just new job jitters right now. Just remember that the bank must have thought you were able to do the job - They hired you didn't they?
Old Aug 12th 2009, 7:33 am
BE Enthusiast

bluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to all

I would say, remember that everyone starting a new job they have never done before feels like you do now, if they say they dont-theyre lying or dont care wether they are doing the job correctly or not. To learn something new takes a great deal of courage, you have already said your picking a lot of it up already, this shows that its starting to become normal to you now, you will be like the other staff members very shortly and be able to work alone without asking questions. Whenever we have new staff start they ask a hundred and one questions every hour of the day, this makes people more human (not a know it all) and they are liked because of this, however we had a young girl start with us , never done the job before (health related job) and on her second day, I asked her did she want me to go over a particular pharmaceuticol product and explain how it all works etc, do you know what she said? `no thanks I know it all`, this same girl gets on with no -one now, shes classed as a know it all, ppl cannot show her anything, she takes offence, a very hard girl to get on with it!!! sadly she doesnt know it all and has made loads of mistakes because of her attitude. So I would say to you, dont change, ask as many questions as you need to, how else are you supposed to learn?, your colleagues will not be taking offence to you, quite the opposite, you will make firm friends like that.

GOOD LUCK

Bluekipper