Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

New job maybe(hopefully!)

Wikiposts

New job maybe(hopefully!)

Old Jan 23rd 2005, 8:59 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New job maybe(hopefully!)

Hmmm.... well..... that was ehmmm..... annoying!

One the one hand they were asking me 'difficult' questions, to find out my capabilites, on the other hand they were wondering if I would find the job challenging enough/not to boring....

The questions were along the lines of 'Discuss a problem you've solved in the past'. Describe how you've presented to a group of people. Describe how you've worked in a team, what was the outcome"
I found it a bit hard, because I have a really bad memory, so couldn't come up with some good examples sometimes, so the guy(the facility manager) had trouble figuring out what I was capable off, he said at the end.
I would've much preferred them putting a problem before me, and asking how I would solve it.
It went ok I guess though.

At the end it was more about if I'd find it challenging enough, because they'd said they want someone for the long haul, because it takes about 3 months to get people up to speed.
The job does sound quite easy (very operational, mail, photocopying, meeting room management, catering, reception), but I think I'll be alright, because if you put me behind a computer(with internet acces....), I'll get bored easily, I need to keep busy.
They did want me to be really honest though, and I did start doubting a bit, but didn't say anything.
Damn, they also asked about salary expectations, which I forgot to prepare for, and find very annoying anyway...
Luckily I guessed my now hourly rate right ($17, casual), but I couldn't answer if that was including super, and it might not have been smart saying I wanted something similar, something a bit above minimum pay... I don't know :scared:

Anyway, they have a few more interviews to go, so I don't think I stand much of a chance. And if I do, I don't hear till the end of the week!!!!

Doesn't matter that much, I have a good job now anyway.
Will keep looking though

Tanja, congrats on the car!!
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 9:05 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

P.S. They were nice though, and the view from the 31st floor was just MAGNIFICENT!!!! Huge window in the 'lobby' area looking out across the Swan!!
And the guy was British(don't ask me where, but I did sometimes have trouble understanding him), a dual citizen.
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future

Sounds like the standard interview questions for graduates, trying to get you to elaborate on previous experience/examples. Had a few of these when I had job interviews here in Perth. And I left Uni yonks ago. It seem like they just read off a hymn sheet and don't put their own personality into the interview.
Anyway, perfect practice for the next one.
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

Sungold is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New job maybe.....

Leigh, You might remember from the thread on Canberra that I started that Rockhopper (Steve B) got a job for the defense dept in Canberra and he is British so it might be worth giving him a PM. He and I are in very similar situations, all our paperwork for our ENS visas are in to London and we are just waiting for our a response from them. He'll probably get his first as I am still waiting for the sponsorship approval in Canberra (two months now and counting).

Steve

Originally Posted by scutterUK
cheers for that, but i think i've hit a snag. i read through the jobs section in the canborough times this morning and there were a load of other ads in for the defence department. at the bottom of all of them it said you had to be a citizen to apply... not sure if it would apply to the job i want to apply for though, but i'll wait and see. gonna call them on monday to ask the question.

i haven't heard anything back from the jobs in sydney yet, but the ads were only placed last weekend so who knows. i saw another today for a studio manager up at time-warner in QLD!! i'm gonna get my cv off for that one too! can't hurt eh?

fingers crossed for us both!

leigh
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 11:40 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Originally Posted by Muzza04
Sounds like the standard interview questions for graduates, trying to get you to elaborate on previous experience/examples. Had a few of these when I had job interviews here in Perth. And I left Uni yonks ago. It seem like they just read off a hymn sheet and don't put their own personality into the interview.
Anyway, perfect practice for the next one.
Yeah, I know, but this isn't a job you need uni qualifications for. It's bringing the mail around, photocopying, answering the phone (etc)

But yeah, these are the questions they tell you about in the books and stuff. I've had a few interviews before, but then they've given me the problem, and I have to solve it. And questions like this too, but they seemed to go better then...
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 11:46 pm
f1junkie

Sander has a spectacular aura aboutSander has a spectacular aura aboutSander has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Simone

One the one hand they were asking me 'difficult' questions, to find out my capabilites, on the other hand they were wondering if I would find the job challenging enough/not to boring....

The questions were along the lines of 'Discuss a problem you've solved in the past'. Describe how you've presented to a group of people. Describe how you've worked in a team, what was the outcome"
Ha Simone!

Shame it didn't go as you wanted/expected...but still, you never know! And, as mentioned before, it's a good experience for future interviews, as you can now prepare yourself even better! I'm taking notes...
Old Jan 24th 2005, 12:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: New job maybe(hopefully!)

Good Luck Simone hope you get the job.
By the way did I tell you you sound as mad as me.lol
Old Jan 24th 2005, 12:56 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New job maybe.....

Originally Posted by scutterUK
there's always one int'tha?

I'm in the same boat, i'm currently trying to get some contact details off someone so i can apply for a job with the defence department! if they ever send them that is...

anyway, good luck with the job application!

leigh
If you want to email me I can send you more details about applying for jobs with the dept of defence. Also the "correct" way to present your application. DoD have a few "different" requirements, which if you dont know about them can limit your chances.

will send you a PM with my email addies if you want to take it further.

regards
mairi

PS. are you looking at navy, airforce or army ???? (I'm navy but have a couple of contacts in the other branches)
Old Jan 24th 2005, 1:30 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

I found it a bit hard, because I have a really bad memory, so couldn't come up with some good examples sometimes, so the guy(the facility manager) had trouble figuring out what I was capable off, he said at the end.
I would've much preferred them putting a problem before me, and asking how I would solve it.
It went ok I guess though.

At the end it was more about if I'd find it challenging enough, because they'd said they want someone for the long haul, because it takes about 3 months to get people up to speed.
The job does sound quite easy (very operational, mail, photocopying, meeting room management, catering, reception), but I think I'll be alright, because if you put me behind a computer(with internet acces....), I'll get bored easily, I need to keep busy.
They did want me to be really honest though, and I did start doubting a bit, but didn't say anything.
Damn, they also asked about salary expectations, which I forgot to prepare for, and find very annoying anyway...
Luckily I guessed my now hourly rate right ($17, casual), but I couldn't answer if that was including super, and it might not have been smart saying I wanted something similar, something a bit above minimum pay... I don't know :scared:

Anyway, they have a few more interviews to go, so I don't think I stand much of a chance. And if I do, I don't hear till the end of the week!!!!

Doesn't matter that much, I have a good job now anyway.
Will keep looking though

Tanja, congrats on the car!!
sorry to hear the interview didnt go quite as planned. Never mind, if its meant to be it will happen, otherwise something better is round the corner !

M
Old Jan 27th 2005, 1:12 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Uh oh....
They just rang (had to take the call outside!!) I've been asked back for a second interview.......

I've said that even if they did offer it to me(ok, it's not that far yet, but closer...), I'm not sure I'd take it, as I'm not sure if I'd be able to stick it out for at least a year.(they were really going on about being honest, and wanting someone to be able to stay for a year, 1.5 years, because it takes 3 months to get someone up to speed). I don't think it'll take 3 months, looking at past experience and the work involved though.

The thing is, it's more facilites management, even though it's quite an easy job, and this company really is great, it's a big worldwide advisory, audit and tax company, with 100000 employees, in 715 cities/148 countries (15 in Australia).
If I can stick it out for a while (I think I could definetly 6 months, and longer if I know there's good oppertunities), it'd be a great way of getting into facilities management.

Ok, I think I've decided. Anyway, this is just a second interview.
Better be better prepared this time though, and be more convincing of being able to stick it out! I'll talk more about my operational experience/pratical stuff I did at 'uni'.

Now, they've asked me for 4 pm Wednesday, I've said yes. At least I've time to lie about a new appointment, now dentist, which is credible, because I've got an ear/jaw ache from my wisdom tooth coming through....
Or...... I'll just be sick that day, that'll make it quite a bit easier.... haven't been sick in a while....
:scared:
Old Jan 27th 2005, 2:09 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Dear, Simone!

Now you've got tough decison on your hands! I know that you weren't extraordinarily impressed with the position BUT if it does give you an avenue to advancement...

I guess you'll just have to see how the interview goes and make a quick judgment call. Are you willing to put in the year/year and half they say it will take?

I'm really not sure if I should be wishing you good luck or not

Siren
Old Jan 27th 2005, 2:38 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Originally Posted by Siren
Oh Dear, Simone!

Now you've got tough decison on your hands! I know that you weren't extraordinarily impressed with the position BUT if it does give you an avenue to advancement...

I guess you'll just have to see how the interview goes and make a quick judgment call. Are you willing to put in the year/year and half they say it will take?

I'm really not sure if I should be wishing you good luck or not

Siren
ha, me either!

I think I could stick it out for about a year. I've been in this job for a 6 months now, and I'm still fine, and it will be a similar position, though... maybe with even more variation, because I'll also be dealing with the catering, maintenance and meeting room management, and sometimes hands on with the catering, which I would enjoy I think.
And I wouldn't feel that bad in taking it, because I'm quite sure they wouldn't need 3 months to train me.

hmmmm.

I guess I better be more prepared to ask salary questions now... And if they offer less than I get now, I won't take it THough it might be hard to calculate, as I'm now casual, and I'm not sure if I'd permanent there (IF I get it)
Old Jan 27th 2005, 7:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

swissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to all

ha, me either!

I think I could stick it out for about a year. I've been in this job for a 6 months now, and I'm still fine, and it will be a similar position, though... maybe with even more variation, because I'll also be dealing with the catering, maintenance and meeting room management, and sometimes hands on with the catering, which I would enjoy I think.
And I wouldn't feel that bad in taking it, because I'm quite sure they wouldn't need 3 months to train me.

hmmmm.

I guess I better be more prepared to ask salary questions now... And if they offer less than I get now, I won't take it THough it might be hard to calculate, as I'm now casual, and I'm not sure if I'd permanent there (IF I get it)

Simone

GO FOR IT!!!!!! even if it is easy, get the job and they will see your skills and you will move up the ladder...
Trust me, i studied the Aussie way of doing HR. They much more prefer to get someone from the inside for managerial positions... it is easy to recruit externally for lower responsibility positions but for others its pretty hard to find an opening if you have never worked with them before.

For the interview: my advice is tell them what they want to hear but make sure they understand your personality and make sure they know you are wanting to be part of their team. I dont want to explain my whole HR course but there is really no technique which would reveal exactly if someone is suited for the job or not and if they have done their research they will no that. I guess come prepared (they wont really care about your answers but what they care about is that you MADE the effort to research and spend time preparing for them).

Otherwise the good words, as i am sure you would already know are:

- proactive
- transferable skills
- multicultural experiences
- interpersonal skills

Ok well i hope i was not too boring but hopefully it will make you get where you want to get.
Oh, and be assertive as well, even though you are not sure, pretend that you know. thats how they will want you to be with customers (of course tell them that if you dont know you will not just tell clients you know and stand there but that you will ask for confirmation of other explanations from management).

xoxoxox let us know how you get on.

fabie
Old Jan 27th 2005, 9:00 pm
f1junkie

Sander has a spectacular aura aboutSander has a spectacular aura aboutSander has a spectacular aura about

Uh oh....
They just rang (had to take the call outside!!) I've been asked back for a second interview.......

Hey Simone!

Even though you're not sure about the job I think it's great that they show that they're interested!! So, well done!! If you feel you've got more opportunities with this company then I would definately go for it.
You're in a comfortable position now, already have a job...but a good chance at a different job...that's not bad!

Good luck with the second interview!
Old Jan 28th 2005, 3:03 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Originally Posted by swissfabs
Simone

GO FOR IT!!!!!! even if it is easy, get the job and they will see your skills and you will move up the ladder...
Trust me, i studied the Aussie way of doing HR. They much more prefer to get someone from the inside for managerial positions... it is easy to recruit externally for lower responsibility positions but for others its pretty hard to find an opening if you have never worked with them before.

For the interview: my advice is tell them what they want to hear but make sure they understand your personality and make sure they know you are wanting to be part of their team. I dont want to explain my whole HR course but there is really no technique which would reveal exactly if someone is suited for the job or not and if they have done their research they will no that. I guess come prepared (they wont really care about your answers but what they care about is that you MADE the effort to research and spend time preparing for them).

Otherwise the good words, as i am sure you would already know are:

- proactive
- transferable skills
- multicultural experiences
- interpersonal skills

Ok well i hope i was not too boring but hopefully it will make you get where you want to get.
Oh, and be assertive as well, even though you are not sure, pretend that you know. thats how they will want you to be with customers (of course tell them that if you dont know you will not just tell clients you know and stand there but that you will ask for confirmation of other explanations from management).

xoxoxox let us know how you get on.

fabie
Great tips Fabie, thanks
IMHO, I do think I have those 4 skills/experiences....

I've realised now this interview might also be the stage where they test my computer skills etc. I think I'll ring her Monday and get some more details, so I can prepare properly? The 'girl' was really nice, she's the Facility coordinator, and will be my boss so to speak. The guy was the Facility Manager, but he does more stuff on a national level, so apparently don't have that much to do with him...

Thanks Sander

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.