Reload this Page >

the new immigration system & Multiculturalism

the new immigration system & Multiculturalism

Old Jul 28th 2012, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

asmgx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default the new immigration system & Multiculturalism

hi
by looking at the new immigration system. ( the ranking system )

i think this system will be to the benefit of UK migrants as they can simply get 20 pts for english. while other people with Competent English will get 0 pts.

so a fresh grad from UK will get more points that a highly qualifies non-native english language speaker.

i think new immigration system points should be reviewed.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 1:59 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the new immigration system & Multiculturalism

Originally Posted by asmgx
hi

i think this system will be to the benefit of UK migrants as they can simply get 20 pts for english. while other people with Competent English will get 0 pts.

so a fresh grad from UK will get more points that a highly qualifies non-native english language speaker.

What's that got to do with multiculturalism?
Old Jul 28th 2012, 2:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

It has been reviewed, it was reviewed before it was introduced. Australia wants new migrants that can speak the national language well, otherwise they end up not being able to find work in their field and end up doing menial work that local unskilled workers could do anyway.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
It has been reviewed, it was reviewed before it was introduced. Australia wants new migrants that can speak the national language well, otherwise they end up not being able to find work in their field and end up doing menial work that local unskilled workers could do anyway.
you are right, but i am sure Proficient or Competent English can fit in the australian community an can find work too. unless the job they are looking for is in TV or jobs that really need Superior English.

you can see state nomination gives applicant 5 pts, and phd gives 5 pts extra than bcs. why english language has such gaps between each level Competent, Proficient, and Superior?

it simply will target native english speakers more that target highly qualified people.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 2:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

you are right, but i am sure Proficient or Competent English can fit in the australian community an can find work too. unless the job they are looking for is in TV or jobs that really need Superior English.

you can see state nomination gives applicant 5 pts, and phd gives 5 pts extra than bcs. why english language has such gaps between each level Competent, Proficient, and Superior?

it simply will target native english speakers more that target highly qualified people.
Not much point being highly qualified if unable to communicate properly in the English language. And if you think only TV presenters need to speak / read / write good English you are very mistaken. I absolutely insist upon it with my team of accountants.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Not much point being highly qualified if unable to communicate properly in the English language. And if you think only TV presenters need to speak / read / write good English you are very mistaken. I absolutely insist upon it with my team of accountants.
then definitely you are looking for native english speaking ppl, and no chance for new immigrant ppl to join your team if what you are looking for people with Superior english.
and i am sure not all native english speakers can get 8 in all 4 ielts subjects.

in every work enviroment in australia you find ppl from all over the world. with different accents and different english language abilities, and they all can communicate. i dont think a company would hire any one who does not speak english very well. but if they insist on hiring ppl with "Superior english" then i dont think you would see ppl from different countries.

i am not saying they should remove the english language test in the immigration, what i am saying is that they should review it and maybe applicants can get more points on qualifications or reduce the points of the language.

assume some one gets 9 listening, 9 reading, 9 conversation, and 6.5 writing
and some one else gets 7 listening, 7 reading, 7 conversation, and 7 writing

the first will get 0 pts and the 2nd will get 10 pts. which can make big difference in the ranking.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 3:52 pm
Just Joined

makai is an unknown quantity at this point

hi

If anything the new system is discriminating highly qualified people from Europe who are not living in English speaking countries.

Just have a look at Asia for example: Education in a lot of countries there, such as the Philippines, Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, India etc., is mostly in English. Hence immigrants from these countries are at an advantage when it comes to the IELTS test.

That said, I think Australia needs to consider whether they could use a couple of smart people who are native speakers in major European languages other than English. After all, the EU is Australia's second largest trading partner after China.

But who am I to complain - I'm a native German and French speaker, and I'm quite confident that I will be able to do well on the IELTS test. It's all a question of determination!

Last edited by makai; Jul 28th 2012 at 3:55 pm.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 5:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

then definitely you are looking for native english speaking ppl, and no chance for new immigrant ppl to join your team if what you are looking for people with Superior english.
and i am sure not all native english speakers can get 8 in all 4 ielts subjects.

in every work enviroment in australia you find ppl from all over the world. with different accents and different english language abilities, and they all can communicate. i dont think a company would hire any one who does not speak english very well. but if they insist on hiring ppl with "Superior english" then i dont think you would see ppl from different countries.

i am not saying they should remove the english language test in the immigration, what i am saying is that they should review it and maybe applicants can get more points on qualifications or reduce the points of the language.

assume some one gets 9 listening, 9 reading, 9 conversation, and 6.5 writing
and some one else gets 7 listening, 7 reading, 7 conversation, and 7 writing

the first will get 0 pts and the 2nd will get 10 pts. which can make big difference in the ranking.
Of the ~ 30 people that report to me now or in the past, there are 7 that are native English speakers (being from UK, Australia and South Africa). The rest of my team are from: India, China, Sri Lanka and the Philippines. And I insist upon good English at all times, it is perfectly possible to find this. I don't ask to see IELTS tests of course, but I want to see a well written CV and in interview I expect fluent spoken English.

Regarding the points test, again DIAC already have reviewed it, the test is quite new after all. They want good English speakers, I want my team to be qualified but I am not impressed by endless qualifications coming out of the ears, I want somebody who can communicate effectively. If you chose to ignore this advice then that is up to you.

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Jul 28th 2012 at 5:53 pm.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 11:37 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

hi

In some respects, I think you're in to something, but it's got nothing to do with race, if that is what you're getting at. Long gone are the days of the Australian Immigration Restriction Act, and all this does is demand high quality English. Anyone can aspire to that, from any background. I am an English-speaking native and can speak several other languages to various degrees of competence. If I had to learn Arabic to get in somewhere I wouldn't take it as a personal racial insult - I would get learning!
Old Jul 28th 2012, 11:40 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by makai
If anything the new system is discriminating highly qualified people from Europe who are not living in English speaking countries.

Just have a look at Asia for example: Education in a lot of countries there, such as the Philippines, Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, India etc., is mostly in English. Hence immigrants from these countries are at an advantage when it comes to the IELTS test.

That said, I think Australia needs to consider whether they could use a couple of smart people who are native speakers in major European languages other than English. After all, the EU is Australia's second largest trading partner after China.

But who am I to complain - I'm a native German and French speaker, and I'm quite confident that I will be able to do well on the IELTS test. It's all a question of determination!
The kind of highly qualified European being sought will be able to pass the IELTS. Definitely in the case of Germans and Scandinavians and almost certainly in the case of romance-speaking countries. And all they have to do is polish their English, anyway.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 2:29 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
The kind of highly qualified European being sought will be able to pass the IELTS.
Think you're making the OP's point, there...
Old Jul 29th 2012, 2:31 am
Banned

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Think you're making the OP's point, there...
I'm not sure what his point is, to be honest.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 2:45 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Every country, when dealing with migrant applications, will want superior language skills relevant to that country. It's not Australia's fault if other countries don't have English as their main language. No point in accepting other nationals who cannot speak/write/understand English. That's not going to help multiculturalism, it's going to do the opposite. It's down to each applicant to ensure they are able to reach the levels required. If they don't then they should expect and accept a grant refusal imo.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 3:24 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

From a UK prospective, I wish we had more stringent rules with regards to English ability. Working with people who cannot easily follow what is being said is frustrating to both, speaking from experience. And if you cannot integrate easily because your language ability is lower, than you end up with large areas where the native language is not the first language. And even people who have lived in the Uk for many years do not improve their language ability because they remain in these areas speaking their natural language.

So a Phd taken in Indian, or Polish, or chinese may mean that you understand the theory but if you can't relate that because you cant communicate effectively then it is almost worthless, which is the point many are making.

And is it really too much to ask, that if you want to live in an English speaking country, you learn to speak English effectively.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 7:01 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

You are right, but I am sure proficient or competent English speakers can fit into the Australian community and can find work too. unless the job they are looking for is on TV or jobs that really need good English.

You can see that state nomination gives an applicant 5 pts, and a phd gives 5 pts more than bcs. Why does English language have such gaps between each level: Competent, Proficient, and Superior?

It will simply target native English speakers rather than target highly qualified people.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.