Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

New to the immigration process Help!

New to the immigration process Help!

Old Jun 29th 2016, 7:50 pm
Just Joined

Em24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New to the immigration process Help!

Hi,

My husband and I want to emigrate to Tasmania. We have 2 kids and I think I will be applying for a Visa for all of us, either a 190 or a 489.

I'm a hairdresser but have been running my own business for the last 3 years. I think I would come under hair salon manager on the CSOL list.

I'm not going to lie, I'm totally lost and confused with all these separate websites and things I need to do!

My sister lives in Tas and is now an official Aussie citizen, she has been living there around 8 years now. I'm finding it hard to work out if we stand a chance of emigrating or not!

My husband did 11 years in the army and is now a drainage maintenance worker and HGV driver. He was thinking of becoming a paramedic though.

Has anyone been through this process recently? I know I need to get a skills assessment done but can't seem to find prices or how to even ask for one!

Any help would be amazing, thanks x
Old Jun 29th 2016, 10:09 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to the immigration process Help!

Start at Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection This will tell you whether you or your husband have skills that are eligible for migration and if so what assessing body you use to get the skills assessment done. Once you figure that out go to their website and look at what you need.
Old Jun 30th 2016, 3:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Em24
Hi,

My husband and I want to emigrate to Tasmania. We have 2 kids and I think I will be applying for a Visa for all of us, either a 190 or a 489.

I'm a hairdresser but have been running my own business for the last 3 years. I think I would come under hair salon manager on the CSOL list.

I'm not going to lie, I'm totally lost and confused with all these separate websites and things I need to do!

My sister lives in Tas and is now an official Aussie citizen, she has been living there around 8 years now. I'm finding it hard to work out if we stand a chance of emigrating or not!

My husband did 11 years in the army and is now a drainage maintenance worker and HGV driver. He was thinking of becoming a paramedic though.

Has anyone been through this process recently? I know I need to get a skills assessment done but can't seem to find prices or how to even ask for one!

Any help would be amazing, thanks x
The skills assessing body for hairdressers is TRA Trades Recognition Australia, you can google them, I cannot post a link.

Before you dash off to spend money on a skills assessment though you need to devise your strategy. Hairdresser and Hair Salon manager are only on the CSOL which means you need state sponsorship for a skilled migrant visa.

Unfortunately there are not many states willing to sponsor these occupations, Tasmania, Northern Territory and South Australia might, but these states often have conditions like you need a job offer or family in the state. I recommend you go to their websites and see under what conditions they would sponsor, the sister in Tasmania could be useful, Tasmania sponsors hairdressers not hair salon managers, so you would have to ensure you get the appropriate skills assessment, hence don't rush to do that.

As a separate exercise you could see if your husbands occupation is on the list, HGV driver won't be, no idea about the other thing you mention. Obviously you don't both need to qualify, this is just in case you find yourself ineligible.
Old Jun 30th 2016, 6:27 am
Just Joined

Em24 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
The skills assessing body for hairdressers is TRA Trades Recognition Australia, you can google them, I cannot post a link.

Before you dash off to spend money on a skills assessment though you need to devise your strategy. Hairdresser and Hair Salon manager are only on the CSOL which means you need state sponsorship for a skilled migrant visa.

Unfortunately there are not many states willing to sponsor these occupations, Tasmania, Northern Territory and South Australia might, but these states often have conditions like you need a job offer or family in the state. I recommend you go to their websites and see under what conditions they would sponsor, the sister in Tasmania could be useful, Tasmania sponsors hairdressers not hair salon managers, so you would have to ensure you get the appropriate skills assessment, hence don't rush to do that.

As a separate exercise you could see if your husbands occupation is on the list, HGV driver won't be, no idea about the other thing you mention. Obviously you don't both need to qualify, this is just in case you find yourself ineligible.
Thank you for your reply. Hopefully having my sister over there will help!

I did wonder about needing a job offer before applying.

I'm struggling with the websites to be honest. It takes hours just to find a thread of information.

I guess we need to hold off for a bit I'm desperate to move though it is such a beautiful country.

Thanks
Old Jun 30th 2016, 6:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Em24
Thank you for your reply. Hopefully having my sister over there will help!

I did wonder about needing a job offer before applying.

I'm struggling with the websites to be honest. It takes hours just to find a thread of information.

I guess we need to hold off for a bit I'm desperate to move though it is such a beautiful country.

Thanks
Not really sure why you are struggling with finding websites. Dorothy has posted a link to the official immigration site for Australia. The other things you need to google are:

Trades recognition Australia
Tasmania state sponsorship
Northern Territory state sponsorship
South Australia state sponsorship etc

Why do you need to hold off for a bit? In my experience, holding off rarely pays dividends, unless somebody needs more work experience first of course.