Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

New immigrant (Family Tax Benefit + Rent Allowance)

New immigrant (Family Tax Benefit + Rent Allowance)

Old Jul 16th 2013, 9:26 pm
bangoo_baba

asif_bangash is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile New immigrant (Family Tax Benefit + Rent Allowance)

I am the Permanent Resident (176 skilled sponsored). I intend to come with my family (One spouse and two children) in order to settle in Australia. In the process of settlement, I am taking up funds with me (for at most two/three months for survival) while being jobless and looking for the new job.

This is said that new immigrants are not eligible for most of the payments/allowances until two years wait period. However, it is also just mentioned that Family Tax Benefit and Rent Allowance is offered to eligible newly arrived family.

Can any one suggest me or discuss on the possible benefits while one parent being jobless and one parent caring for the child at home.

Please also include the range of amount, a family can receive for each child. And if the payment is possible, then in how much time the center link will like release the payments to the desired/eligible family.

Please answer with useful and informative discussion
Old Jul 16th 2013, 9:31 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New immigrant (Family Tax Benefit + Rent Allowance)

Originally Posted by asif_bangash
I am the Permanent Resident (176 skilled sponsored). I intend to come with my family (One spouse and two children) in order to settle in Australia. In the process of settlement, I am taking up funds with me (for at most two/three months for survival) while being jobless and looking for the new job.

This is said that new immigrants are not eligible for most of the payments/allowances until two years wait period. However, it is also just mentioned that Family Tax Benefit and Rent Allowance is offered to eligible newly arrived family.

Can any one suggest me or discuss on the possible benefits while one parent being jobless and one parent caring for the child at home.

Please also include the range of amount, a family can receive for each child. And if the payment is possible, then in how much time the center link will like release the payments to the desired/eligible family.

Please answer with useful and informative discussion
Hi asif,

I've moved this to the main forum since it's not an immigration query. Also, this question has come up a number of times recently - have you tried using the search function?
Old Jul 16th 2013, 11:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

Have you looked at the Centrelink website?

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/cust...s-for-families
Old Jul 17th 2013, 10:33 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

With respect, you shouldn't be migrating to Australia if you can't support yourself financially for the first couple of years.

Best regards.
Old Jul 17th 2013, 8:25 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
With respect, you shouldn't be migrating to Australia if you can't support yourself financially for the first couple of years.

Best regards.
+1 what Alan said

IMO i feel you should put in before taking out

regards steve
Old Jul 18th 2013, 5:55 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Dammit! Tried to multiquote.

The last two posts
: this person is not the only one who has done this, I trust you have reminded others of the same obligation?
Old Jul 18th 2013, 6:22 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheEmperorIsNaked
Dammit! Tried to multiquote.

The last two posts
: this person is not the only one who has done this, I trust you have reminded others of the same obligation?
if they post on here, and i happen to see it, definitely,
why?
Old Jul 18th 2013, 6:36 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Best regards.
Originally Posted by steve`o
+1 what Alan said

IMO i feel you should put in before taking out

regards steve
Perhaps you should be telling centrelink this. As immigrants yourselves you were able to access these benefits as well. The fact that you may have had enough cash to support yourselves and your families is great - for you. However, a lot of newcomers need a bit of help. Particularly those who come from the less prosperous areas like the OP.

Asif, check the centrelink website or better yet, go into your nearest office for advice on what help is available to ALL Australian permanent residents.
Old Jul 18th 2013, 6:43 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Perhaps you should be telling centrelink this. As immigrants yourselves you were able to access these benefits as well. The fact that you may have had enough cash to support yourselves and your families is great - for you. However, a lot of newcomers need a bit of help. Particularly those who come from the less prosperous areas like the OP.

Asif, check the centrelink website or better yet, go into your nearest office for advice on what help is available to ALL Australian permanent residents.
That will do nicely!
Old Jul 19th 2013, 1:54 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Old Jul 19th 2013, 3:56 am
BE Enthusiast

johnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to all

Best regards.
Totally agree with you Allan, to many people head over and rely on state handouts from day one, it would of worried me to death heading over with nothing or not enough to survive should the shit hit the fan.
On another point people seem to have forgotten how to research things such as benefits nd rules ect, just expecting answers on here.
Old Jul 19th 2013, 4:15 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnknight001
Totally agree with you Allan, to many people head over and rely on state handouts from day one, it would of worried me to death heading over with nothing or not enough to survive should the shit hit the fan.
On another point people seem to have forgotten how to research things such as benefits nd rules ect, just expecting answers on here.
He wasn't asking to rely on handouts from day 1 - arriving from a lower income country, it is hard to bring funds to survive more than 2 or 3 months. Even arriving from the UK some people turn up with only enough to last a similar length of time. I've only been here 3 months, but I haven't found a job yet - it is good to know in advance if there is any safety net, especially arriving with children. He has obviously done some research as he is aware of which benefits he may be entitled to claim - and even people who arrive with jobs and money claim these benefits.
Old Jul 19th 2013, 5:50 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
He wasn't asking to rely on handouts from day 1 - arriving from a lower income country, it is hard to bring funds to survive more than 2 or 3 months. Even arriving from the UK some people turn up with only enough to last a similar length of time. I've only been here 3 months, but I haven't found a job yet - it is good to know in advance if there is any safety net, especially arriving with children. He has obviously done some research as he is aware of which benefits he may be entitled to claim - and even people who arrive with jobs and money claim these benefits.
Although I can see it would be a gamble trying to live on allowances, the desirable thing is to have enough funds for two years, but this is indeed not possible for many people (wasnt for us). I got a job straight away, and luckily even with my job we were entitled to family tax benefit a and b, which allowed us a rent allowance. After a few months my husband luckily found work. But beware asif, it is expensive and with two of us working full time , it still can be a bit of a struggle here. I often wonder how lower income families (i mean lower than us, which is a combined income of around 105,000) manage.
Old Jul 19th 2013, 9:52 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Dorothy

To the OP: Read this (and watch out for the sting in the tail )
Old Jul 19th 2013, 1:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

campervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
I agree with Dorothy

To the OP: Read this (and watch out for the sting in the tail )
So do I ffs why do people get on their high horse about these things? It's a System.....& it's there for exactly this purpose! Same as the UK- would these people who criticise prefer to see others in the gutter starving rather than get a bit of support while they start out? damn shame!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.