Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

New to Hervey bay, need some mates!!!!

New to Hervey bay, need some mates!!!!

Old Nov 28th 2007, 9:16 am
Just Joined

aussiewannabe has a brilliant futureaussiewannabe has a brilliant futureaussiewannabe has a brilliant futureaussiewannabe has a brilliant futureaussiewannabe has a brilliant futureaussiewannabe has a brilliant future
Default New to Hervey bay, need some mates!!!!

Hi, we, (hubby 33, kids 11,8,4 and me 29) have been in oz a few months now and definately loving the life style change.
We arrived in May and started in Brisbane We got jobs more or less straight away and spent the weekends looking at different places we wanted to live.

We visited Hervey bay one weekend and instantly knew we wanted to bring up the kids here. So we started looking at property and found the perfect house with a pool ,(promised the kids this to leave their mates in uk!!) It would have been unaffordable in Brisbane.
We moved in 2 weeks ago.

All we need now is some mates, anyone interested in meeting for a coffee give us shout.

The Lee family.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 12:00 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to Hervey bay, need some mates!!!!

Originally Posted by aussiewannabe
Hi, we, (hubby 33, kids 11,8,4 and me 29) have been in oz a few months now and definately loving the life style change.
We arrived in May and started in Brisbane We got jobs more or less straight away and spent the weekends looking at different places we wanted to live.

We visited Hervey bay one weekend and instantly knew we wanted to bring up the kids here. So we started looking at property and found the perfect house with a pool ,(promised the kids this to leave their mates in uk!!) It would have been unaffordable in Brisbane.
We moved in 2 weeks ago.

All we need now is some mates, anyone interested in meeting for a coffee give us shout.

The Lee family.
If you do a search on Hervey Bay you'll find there's a few users from that neck of the woods. BayWhale is close to there and there are a few dotted around Pialba & Pt Vernon. One guy works the bar at Bayside Tavern I believe.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 8:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud of

Morning,

Welcome to the Bay!!

As Cresta says there are a few other british families around here, and I am always available for coffee or ale for that matter!! In fact there are a few of us going out to Hoolihans for an ale and food tonight if you fancy a few.
Will PM you my phone no.

Angela
Old Nov 28th 2007, 9:02 pm
Just Joined

aussiewannabe has a brilliant futureaussiewannabe has a brilliant futureaussiewannabe has a brilliant futureaussiewannabe has a brilliant futureaussiewannabe has a brilliant futureaussiewannabe has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Cookster
Morning,

Welcome to the Bay!!

As Cresta says there are a few other british families around here, and I am always available for coffee or ale for that matter!! In fact there are a few of us going out to Hoolihans for an ale and food tonight if you fancy a few.
Will PM you my phone no.

Angela
Thanks to both of you for that will give you a ring angela.
How friendly is australia you cant meet people like that in uk. maybe its the sun and general lovelyness of oz that does it. Just puts you in a better mood!!
Vikki x
Old Dec 1st 2007, 3:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of light

Just wanted to say keep those Hervey Bay meet ups going - the hubby and I are moving to Hervey Bay in October next year and I am delighted to read about the meet ups you guys are having.
Looking forward to joining you next year.
We visited Hervey Bay in September just gone as my brother lives there. We knew we were going to move to Oz but were keen on the Sunshine Coast before we came out in September. When we finally got to Oz we did love the Sunshine Coast as expected but really loved Hervey Bay too, and my brother being there too obviously helps.
I wasn't originally thinking of Hervey Bay as I thought jobs would be too scare but I think we'll be ok. (My hubbie paints cars and I work in finance - there seemed to be a fair few loan companies & crash repair places in Hervey Bay.)
Anyway, we loved Holihans when we visited so have a great night out. X
Old Dec 1st 2007, 3:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of light

I meant to say I thought jobs would be scarce, not "scare".
Wouldn't get a job as a proof reader!!
Old Dec 1st 2007, 3:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Old Dec 1st 2007, 10:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud of

Hey, if you want scarey go to Maryborough on Thursday, market day!!

Angela

Originally Posted by Mrs Kiwi
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

andy1961 is on a distinguished road

Hya

Were off to hervey bay early jan.2 sons 10 & 18,wifes a nurse and im gonna be a house husband lol.Hope to see u all then.

Andy & Caroline
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Looks like there'll be a fair few of us in Hervey Bay which is nice to know. I've read and heard so many mixed opinions of Hervey Bay, on here and other places. Lots of people say it is "God's waiting room" due to the high number of retirees there. Other people rave about it and say the Fraser Coast will be the next Sunshine or Gold Coast as it is set to explode!
I'm just going with the great gut feeling I got about the place when I was there in September. I'm really looking forward to it, and nervous too.
Would love to hear any snippets of Hervey Bay life from those of you already there; what you do with your free time, best places to eat out, anything really. Thanks.
PS; Angela - why is Maryborough scary on market day; I'm intrigued!!
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 2:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Welllllllllllllllllllll

Marybrough is a lovely place. Lots of beautiful queenslander homes, especially the ones on the river. But a tadge run down in places.

But there dont seem to be many people in the gene pool, if you get my drift.

Lots of bare footers, floral wearing, mullet wearing, types!!!
Apart from that there are a lovely bunch!!

I also read that it is gods waiting room, but I think things are changing. Lots more families coming into the bay. Loads of new estates going up etc.. I think this place still has the small town feel, and housing is still very afordable.

Angela
Old Dec 4th 2007, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Maryborough sounds like an experience! We drove through there on the way to Hervey Bay but didn't see much of it.
I'm so pleased to hear you guys in Hervey Bay seem to be enjoying your new lives som much. Is there anything you would admit to not liking about Hervey Bay, or your new life? I'm looking at it through rose coloured glasses at the moment and I think a reality check may be useful too. Thanks x
Old Dec 4th 2007, 9:39 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cookster
Welllllllllllllllllllll

Lots of bare footers, floral wearing, mullet wearing, types!!!
Apart from that there are a lovely bunch!!

Angela
You called?
Old Dec 4th 2007, 10:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oh bloody hell have you turned into `one of them` ?

Angela x

Originally Posted by cresta57
You called?
Old Dec 4th 2007, 10:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Morning,
Hummmmmmmm things I don`t like about Hervey Bay.
How anal the Ozzies are in general about letting your dog off the lead.
The lack of quality shops.
I cant buy Bisto gravy granules.

Have racked my brains and thats about it.
Terrible place really, even considering coming home........... NOT !!

Have a nice day.
Angela

Originally Posted by Mrs Kiwi
Maryborough sounds like an experience! We drove through there on the way to Hervey Bay but didn't see much of it.
I'm so pleased to hear you guys in Hervey Bay seem to be enjoying your new lives som much. Is there anything you would admit to not liking about Hervey Bay, or your new life? I'm looking at it through rose coloured glasses at the moment and I think a reality check may be useful too. Thanks x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.