Reload this Page >

New guys heading for Gold Coast

New guys heading for Gold Coast

Old May 8th 2010, 11:34 am
Just Joined

Egans is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New guys heading for Gold Coast

Hello everyone
We are moving out to the Gold Coast in Sept 10, me (Shaun), wife (Anne) and 2 kids 11 & 3 year old (Jamie & Bradley), wanting to settle around Pacific Pines - Robina area. Anne is a Mental Health Nurse currently working with children and is registered with Queensland Nursing Council, and I am a Mechanical Technician (working on large chemical plants ex ICI), Anne should find a good amount of work options but not sure about me, we were over in March for a recci and saw things like the VB brewery and companies like Dalkia also thought of maintenance in the hospitals & working for the Gov, any advice or other companies about this would be much appreciated. Housing wise we are going to rent for the first 6 months until we find our feet and take it from there, heard a few rumors that housing prices may drop??? Visa process has been a long road but glad everything is now in place. jamie is due to start secondary school in england in september hence the move out at that time, would he have to resit a year at primary school when we arrive?
Any feedback would be brilliant. Cant wait to get on the plane.
Old May 8th 2010, 10:52 pm
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New guys heading for Gold Coast

Hi Mate, you may be best to start looking at jobs now and applying for them. They aren't that many big company's in the Coast so you may have to look at Brizzy as well. Have you put Down Jamie's name for a school yet? Are you sticking with State or going private? The school year hear starts in January and Jamie MAY have to re-do his last year. Defo rent for the first 6-12months. Theres a lot of place's that look nice but you only find out what they are like once you have lived there. As for House price's dropping, IMO I don't think the lower ($400K/$500K) end will as you will always have investors looking to buy them.
Good luck with the move and hope you have a safe journey.
Old May 9th 2010, 9:17 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Suni&Jay
As for House price's dropping, IMO I don't think the lower ($400K/$500K) end will as you will always have investors looking to buy them.
I tend to agree with you on that.

Median houses "prices" may well drop, and I feel they will, but that does NOT mean that house prices will actually drop.

See this to follow my thinking...

Example 1
11 houses sell
$900,000
$850,000
$830,000
$830,000
$825,000
$800,000
$500,000
$400,000
$300,000
$300,000
$300,000
Median price is $800,000
Example 2
11 houses sell
$990,000
$935,000
$913,000
$913,000
$907,500
$550,000
$440,000
$440,000
$330,000
$330,000
$330,000

Median price is $550,000 or a DROP of 31%
So we have a 35% drop in median prices, but the properties have ALL actually risen by 10%.

Caused by more of the lower priced properties selling than the higher prices ones. Nothing more than that.

Old May 9th 2010, 9:40 am
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I tend to agree with you on that.

Median houses "prices" may well drop, and I feel they will, but that does NOT mean that house prices will actually drop.

See this to follow my thinking...

Example 1

Example 2

So we have a 35% drop in median prices, but the properties have ALL actually risen by 10%.

Caused by more of the lower priced properties selling than the higher prices ones. Nothing more than that.
Yes, but I don't think many people understand the difference between Median and average.
Old May 9th 2010, 11:19 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

In the majority of schools, he will have to redo the last year of Primary but my daughter did similar and she was fine and had friends to move on to High School with, it was no big deal (except when she spoke to friends back in the UK who were 'technically' a year ahead.
Old May 9th 2010, 7:24 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Guys moving to Gold Coast

welcome.
all the info you need can be found by using the search option.
every question that can be asked already has lol
its the best way to use this site. just type in what you want to know in the search box and you will have plenty of ideas.

good luck