Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

new Ex-Pat to be!

new Ex-Pat to be!

Old Jun 28th 2011, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

saff has a brilliant futuresaff has a brilliant futuresaff has a brilliant futuresaff has a brilliant futuresaff has a brilliant futuresaff has a brilliant future
Default new Ex-Pat to be!

Hi guys and girls

I've recently accepted a position out in Western Australia

totally excited but lots to do before I go next month or so

one bit that you guys might be able to help with is pay, taxes and the like.. I'm having a real tough time trying to work out what my NET salary will be, what taxes I'll be liable for and if this living away from home allowance applies..

woudl really appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction! Also if someone could suggest a few car rental places in WA (perth) I'd be grateful, as the ones I've found only rent tiny hatchbacks to under 25's (I'm 23) and perfer driving something larger (not overly concerned, it will hopefully only be for two weeks until I can get my head around how the car system works out there and buy my own wheels!!

thanks in advance!!
Old Jun 28th 2011, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Dewsbury, West Yorkshire but aiming for distant shores....
Reaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: new Ex-Pat to be!

Try this one for size my friend.......

http://www.paycalculator.com.au/

Hope that helps.

Old Jun 28th 2011, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

saff has a brilliant futuresaff has a brilliant futuresaff has a brilliant futuresaff has a brilliant futuresaff has a brilliant futuresaff has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Reaver

Hope that helps.

helps v much, thank you! The calculator doesnt show up for me (unless I'm being dense - highly likely) but the info there let me work it out more or less.. with the standard tax and flood levy, it was in the ballpark I was thinking it would be!

So, Superannuation is bascially a pension rate paid by the employer? a little confused, because my work contract makes reference to a percentage of my package, net of superannuation is a bonus paid on top, returnable if I quit.. does this mean that effectively that percentage is paid to me on the basis that I repaye it if I leave early?

it goes on to say that the package includes the amount payable by the company pursuant to the Company’s statutory obligation to pay 9% superannuation on behalf of the Employee; how I read it, that just means that the package includes superannuation and this will come out of the salary?

many thanks
Old Jun 28th 2011, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Reaver

Hope that helps.

my last reply seems to have dissapeared - but very helpful thanks.. calculator didnt appear (unless I'm being thick - very likely!!) but the info let me work it out..

so I'd basically be looking at: salary less tiered tax, then less super annuation @ 9% of salary, less flood levy @ 0.5% of salary which is over $50k?