Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

New driving license in Oz

New driving license in Oz

Old Mar 26th 2007, 4:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

What_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really nice
Default New driving license in Oz

Hello,
Please could anyone tell me what do we have to do about getting a new driving license. I understand that you can drive in Oz on a U.K. license,but after 3 months,you need to get an ozzie one. Do you need to re take your driving test,or do you just go and fill out some paperwork for a new one. Am hoping its the latter,as have picked up some bad habits over the years
many thanks
Deb
Old Mar 26th 2007, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

BIDERCLAN is just really niceBIDERCLAN is just really niceBIDERCLAN is just really niceBIDERCLAN is just really niceBIDERCLAN is just really niceBIDERCLAN is just really niceBIDERCLAN is just really niceBIDERCLAN is just really nice
Default Re: New driving license in Oz

Not Sure About Other States, But In Victoria You Just Take Your Uk Licence Go To Relevant Department And Get It Changed For An Oz One - You Do Need Both Parts Of You Licence.

Debbie
Old Mar 26th 2007, 5:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

What_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really nice

Originally Posted by BIDERCLAN
Not Sure About Other States, But In Victoria You Just Take Your Uk Licence Go To Relevant Department And Get It Changed For An Oz One - You Do Need Both Parts Of You Licence.

Debbie
Thank you, we are going to Nsw,hopefully its the same there
Will have to write to dvla,(that doesnt look right now Ive written it down ) as I have lost my driving license anyway,so that has given me the push I needed to sort it out
Thanks for your quick reply!
Old Mar 26th 2007, 6:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

nigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud of

Hi,

If you click on www.nsw.gov.au. Then go to tranport, then license, you should find out where and what to do..

Hope it helps
Old Mar 26th 2007, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nigelb
Hi,

If you click on www.nsw.gov.au. Then go to tranport, then license, you should find out where and what to do..

Hope it helps
Thamk you, I will do that
Old Mar 26th 2007, 9:05 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by What_a_life
Thamk you, I will do that
It's the same in NSW... Takes about 15 minutes and you get to keep your UK one without hole puching...
Old Mar 26th 2007, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

MichelleV will become famous soon enoughMichelleV will become famous soon enough

What are the rules in regards to young drivers. My daughter (18 1/2) passed her driving test a year ago, does the same rule apply in exchanging her uk licence for Aus one or will she have to re-sit driving test

michelle
Old Mar 27th 2007, 12:41 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rodders39
It's the same in NSW... Takes about 15 minutes and you get to keep your UK one without hole puching...
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/...l_drivers.html

They used to punch a hole on a foreign licence that has been "converted". The RTA website no longer describes this as a standard procedure, so maybe they decided that they (RTA) didn't have the authority to deface a foreign licence!

Peter
Old Mar 27th 2007, 12:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MichelleV
What are the rules in regards to young drivers. My daughter (18 1/2) passed her driving test a year ago, does the same rule apply in exchanging her uk licence for Aus one or will she have to re-sit driving test

michelle
Don't think she will have to resit her test. Will most likely be put on P plates though which basically means tougher punishment for speeding etc and a limit on the power of the car she can drive. Different states will have different rules so it will all depend on where you are going
Old Mar 27th 2007, 12:56 am
Forum Regular

andy w is a name known to allandy w is a name known to allandy w is a name known to allandy w is a name known to allandy w is a name known to allandy w is a name known to allandy w is a name known to allandy w is a name known to allandy w is a name known to allandy w is a name known to allandy w is a name known to all

Originally Posted by rodders39
Count your selfs lucky. Yesterday we spent 2.5hrs getting ours done only to be told at the end of it that i need a bloody medical because of high blood pressure, to top it all off we're not even sure that they have given hubby his motorbike licence. We have just had our first truly WAIT AWHILE moment.

Elaine
Old Mar 27th 2007, 9:39 am
I'd rather be fishin' !!!

Kernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by What_a_life
Hello,
Please could anyone tell me what do we have to do about getting a new driving license. I understand that you can drive in Oz on a U.K. license,but after 3 months,you need to get an ozzie one. Do you need to re take your driving test,or do you just go and fill out some paperwork for a new one. Am hoping its the latter,as have picked up some bad habits over the years
many thanks
Deb
We were in NSW in 2003. To get an Oz licence you will need to find your nearest RTA, who will get you to sit an Oz theory test on computer. There are several places that you can do this in, and RTA will tell you where. When you pass the test, you take the relevant signed-off paperwork back to RTA, complete a new application and they will generate a new NSW Licence. Photographing and all else is done on the spot, including the inevitable fee !! Part of the process involves punching a hole in your UK licence, (so you can't claim to be a holidaymaker), make sure they give you a signed explanatory note, in case you need to produce your UK licence back here. You can get busted for defacing a driving licence!!

You may want to wait until the 2 month point to apply, although there's no real advantage. The test is easy, common sense really. Very much like the UK theory test.

Hope this helps. Good luck
Old Mar 27th 2007, 9:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kernow1
We were in NSW in 2003. To get an Oz licence you will need to find your nearest RTA, who will get you to sit an Oz theory test on computer. There are several places that you can do this in, and RTA will tell you where. When you pass the test, you take the relevant signed-off paperwork back to RTA, complete a new application and they will generate a new NSW Licence. Photographing and all else is done on the spot, including the inevitable fee !! Part of the process involves punching a hole in your UK licence, (so you can't claim to be a holidaymaker), make sure they give you a signed explanatory note, in case you need to produce your UK licence back here. You can get busted for defacing a driving licence!!

You may want to wait until the 2 month point to apply, although there's no real advantage. The test is easy, common sense really. Very much like the UK theory test.

The test has been scrapped in most of Australia now, and it seems that they don't punch holes in your licence anymore either.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 9:50 am
I'd rather be fishin' !!!

Kernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Wendy
The test has been scrapped in most of Australia now, and it seems that they don't punch holes in your licence anymore either.
How some things change for the better eh? Can't say I'm all that surprised, it was so similar to the UK Highway Code anyway.

We're back over in June, so my OH will be pleased about that. She didn't relish the thought of driving in Sydney last time round.

Thanks for that Wendy
Old Mar 27th 2007, 9:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

How some things change for the better eh? Can't say I'm all that surprised, it was so similar to the UK Highway Code anyway.

We're back over in June, so my OH will be pleased about that. She didn't relish the thought of driving in Sydney last time round.

Thanks for that Wendy

Tell your wife she can stop worrying now.

Good luck with your move and everything.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Thank you very much,for the info.Its good to know what the deal is in nsw. Will have to read up on ozzie roadsisgns,only 1 I know is kangaroo crossing, and watch out for crocs
Does anyone know what the license fee is?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.