Reload this Page >

New Citizenship Legislation

New Citizenship Legislation

Old Sep 15th 2005, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

Thebridge is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New Citizenship Legislation

Originally Posted by JAJ
Absolutely not. It will be the law of the land clearly stated in an Act of Parliament.

You can always write to your federal MP and give your views on the matter. Something like an exemption for existing PRs could be added within committee stage as it's a detail rather than the principle of the bill.

Even after it increases to three years, it will take less time to become a citizen in Australia compared to many other countries, for example:

- Canada has a three year residence period (but they are taking almost 18 months to process applications)
- New Zealand now has five years
- the United Kingdom, Ireland and USA have a five year residence requirement (reduced to three for spouses of citizens)
- France and Sweden have a five year requirement
- Germany requires 8 years
- Switzerland demands 12 years (more in some cantons).

Jeremy
Thank you Jeremy for your answer.
Old Sep 15th 2005, 9:50 am
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

well...I'm in full agreement that the 'proper' thing to do would be to have some sort of dividing line.....but these are bureaucrats that are deciding things after all and they just tend to do whatever they want....they don't really care about you or me or how changes in policy affect us.

I for one am hoping that any changes won't come into affect until after February next year so that I can apply as planned in January. Selfish I know.
Old Sep 15th 2005, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

Thebridge is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NewOZ
How can i contact the PM?????????

I wanted to buy a house but now i dont feel settled.
i have to wait an extra year

all my plans will change based on this New Legislation
I understand how you feel NewOz. I thought that I was settled in Australia with a very good job and an outstanding future. So, I was planning to buy a house.

What I realised is that I am very committed to the country but unfortunately the country does not seem to be very committed to me.

Perhaps the Government wishes to have a lot of taxpayers here in Oz but without the rights of citizens.

I think that the extension of the waiting period for one year has nothing to do with the fight against terrorism. Something is hidden in this proposal law, but I don't know what.
Old Sep 15th 2005, 10:06 am
Banned

NewOZ will become famous soon enoughNewOZ will become famous soon enough

I does not seem that John Cobb cares about PR.
We are still foreigners here

I read Cobb speech yesterday and he mentioned nothing about cases like ours

The new legislation will be introduced to Parliament by Cobb in the next few weeks

maybe assenting will be the bullet of mercy, at least we will know how to change our ruined plans
Old Sep 15th 2005, 11:28 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by banjo
yeah...the implications for the spouses are really terrible I think....I don't know much about it, but just from what Pollyanna (and others) have said. I would suggest writing to your MP and making the point.
The Government's announcement of the 8 September makes it clear they still intend to proceed with the Hardgrave reforms of July 2004, which should make it easier for spouses.

It will still do no harm to write to one's federal MP and ask him or her to raise the specific problems faced by spouses with the Citizenship Minister.

Jeremy
Old Sep 15th 2005, 11:49 am
Banned

How can we do that Jeremy?
How to contact any of them???
will any of them really cares?!
Old Sep 15th 2005, 11:51 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

How can we do that Jeremy?
How to contact any of them???
Find your federal MP at:
http://www.aec.gov.au
http://www.aph.gov.au

will any of them really cares?!
Maybe - and maybe not.

Jeremy
Old Sep 15th 2005, 2:23 pm
Banned

note that we r not citizens yet
Old Sep 15th 2005, 9:12 pm
JAJ
Retired

note that we r not citizens yet
You can still write to your MP - it's just that he or she may not pay quite as much attention.

Jeremy
Old Sep 17th 2005, 10:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

I emailed (and wrote) to our local MP, and received a reply back in less than an hour!

"Just a quick note to let you know I am seeking advice on your position considering the new legislation.

As soon as an answer is to hand I will contact you immediately."

So far so good..

Everyone potentially affected by any change to this legislation should write to their local MP, and at least raise a level of awareness about this issue.

Lets face it, most legislation will be drafted by public servants in between scanning the Public Service Gazette and fiddling their flexitime! (ok a slightly cynical view of public servants)
Old Sep 17th 2005, 10:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

Originally Posted by Trevglas
I emailed (and wrote) to our local MP, and received a reply back in less than an hour!

"Just a quick note to let you know I am seeking advice on your position considering the new legislation.

As soon as an answer is to hand I will contact you immediately."

So far so good..

Everyone potentially affected by any change to this legislation should write to their local MP, and at least raise a level of awareness about this issue.

Lets face it, most legislation will be drafted by public servants in between scanning the Public Service Gazette and fiddling their flexitime! (ok a slightly cynical view of public servants)
Write to you local Federal MP (or more precisely the MP for the electorate in which you live) by all means, but Johnny has a way of getting quick legislation when he wants it. And he has little regard for the wishes, let alone the rights, of individuals who might get hurt along the way: Hicks, Salon, Rau or http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/act...750129158.html.

It's all about appearing to be tough. And sadly, a comfortable electorate (like that in the UK and the US) let him get away with it if it does not increase interest rates.

This is a Federal matter but the states might be able to negotiate on this issue in exchange for the other things Johnny says he wants.

Recent citizenship recipients should be even more vigorous in their advocacy as they can at least vote.
Old Sep 17th 2005, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Banksia
Write to you local Federal MP (or more precisely the MP for the electorate in which you live) by all means, but Johnny has a way of getting quick legislation when he wants it. And he has little regard for the wishes, let alone the rights, of individuals who might get hurt along the way: Hicks, Salon, Rau or http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/act...750129158.html.

It's all about appearing to be tough. And sadly, a comfortable electorate (like that in the UK and the US) let him get away with it if it does not increase interest rates.

This is a Federal matter but the states might be able to negotiate on this issue in exchange for the other things Johnny says he wants.

Recent citizenship recipients should be even more vigorous in their advocacy as they can at least vote.
What you say is true, and as I have mentioned before on this forum, the proposed changes will not actually achieve a safer Australia, but rather will provide JH with an easy way of appearing big and tough

But lets face it, you and I dont have a say in any of this: the only course open to us is via the federal MP's. Hopefully some of them may see the merit in addressing this, after all each and every PR is a potential voter (once they gain citizenship that is)
Old Sep 18th 2005, 1:58 pm
Banned

Hi Trevglas

may you please tell me how did you find your MP email?

I want to write too

we have to do something...
Old Sep 18th 2005, 7:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

Hi Trevglas

may you please tell me how did you find your MP email?

I want to write too

we have to do something...
Hi I hope you don't mind me replying, click on the top link Jeremy posted above in his post, then when the site comes up click on the box that says who represents you, you can then do a search for the area you live that will tell you what electorate you are in and who represents you.

Katie
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 11:14 am
Banned

They still broadcasting the citizenship ad
"There is no better time to be an Australian citizen ..."

Whats going on???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.