Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

New Citizenship Legislation

New Citizenship Legislation

Old Sep 9th 2005, 5:27 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice
Default Re: New Citizenship Legislation

ah, maybe i'll just stop being lazy and walk next door to the DIMIA office and arrange an appointment.

one thing, can you arrange the appointment BEFORE you are eligible, as long as the actual appointent is AFTER you are.

just want to get my citizenship before they want me to get another year!!

Originally Posted by banjo
Apparently applying in person is the quickest route. I also was only aware of being able to apply via the internet or post office, but you can ring 131800 and arrange for an appointment at your local DIMIA office. You take all your paperwork, photos, fee etc. with you and they sort it. Apparently sometimes they will approve your application straight away (guess that will change with extra security checks), but usually takes up to two weeks and then you just have to have the ceremony. Make sure you know the rights and responsibilities bit.
Old Sep 9th 2005, 6:24 am
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by brisnick
ah, maybe i'll just stop being lazy and walk next door to the DIMIA office and arrange an appointment.

one thing, can you arrange the appointment BEFORE you are eligible, as long as the actual appointent is AFTER you are.

just want to get my citizenship before they want me to get another year!!

yes you can make an appointment about two months in advance I think. When I rang a few weeks back they were taking appointments up to mid November. You live next door to the DIMIA office?! Very handy. 2 hrs drive to ours.
Old Sep 9th 2005, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

jasonK944 is an unknown quantity at this point

This legislation should is so controversial (not talking about teh 3 year ciizenship bit) that iif introduce in the British Parliament it would take years to pass as a result of debate and amendment etc i.e back and forward between commons and lords. However, this is Auz and my great fear is that an executive decision is made by John Howard and all of a sudden its passed.

Gingers crossed there are some dissenters in Aus!
Old Sep 9th 2005, 12:45 pm
Banned

NewOZ will become famous soon enoughNewOZ will become famous soon enough

I checked the Parliament Site and I found 98 Bills has been assent the average time from Entering the House till being assent is 3 Months and 19 days
Old Sep 10th 2005, 5:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Manchester UK to Sydney, then decided Gold Coast, stayed there for 8 months and now back in sydney
threlly is on a distinguished road

this may be a silly ?, but do the changes also mean u cant sponser family until u have been in oz for 3 years?
cheers

Originally Posted by JAJ
1. The residence calculator at http://www.citizenship.gov.au will tell you when you can apply.

2. Look at forms 124 and 1027i and make sure you have all the documentation they will need to process your application.

3. The impending change will likely increase the number of applicants and hence processing time, so I'd look at applying as soon as possible. Countless numbers of people put it off (or don'tthink about it) and then regret it once they have left.

Jeremy
Old Sep 10th 2005, 7:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

Looks like I will need a decent lawyer/migration agent soon.

I should have qualified for citizenship in June, but seeing as I work for an overseas company, and have spent a fair bit of time outside Australia (on business), my qualification date is now currently February next year.

I do however pay tax here in Australia

Situation is my company is making noises about me moving over to Singapore for a couple of years, and whilst they are happy to put things off whilst I resolve this particular issue, an extra 1 year wait will not wash with them. Also a change in residency requirements will push me deep into RRV territory when I am likely to want to come back.

This is not a "grab citizenship then clear off back to the UK" case, my wife is Australian, we are buying a house here, I fully intend to come back once my o/seas stint is finished (hopefully with a pot of dosh saved thanks to the top rate 18% tax in Singapore).

This is all the more annoying due to the time I was here on a provisional visa counts for nothing.
Old Sep 10th 2005, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

suzysu is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know what will happen with the spouse visas? I'm still on a temp de facto at the moment, so does that mean i still have to have a pr visa for 3 years before becoming a citizen?
Old Sep 10th 2005, 9:25 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasonK944
This legislation should is so controversial (not talking about teh 3 year ciizenship bit) that iif introduce in the British Parliament it would take years to pass as a result of debate and amendment etc i.e back and forward between commons and lords.
The Nationality, Immigration and Asylum Act 2002 took about six months to clear Parliament.

However, this is Auz and my great fear is that an executive decision is made by John Howard and all of a sudden its passed.

Gingers crossed there are some dissenters in Aus!
Laws can't be changed by "executive decision". Extension of the residence period will require legislation.

However policies can be, so the increased security checking for citizenship applicants will take effect more or less immediately.

Jeremy
Old Sep 10th 2005, 9:28 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trevglas
Looks like I will need a decent lawyer/migration agent soon.

I should have qualified for citizenship in June, but seeing as I work for an overseas company, and have spent a fair bit of time outside Australia (on business), my qualification date is now currently February next year.

I do however pay tax here in Australia
If you're living in Australia and paying taxes in Australia, and are just travelling a lot on business (for an Australian employer), then if you have been a PR for 2+ years then maybe think about applying for citizenship now anyway. You'll probably need some professional assistance from an agent or lawyer familiar with citizenship. You could try Peter Bollard in Sydney.

This is all the more annoying due to the time I was here on a provisional visa counts for nothing.
That may change once the new legislation is passed.

Jeremy
Old Sep 10th 2005, 9:28 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by threlly
this may be a silly ?, but do the changes also mean u cant sponser family until u have been in oz for 3 years?
cheers

Why should it?

Jeremy
Old Sep 10th 2005, 9:29 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by suzysu
Does anyone know what will happen with the spouse visas? I'm still on a temp de facto at the moment, so does that mean i still have to have a pr visa for 3 years before becoming a citizen?

They say they will implement the reforms proposed by former Minister Hardgrave in 2004, so it's possible that part of the time on a temporary spouse visa will count towards the new 3 year requirement.

But realistically, until they publish some draft legislation, no-one knows.

Jeremy
Old Sep 10th 2005, 1:34 pm
Sydney- North Shore

jjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JAJ
They say they will implement the reforms proposed by former Minister Hardgrave in 2004, so it's possible that part of the time on a temporary spouse visa will count towards the new 3 year requirement.

But realistically, until they publish some draft legislation, no-one knows.

Jeremy
What about time spent on a 457 prior to PR? can anyone offer any commentary on whether any consideration will be given to that??
Old Sep 10th 2005, 1:53 pm
Sydney- North Shore

jjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant future

also, the july 2004 changes include this:

"introducing a discretion to allow for periods of up to twelve months spent in Australia on a temporary visa prior to application to be counted as permanent residence if the applicant was involved in activities beneficial to Australia during that period"
What does applicant was involved in activities beneficial to Australia during that period" mean in real terms one wonders???????? IS this just having a job in the profession you held a temp visa for or something which would enable you to go for nobel prize????

Last edited by JAJ; Sep 10th 2005 at 7:57 pm.
Old Sep 10th 2005, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=jjonboy]

What does applicant was involved in activities beneficial to Australia during that period" mean in real terms one wonders???????? IS this just having a job in the profession you held a temp visa for or something which would enable you to go for nobel prize????
I rang DIMIA re this point a couple of months back, and their definition of activities beneficial to Australia involved representing Australia in a sporting event or working for the Australian govt!
Old Sep 10th 2005, 8:00 pm
JAJ
Retired

[QUOTE=Trevglas]
Originally Posted by jjonboy

I rang DIMIA re this point a couple of months back, and their definition of activities beneficial to Australia involved representing Australia in a sporting event or working for the Australian govt!
I think you were actually told about "Significant hardship or disadvantage" which is one of the *current* reasons for giving a concession on the 2 year residence requirement. Form 1027i explains this further.

If you want precise information then 'ringing DIMIA' is usually not the best option.

There should be more flexibility in crediting time on a 457/SIR towards the residence requirement once the legislation is passed. However we won't know until we see it. If you're affected by this you have to be patient for now.

Jeremy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.