new challenge

Old Oct 16th 2003, 6:18 am
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

deedee is on a distinguished road
Default new challenge

Well today is the start of a new challenge for me in NZ's south.As from today i'll be working and living on one of the main stations in Queenstown.Theres a nice perk too,i'm now living on the face of the Remarkables looking down onto Queenstown....which is nice.
Our own farm is in the process of transfering to organic so the best option was to leave it be and grow feed,not graze it.Have to do something to keep me amused for the next few years
Old Oct 16th 2003, 8:16 am
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

man that sounds gorgeous. pity I'm a city boy.... don't think I'd last 5 seconds on a farm, no matter how appealing it sounds!
Old Oct 16th 2003, 10:23 am
Just Joined

Surfer Boy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: new challenge

Originally posted by deedee
Well today is the start of a new challenge for me in NZ's south.As from today i'll be working and living on one of the main stations in Queenstown.Theres a nice perk too,i'm now living on the face of the Remarkables looking down onto Queenstown....which is nice.
Our own farm is in the process of transfering to organic so the best option was to leave it be and grow feed,not graze it.Have to do something to keep me amused for the next few years
I have been considering moving to Queenstown from Sydney. The town and the mountains look amazing. What sort of town is like to live in? Are the locals friendly or do they treat all outsiders as seasonal workers?. I am going to have a look at Dunedin and Queenstown on the 23 Oct with a view to relocating in January.
Old Oct 16th 2003, 7:18 pm
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

well having been in Queenstown area for nearly a year now we have sort of a feel for the place.It is a little unkind towards workers as most people are either seasonal or tempory,passing through.I just found out today that they even charge locals less in the supermarket Those are really the only uncomfortable side effects of living here,however the plus side i feel is huge.....as anyone who's seen a picture of the place will know.Its quite a happening place really and has a feeling like Chamonix in France.Its that exact same alpine culture.One thing for sure is that Dunedin and Queenstown are very different places indeed.Dunedin has that large city feel where as Queenstown has that village/town feel(even if it is turning urban sprawl)As everyone here keeps telling me,the changes have only just begun and there is a village of 1200 houses going up on 1000 acres of this station next year alone....everyone else is having the same ideas too.Not good in my opinion.
I'd say come and have a look.I would be amazed if anyone did'nt find it a pretty place.Good luck.
Old Oct 16th 2003, 8:31 pm

cinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud of

well having been in Queenstown area for nearly a year now we have sort of a feel for the place.It is a little unkind towards workers as most people are either seasonal or tempory,passing through.I just found out today that they even charge locals less in the supermarket Those are really the only uncomfortable side effects of living here,however the plus side i feel is huge.....as anyone who's seen a picture of the place will know.Its quite a happening place really and has a feeling like Chamonix in France.Its that exact same alpine culture.One thing for sure is that Dunedin and Queenstown are very different places indeed.Dunedin has that large city feel where as Queenstown has that village/town feel(even if it is turning urban sprawl)As everyone here keeps telling me,the changes have only just begun and there is a village of 1200 houses going up on 1000 acres of this station next year alone....everyone else is having the same ideas too.Not good in my opinion.
I'd say come and have a look.I would be amazed if anyone did'nt find it a pretty place.Good luck.

Hi there,

My cousin lives in Queenstown and my sister lived there 2 ears ago, they both said that locals get discounts in all the shops. And as the prices are more expensive in QT, I am sure you should get that sorted.

Always wanted to ask you this - Do you find QT claustrophobic?
Old Oct 16th 2003, 10:31 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

You're dead right about Chamonix...and Chamonix prices too!!! LOADS of modest properties with immodestly great views going for the million+ mark...and QT isn't exactly close/ convenient to anywhere else. NZ does have a seriously rich class after all...
Old Oct 16th 2003, 11:49 pm
Just Joined

Surfer Boy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
You're dead right about Chamonix...and Chamonix prices too!!! LOADS of modest properties with immodestly great views going for the million+ mark...and QT isn't exactly close/ convenient to anywhere else. NZ does have a seriously rich class after all...
I see your looking for a house on the North Island, are you living in QT at the moment? I am thinking of moving from Sydney to either QT or Wanaka. Born and bred in Sydney but fed up with the cost of living and the over development.
Old Oct 17th 2003, 5:36 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Surfer Boy
I see your looking for a house on the North Island, are you living in QT at the moment? I am thinking of moving from Sydney to either QT or Wanaka. Born and bred in Sydney but fed up with the cost of living and the over development.
No but we had a good nose around S Island the first 3 weeks we were here. Absolutely beautiful QT and Wanaka, I understand the desirability but can't understand the QT prices. Wanaka is just getting the treatment now, I understand it was only "discovered" in the last year! Also v beautiful. Probably still enough time to get on the housing wagon. You might not get Sydney concentration but there is tons of property development going on in both places.

Fair bit of motel/ hotel price competition in QT and we got a very good deal in a posh hotel there overlooking the lake from the top level.
Old Oct 17th 2003, 6:54 am
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

Originally posted by cinderella
Hi there,

My cousin lives in Queenstown and my sister lived there 2 ears ago, they both said that locals get discounts in all the shops. And as the prices are more expensive in QT, I am sure you should get that sorted.

Always wanted to ask you this - Do you find QT claustrophobic?
Queenstown is rather claustrophobic,even more so if you live in town.I find it nice when you can go out and come back to quiet,which in QT life you will never get.We're not too bad as the station is 11kms from end to end and covers most of the Remarkables so theres no one but us living on this bit of the mountain.I could'nt live here full time as its just too full on,we need our weekends of utter silence back on our own farm.Yep,its claustrophobic.
Old Oct 17th 2003, 9:04 pm

cinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud of

Queenstown is rather claustrophobic,even more so if you live in town.I find it nice when you can go out and come back to quiet,which in QT life you will never get.We're not too bad as the station is 11kms from end to end and covers most of the Remarkables so theres no one but us living on this bit of the mountain.I could'nt live here full time as its just too full on,we need our weekends of utter silence back on our own farm.Yep,its claustrophobic.

Thanks for your reply. When we were in QT in August last year we found what we thought would be the perfect business location (in the mall). Found out this year that it maybe for sale, but then had many second thoughts, which is why I asked you the question.

I love QT though, but just don't know if I could move my whole family there. As a child it was where we had our Christmas holiday every year and then go skiing in August. It is just a fab place.
Old Oct 18th 2003, 1:24 am
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

well i dont know if this will work but i'll try it anyhow.......a pic of the housey on the remarkables!
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...95335437UCRiWS