British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Are new cars really this expensive in Oz? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/new-cars-really-expensive-oz-277859/)

Wave the Sails Jan 16th 2005 11:10 am

Are new cars really this expensive in Oz?

We have been doing a fair bit of research into the new car market in Oz (Perth) and can't see much difference between the prices here and there (mainly Toyota and Mazda).

We were just wondering if this is to be expected? We aren't likely to buy a new car but it seemed a good point of reference to compare.

Can anyone shed any light please?

Or any good dealerships that aren't going to try and rip us off?

Understand we shouldn't wander in tan-less and with a suitcase of dosh - so St.Tropez booked :cool:

Thanks

Mr Jones

hevs Jan 16th 2005 11:16 am

Re: Are new cars really this expensive in Oz?

We bought new and definately cheaper. You WILL need to haggle, we told them what money we had to spend (obviously LESS that we really had) and got $5 grand knocked off the list price. We also gained a FF tow bar, mats, bull bar (wait for it!!) and headlamp protectors. HUP fights hard for a fair price, i just walk round pretending not to know him :D

Jacko1 Jan 16th 2005 11:19 am

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
We have been doing a fair bit of research into the new car market in Oz (Perth) and can't see much difference between the prices here and there (mainly Toyota and Mazda).

We were just wondering if this is to be expected? We aren't likely to buy a new car but it seemed a good point of reference to compare.

Can anyone shed any light please?

Or any good dealerships that aren't going to try and rip us off?

Understand we shouldn't wander in tan-less and with a suitcase of dosh - so St.Tropez booked :cool:

Thanks

Mr Jones

Yup I'm afraid to say that new cars are very expensive (if you are earning Aussie dollars) and second hand cars hold they value a ten year old 4wd will still cost around 18K unless it has horribly high km's
The upside is you can haggle alot at car dealers, but (IMO) cars are dear.

Compared to UK prices (using the £ etc) I guess the prices are about the same

When are you over?

Paul J

Wave the Sails Jan 16th 2005 11:31 am

Originally Posted by Jacko1
Yup I'm afraid to say that new cars are very expensive (if you are earning Aussie dollars) and second hand cars hold they value a ten year old 4wd will still cost around 18K unless it has horribly high km's
The upside is you can haggle alot at car dealers, but (IMO) cars are dear.

Compared to UK prices (using the £ etc) I guess the prices are about the same

When are you over?

Paul J

March the 7th - yippee!!

We want to sort a car but don't have cash to splash on this sort of thing so will be very careful. Looking for decent estate car for Mrs Jones (pregnant :p ) and Littlen Jones (15 months :scared: )

Jacko1 Jan 16th 2005 11:53 am

March the 7th - yippee!!

We want to sort a car but don't have cash to splash on this sort of thing so will be very careful. Looking for decent estate car for Mrs Jones (pregnant :p ) and Littlen Jones (15 months :scared: )

You should be able to get a decent Ford Falcon Wagon (Estate) at one of the many car dealers at Wangara for approx $10,000, watch out for the Stamp Duty ($400.00) and Rego though can cost you an extra $500 approx for a year and Insurance is around $400 for a year too.

Wave the Sails Jan 16th 2005 12:12 pm

You should be able to get a decent Ford Falcon Wagon (Estate) at one of the many car dealers at Wangara for approx $10,000, watch out for the Stamp Duty ($400.00) and Rego though can cost you an extra $500 approx for a year and Insurance is around $400 for a year too.

I have always had a terrible aversion to Fords. Has this been unfounded?!

Merlot Jan 16th 2005 2:38 pm

I have always had a terrible aversion to Fords. Has this been unfounded?!

Stick with Ford's and you can't go too wrong for spares and repairs in Australia. Keeps it cheap.

I know stuff all about cars but hubby said they are defo cheaper here in the UK (he is car mad) but I would go onto say the cost of insurance, tax, petrol, Roadside Assistance, etc is more over in the UK too, so I guess it balances out.

Yes, do watch out for stamp duty, a stinger as you forget until you do to your RTA office and they hit you with the bill.

Also, driving licences in NSW are renewed every couple of years if I remember, not sure about other states. Minimal cost but to be factored in.

Good luck
Merlot

lynnlovessun Jan 16th 2005 6:01 pm

Does anyone know if it is a good idea to buy a 2/ 3 year old car. Would love something like a Honda CRV or ozzie equivelant. I though like in the UK we might be cheaper to go for one a couple of years old as thats when cars seem to depreciate the most.

What 4WD cars in Australia does anyone recommend?

thanks

Lynn :)

Hels Jan 16th 2005 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by lynnlovessun
Does anyone know if it is a good idea to buy a 2/ 3 year old car. Would love something like a Honda CRV or ozzie equivelant. I though like in the UK we might be cheaper to go for one a couple of years old as thats when cars seem to depreciate the most.

What 4WD cars in Australia does anyone recommend?

thanks

Lynn :)

Hi Lynn,

We bought a RAV4 Cruiser, 3 yr old, 38000 klm on the clock, has all the extras except cruise control and we paid $29,990 including all on road costs plus mats, headlight protectors, bonnet protector, and 1 yrs rego(we bought in October and its rego was running out in Nov so got them to pay a whole years rego for us)....

Plus....Hubby got a job at the dealers....

So all in all, not a bad buy, if you as me.... :D

bondipom Jan 16th 2005 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by Merlot
Stick with Ford's and you can't go too wrong for spares and repairs in Australia. Keeps it cheap.

I know stuff all about cars but hubby said they are defo cheaper here in the UK (he is car mad) but I would go onto say the cost of insurance, tax, petrol, Roadside Assistance, etc is more over in the UK too, so I guess it balances out.

Yes, do watch out for stamp duty, a stinger as you forget until you do to your RTA office and they hit you with the bill.

Also, driving licences in NSW are renewed every couple of years if I remember, not sure about other states. Minimal cost but to be factored in.

Good luck
Merlot

The Fords need those spare parts and roadside assistance.

markeh Jan 16th 2005 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by bondipom

Hiya,
I picked this one upo in the USA

Fix
On
Roadside
Daily

Bye
mark ;) :)

bondipom Jan 16th 2005 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by markeh
Hiya,
I picked this one upo in the USA

Fix
On
Roadside
Daily

Bye
mark ;) :)

Found on Roadside Dead is another I have heard.

debsy Jan 17th 2005 12:26 am

Originally Posted by hevs
HUP fights hard for a fair price, i just walk round pretending not to know him :D

lol Hevs - I have got one of those as well:)

We purchased new when we arrived and it seemed cheap to us. We did buy in October though so they were trying to get rid of the 2004 models.

4lex Jan 17th 2005 12:38 am

I'd give the Falcon the thumbs up too - 92 EB2 model onwards is a good choice. Recently picked one up for myself - OK it's twelve years old, but the old guy I bought it from had had it eleven of those years, and only done 160k km (you see plenty of these with well over half a million kays on them). Apart from wanting a pair of tyres up front, a new radio antenna and some attention to the fuel gauge it's in great shape. It's in silver too so doesn't look too dated, just A$2000.

cyclemark Jan 17th 2005 3:47 am

See http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing/m...uy/sdcalc.html for a stamp duty calculator for WA. Not quite as much as $400 but still too much!!

tinaj Jan 17th 2005 6:46 am

We bought a KIA Cerato for $18990 on the road including everything. We also got extra inclusions. You can get the slightly smaller Rio for $13 990 on the road. Watch out for on the road costs they can add up to $2500 plus here in QLD. So the ads might say Ford Focus for $19 900 but you have to add around another $2500 on top !!

We chose to but a brand new KIA over a 2-3 yr old other car. The 2-3 yr old cars here are not much cheaper, they really hold their value for years here.

Kiwipaul Jan 17th 2005 7:16 am

I've had no serious problenms with Fords both here and in the UK. My current Laser is 97, I bought it when it was 3 years old and the only thing that has failed is the battery. It's cheap to maintain and it does approx 600kms on a $40 tank of petrol, so I'd have no hesitation in buying another Ford.

Badge Jan 17th 2005 7:48 am

Our Ford Falcon gives us 600km on a tank. The same as my old Ford Sierra, as it happens!!

My diesal ute gives me 750km on a 60litre tank. Not all the distance is on a run.

Badge

ABCDiamond Jan 17th 2005 9:06 am

Here are some New car prices from the newspaper this weekend

Ford Fiesta LX $13,990.00 + $1,595+$95+??
Ford Focus CL $18,990.00 D/A
Ford Falcon BA $29,888.00 + $1,595+$95+??
Ford Escape 4WD 2.3 XLT $29,990.00 D/A

Suzuki Swift $15,990.00 + $1,745+$95+??
Suzuki Liana $16,488.00 + $1,745+$95+??
Suzuki Grand Vitara $31,388.00 + $1,745+$95+??

Mitsubishi Lancer Sedan $21,490.00 D/A
Mitsubishi Magna AWD $27,990.00 + $1,745+$95+??
Mitsubishi Pajero GLX $41,488.00 + $1,745+$95+??

Some are driveaway prices, marked D/A
The $1,595 & $1,745 are dealer delivery charges.

Hope that gives you some ideas, but yes, specs vary :)

also look at http://www.discountnewcars.com.au/
eg: Ford Focus 1.8CLK 4 door.
Rec.Ret Price: $22,660
Discount: $4,600
Net Price: $18,060
Plus: Dealer Delivery and State Government Charges

Dealer delivery charges vary by State:
eg: for the Ford Focus mentioned:
New South Wales - Dealer Delivery Fee for Ford Focus 1.8 CL 4 Door: $1,695.00
South Australia - Dealer Delivery Fee for Ford Focus 1.8 CL 4 Door: $1,350.00
Other States are between those two figures.

Wave the Sails Jan 17th 2005 9:49 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Here are some New car prices from the newspaper this weekend

Ford Fiesta LX $13,990.00 + $1,595+$95+??
Ford Focus CL $18,990.00 D/A
Ford Falcon BA $29,888.00 + $1,595+$95+??
Ford Escape 4WD 2.3 XLT $29,990.00 D/A

Suzuki Swift $15,990.00 + $1,745+$95+??
Suzuki Liana $16,488.00 + $1,745+$95+??
Suzuki Grand Vitara $31,388.00 + $1,745+$95+??

Mitsubishi Lancer Sedan $21,490.00 D/A
Mitsubishi Magna AWD $27,990.00 + $1,745+$95+??
Mitsubishi Pajero GLX $41,488.00 + $1,745+$95+??

Some are driveaway prices, marked D/A
The $1,595 & $1,745 are dealer delivery charges.

Hope that gives you some ideas, but yes, specs vary :)

also look at http://www.discountnewcars.com.au/
eg: Ford Focus 1.8CLK 4 door.
Rec.Ret Price: $22,660
Discount: $4,600
Net Price: $18,060
Plus: Dealer Delivery and State Government Charges

Dealer delivery charges vary by State:
eg: for the Ford Focus mentioned:
New South Wales - Dealer Delivery Fee for Ford Focus 1.8 CL 4 Door: $1,695.00
South Australia - Dealer Delivery Fee for Ford Focus 1.8 CL 4 Door: $1,350.00
Other States are between those two figures.

Yes thanks very much. The discount cars website has been our 'bible' so far.

Mazda seems pretty good so I think we will go for the Mazda 6 Wagon.

Are most cars automatic?

worzel Jan 17th 2005 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by bondipom

The missus and I have had Peugeots, VW's, Rovers (anyone can make a mistake), Vauxhalls (GM / Holden) etc but my current Ford Focus is the best car we have ever had by an absolute mile. There are nearly twice as many Focus' (Foci?) sold in the UK as any other car and there must be a reason for that. In the UK Ford used to have a bad reputation but not anymore.

OzTennis Jan 17th 2005 2:19 pm

My experience is that Asian cars (Japanese and Korean) are cheaper in Australia than the UK and if you take your £'s converted into $'s they'll go a fair bit further in Oz. I've compared Hondas, Toyotas (when will they sell Realotas?), Mazdas, Hyundai, Suzuki, Kia etc. You can get a better car for under $20K than you can get for under £8K in UK. Dealers in Australia are more likely to knock something off the price if you haggle and try to get extras thrown in. Look for 'run-outs' (new model coming in, trying to get rid of the model it's replacing) and things like 'free air' (not air in your tyres but conditioning).

Obviously if you have been there a while and using your (supposedly) lower Aussie income cars might seem more expensive relative speaking.

European cars are definitely more expensive in Australia than the UK - higher tariff than Asian cars or higher mark-up or whatever I'm not sure.

Toyota is now the number one seller in Australia for a reason. I'm looking forward to using my £'s to get the latest Lexus or top end Toyota or Honda.

OzTennis :)