Reload this Page >

New car buying guides???

New car buying guides???

Old Aug 17th 2007, 1:08 am
Forum Regular

kflee0 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile New car buying guides???

Dear members,

I and my wife are thinking of buying a new car by cash in Sydney. Can someone kindly provide some guidelines / tips of things that need to be watched out when dealing with car dealers in OZ. Below are some questions I have,

1. Does the car price tag already include sales tax?

2. Is it possible to get a price for a new car a little below to what shows on redbook.com

3. We are most probably go by Honda Civic, about $24,000. How much extra does it cost to register the car at Motor Registry?

4. The car price tag excludes delivery cost, how much would that be in general? How likely can a buyer get away from delivery cost when buying a new car at dealers?

5. Anybody know of a honest/ good price Honda dealer in Sydney area?

Thanks
Michael
Old Aug 17th 2007, 1:23 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New car buying guides???

Originally Posted by kflee0
Dear members,

I and my wife are thinking of buying a new car by cash in Sydney. Can someone kindly provide some guidelines / tips of things that need to be watched out when dealing with car dealers in OZ. Below are some questions I have,

2. Is it possible to get a price for a new car a little below to what shows on redbook.com

3. We are most probably go by Honda Civic, about $24,000. How much extra does it cost to register the car at Motor Registry?

4. The car price tag excludes delivery cost, how much would that be in general? How likely can a buyer get away from delivery cost when buying a new car at dealers?

Thanks
Michael
Hi Michael,
Just ask for the On the Road price which should include any fees and taxes etc. Once you have this price you then say it is a CASH deal and how much will they give u off it. Then travel round and weigh one garage up against another and do a bit of bartering
Old Aug 17th 2007, 2:28 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

One word of advice - haggle, haggle and be prepared to pay everyone off against each other. Just bought a Yaris for the MIL and got $4k off list price...

Its not similar the UK. Be a bastard and think like you were batering in an arab market somewhere.

Personally I hate it, but there you go...
Old Aug 17th 2007, 4:27 am
Forum Regular

Red face Re: New car buying guides???

Hi Michael,
Just ask for the On the Road price which should include any fees and taxes etc. Once you have this price you then say it is a CASH deal and how much will they give u off it. Then travel round and weigh one garage up against another and do a bit of bartering
I got the quote back from the dealer, it's $26,908 on the road price, drive away. The redbook shows $23,840 with metalic paint GST inclusive. Are they being honest or what?
Old Aug 17th 2007, 4:41 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

I got the quote back from the dealer, it's $26,908 on the road price, drive away. The redbook shows $23,840 with metalic paint GST inclusive. Are they being honest or what?
tell them you want a cash price.............get other quotes too then you can use the quotes to get a better price
Old Aug 17th 2007, 4:47 am
Forum Regular

Cool Re: New car buying guides???

tell them you want a cash price.............get other quotes too then you can use the quotes to get a better price
I guess what I like to find out is how much extra I need to pay on top of the redbook price to get the car on the road, can anyone tell me where to get this info? Then, I can use this as a bottom price to bargain with them.

Thanks
Old Aug 17th 2007, 4:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I guess what I like to find out is how much extra I need to pay on top of the redbook price to get the car on the road, can anyone tell me where to get this info? Then, I can use this as a bottom price to bargain with them.

Thanks

Registration fees: http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registrati...ees/index.html

Stamp Duty: http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registrati...stampduty.html

Then there's CTP insurance - not sure where you'll get info for that though.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 6:08 am
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Centurion
One word of advice - haggle, haggle and be prepared to pay everyone off against each other. Just bought a Yaris for the MIL and got $4k off list price...

Its not similar the UK. Be a bastard and think like you were batering in an arab market somewhere.

Personally I hate it, but there you go...
Get used to this fast this is what you have to do with all large items. TV's, Fridge Freezers etc. It can be slow. Pick your model then get each shop to beat it. They expect you to ask. Sometimes they cut the crap and drop it to just over cost. Our local Harvey Norman lady just does this automatically to limit the number of calls I have to make knowing I am going to do it anyway. Perhaps say to them. Look I am going to shop around. Give me your best price might save one phone call or visit.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 6:44 am
BE Enthusiast

auspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud of

I bought a new car a couple of years ago, and haggled with the dealer, I knew I had got a good price when he had to ring his manager to see if he was allowed to sell it to me at that price because 'apparently' it was below cost

I wasnt particularly fussed by that particular car and was prepared to shop around, so maybe that came across.

I am a member of Union Shopper which is Australia wide, I rang them , they will try to beat any price you give them, and they got back to me and said that they could only match the price, but their dealer was in Brisbane whereas I bought my car from a local dealer on the Gold Coast which was more handy for me. They recommended I buy from him.

BTW they are excellent when it comes to purchasing white goods, I have saved hundreds of dollars over the years going through them
Old Aug 17th 2007, 10:32 am
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

Haggle and be prepared to walk away, we saved $7000+ off our Audi from Gold Coast Audi.
If anyone wants one go and see Nathan the manager
Old Aug 17th 2007, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Dear members,

Thanks
Michael
you could also check out www.discountnewcars.com. I got a quote for my Toyota Yaris from them, one which i would have been more than happy to pay, as they took about 2 grand of the RRP, (on the road drive away), but i took their quote to my toyota dealer and they beat it and included loads of extras.
Old Aug 18th 2007, 1:55 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PoppetUK
Get used to this fast this is what you have to do with all large items. TV's, Fridge Freezers etc. It can be slow. Pick your model then get each shop to beat it. They expect you to ask. Sometimes they cut the crap and drop it to just over cost. Our local Harvey Norman lady just does this automatically to limit the number of calls I have to make knowing I am going to do it anyway. Perhaps say to them. Look I am going to shop around. Give me your best price might save one phone call or visit.
We've been here for a couple of years now and I couldnt agree more. Nowadays when I want anything electrical I find an internet ridiculously low price and print it off, walk into Harvey Norman/any other electrical place and say beat that or I'm buying it from there. They always match it but saves me waiting a couple of weeks for delivery.

Actually, truth be known I've downloaded an internet price and then actually saved the page and edited to reduce it further before printing it off more than once and they still do it.

Its such a ridiculous process to have to go through but saved thousands I guess. I just am now mentally scarred by the whole thing and now hate buying anything from any electrical shop.
Old Aug 18th 2007, 5:15 am
BE Enthusiast

SKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud of

reply auspal - Do u really think that they were selling the car at below cost price?? bet u he didn't even ring the manager, but just pretended to. One of the oldest tricks out of the book for a salesman.
I used to work in sales at an electrical shop, and we were very direct sale people, had weeks and weeks of off site training. This is the kind of stuff u learn. and here are some others.

1. They will round the price to some stupid number like $103.68 and say that this is the lowest number. Looks true, but u can get it for at least $5 to $10 cheaper off them. just lay the cash on the till and say take it or leave it.
Never accept stupid looking prices
2.Be prepared to walk away and not come back, even if u pay $5 more somewhere else, saves face and next time u know how far u can go
3.Always get more than 20% off the showroom model
4.Always look for the new guy, the one that starts sweating when talking about prices, as he's desperate for a sale
5. Tell that somewhere else has it for alot cheaper, but don't over exagerate, and don't tell him any names of the store, if u do use one from a different town, and dont' use the big guns. as ussually they have contacts there and would not hesitate to call them for there price
6. Before you go shopping write down on a blank piece of paper the price you want to pay for the thing, and when speaking to the sales man, show him the price and tell him that you got this from the neighbour as a one off price only valid for today.

Hope some of these tips help you in the future to save lots and lots of $$$$$

ALWAYS TRY TO CON A CONMAN, AND THERE THE ONES SELLING YOU STUFF!
Old Aug 18th 2007, 6:09 am
Forum Regular

BullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by biggy
Hi Michael,
Just ask for the On the Road price which should include any fees and taxes etc. Once you have this price you then say it is a CASH deal and how much will they give u off it.
G'day

I think this is very poor advice. Most car companies make far more money on the credit than they do on the sale of a car.

Most salesman are very happy to drop the price, knowing that they can get the "profit" back and much more by adding another 1% or so onto the finance rate. Most people haggle on the price and then blindly accept the credit terms. Most salesman know they can give with one hand then take back with the other.

I never tell salepeople I'm paying cash until we've finished all the price negotiating, indeed I'm quite happy to let them think that I'll buy on credit and only when going for the paperwork will I say I've decided to pay cash. I've regularly had saleman try to back away from the agreed price once the cash comes out.

It's not just in car yards either, shops like Hardly Normals make more money from the sale of credit than they do from the sale of furniture, computers, cameras, etc... 18 Months free credit, yeah right. There goes another flying pig.

I am a finance broker, what I'm saying here is not just an *opinion*.
Old Aug 18th 2007, 8:49 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SKIPPI79
reply auspal - Do u really think that they were selling the car at below cost price?? bet u he didn't even ring the manager, but just pretended to. One of the oldest tricks out of the book for a salesman.
I used to work in sales at an electrical shop, and we were very direct sale people, had weeks and weeks of off site training. This is the kind of stuff u learn. and here are some others.

1. They will round the price to some stupid number like $103.68 and say that this is the lowest number. Looks true, but u can get it for at least $5 to $10 cheaper off them. just lay the cash on the till and say take it or leave it.
Never accept stupid looking prices
2.Be prepared to walk away and not come back, even if u pay $5 more somewhere else, saves face and next time u know how far u can go
3.Always get more than 20% off the showroom model
4.Always look for the new guy, the one that starts sweating when talking about prices, as he's desperate for a sale
5. Tell that somewhere else has it for alot cheaper, but don't over exagerate, and don't tell him any names of the store, if u do use one from a different town, and dont' use the big guns. as ussually they have contacts there and would not hesitate to call them for there price
6. Before you go shopping write down on a blank piece of paper the price you want to pay for the thing, and when speaking to the sales man, show him the price and tell him that you got this from the neighbour as a one off price only valid for today.

Hope some of these tips help you in the future to save lots and lots of $$$$$

ALWAYS TRY TO CON A CONMAN, AND THERE THE ONES SELLING YOU STUFF!
Originally Posted by BullcreekBob
G'day

I think this is very poor advice. Most car companies make far more money on the credit than they do on the sale of a car.

Most salesman are very happy to drop the price, knowing that they can get the "profit" back and much more by adding another 1% or so onto the finance rate. Most people haggle on the price and then blindly accept the credit terms. Most salesman know they can give with one hand then take back with the other.

I never tell salepeople I'm paying cash until we've finished all the price negotiating, indeed I'm quite happy to let them think that I'll buy on credit and only when going for the paperwork will I say I've decided to pay cash. I've regularly had saleman try to back away from the agreed price once the cash comes out.

It's not just in car yards either, shops like Hardly Normals make more money from the sale of credit than they do from the sale of furniture, computers, cameras, etc... 18 Months free credit, yeah right. There goes another flying pig.

I am a finance broker, what I'm saying here is not just an *opinion*.
Both excellent advice. We tried the credit line changed to cash on a car in the UK. The salesman almost died trying to claw some money back but had to go by what he'd already put on paper.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.