New To Brisbane

Old Sep 27th 2008, 10:02 am
Just Joined

rego is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New To Brisbane

Just moved to Brisbane (near Indooroopilly) from Sydney.

Both of us are in our mid 50's.

Any suggestions as to what to do socially/how to meet new friends would be much appreciated.
Old Sep 27th 2008, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

mandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: New To Brisbane

Originally Posted by rego View Post

Any suggestions as to what to do socially/how to meet new friends would be much appreciated.
Hi, welcome to BE!!

Check out the meetups forum. . think I read something there bout a meet in Brissy?

Cheers,
Mandy
Old Sep 27th 2008, 12:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

JoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to all

Well, I know a lot of people like the Pig n Whistle in Indooroopilly Westfield shopping centre, though its a bit on the dear side....

South Bank is very popular - plenty to do there, and of course the Queen Street mall in Brisbane is quite lively. I quite like Fortitude valley, otherwise known as Chinatown, but only during the day. All these places are easy to access by the suburban rail system.

One public transport ticket takes you on buses, ferries, and trains, and inner city parking is horrendous, so a look around via public transport can be fun. South Brisbane has the museum and art gallery, always worth a visit.

Last edited by JoanL; Sep 27th 2008 at 12:27 pm.
Old Sep 27th 2008, 12:22 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you fish? Grayling is out that way somewhere he's a mad keen angler
Old Sep 28th 2008, 6:39 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your replies.

I've just started work so Monday to Thursday is out of the question. Also, yes we do go out in the evenings but it makes it all the more enjoyable if it's meeting people.

I'll try the meet ups but it would appear that all the people who attend seem to be significantly younger than us!

Chris
Old Sep 28th 2008, 6:40 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cresta57 View Post
Do you fish? Grayling is out that way somewhere he's a mad keen angler
Thanks, but no I don't fish.

Chris.
Old Sep 28th 2008, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Chris

I am not far from you in Kenmore though I'm not in the age group you're looking for!

What sort of things do you and your wife like to do? I would get googling and see if there are any dining clubs or dancing etc that might be of interest. I know there are a couple of choirs around there, not sure if that's the sort of thing you might be interested in?

There's often things on at Indro library too, like book clubs etc.

There are of course the cinemas and gyms around there too for things to do.

There seem to be a fair few Brits over this neck of the woods so it could be worth going to a meet up and see if you can find anyone that does.

Old Sep 28th 2008, 10:24 am
Prisoner of Her Majesty

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your replies.

I've just started work so Monday to Thursday is out of the question. Also, yes we do go out in the evenings but it makes it all the more enjoyable if it's meeting people.

I'll try the meet ups but it would appear that all the people who attend seem to be significantly younger than us!

Chris
If you can do the evenings for drinks in the CBD (Mondays/Tuesdays) then several of us are mid 40s.....does that help?! We also travel in from the suburbs and usually have to work the next day
Old Sep 28th 2008, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.meetup.com/cities/au/brisbane/groups/

Check out this link. It's all the meet ups in Brisbane. That includes the British Brisbane Club but also has dining clubs, renactment clubs, French clubs ... you name it!
Old Sep 29th 2008, 11:54 pm
Forum Regular

pata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant future

there is a social activities website http://www.getalife.com.au
Don,t know a lot about it but after a quick browse there seems to be a fair amount of things going on.
Range of age groups too.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 7:24 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rabsody View Post
http://www.meetup.com/cities/au/brisbane/groups/

Check out this link. It's all the meet ups in Brisbane. That includes the British Brisbane Club but also has dining clubs, renactment clubs, French clubs ... you name it!
Thanks. You've given me a lot of food for thought.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 7:27 am
Just Joined

Thanks everyone.

There is certainly no excuse not to get out there and get involved!!

Chris