British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   New Australian bank account (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/new-australian-bank-account-924691/)

SAMHINAL1 May 3rd 2019 4:46 pm

New Australian bank account

My mother has a British passport and has moved with me to Australia on a permanent resident Visa. Only proof of address is the one on the Visa letter. From any personal experience, which banks will be easy for her to open a current account for normal everyday use. She will not be working at the moment. Thank you

Dorothy May 3rd 2019 11:54 pm

Re: New Australian bank account

Originally Posted by SAMHINAL1 (Post 12678947)
My mother has a British passport and has moved with me to Australia on a permanent resident Visa. Only proof of address is the one on the Visa letter. From any personal experience, which banks will be easy for her to open a current account for normal everyday use. She will not be working at the moment. Thank you

Most of the big banks have migrant banking sections. Any of them will be able to help her set up an account.

benny the ball Jun 5th 2019 7:08 am

Commonwealth was easy when we had foreign exchange students. I believe you have to arrange it within a certain timeframe of arrival otherwise you have to go down the whole 100 points i.d.

mangotree Jun 19th 2019 1:59 am

Talk to ING in Britain before coming here. They have banks in both countries.
I was also able to open a Commonwealth account in London before we moved here using Uk ID.

mpjdodge Aug 16th 2019 6:49 am

Might be different if already in Australia but I bank with HSBC and was able to open up a banked account in Australia from the UK with a single form. They will also transfer my credit history out to OZ when I move.

astera Aug 16th 2019 10:46 am

I'd give HSBC or Citi a look, the latter looking especially interesting if you'll be travelling in the future. Their free, everyday account is called Citibank Plus and actually comes with one of the best debit cards in Australia as it charges 0% on foreign currency transactions abroad (same with overseas ATM withdrawals). So you basically get the official Mastercard rate each and every time with no additional bank charges.

HSBC will even charge it's top ("Premier") customers 2% on foreign spend (so MC rate plus an additional 2% added to the total). On top of that they convert currencies at a worse rate than Citi (though still a better rate than practically all other banks).

Both banks open accounts for residents and non-residents alike so you should be fine.