Wikiposts

New to Auckland

Old Mar 4th 2003, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

smithone is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New to Auckland

Hi there

I'm a new arrival in Auckland from London with my wife (both in our 30's no kids) and am keen to meet up with any other recent arrivals to share expereinces etc.

Anyone aware of a "New Brits Migrant Club" in Auckland?
Old Mar 4th 2003, 4:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

BritboyNZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome to NZ....hope you're enjoyin things so far...

Most poms on this board seem to live down in Christchurch (or are in the process of moving there)...I'm based in akl & have been here nearly 2.5yrs, originally from Staffordshire.

Don't know of any migrant clubs...but there's enough of us around so you should have no problem meeting fellow brits If all else fails try the Mad dogs and Englishmen pub on Albert St in the CBD...can be a bit rowdy whenever an English sports team are playing in a big match tho

Russ
Old Mar 5th 2003, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

evelynne_r is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya,

I've just arrived in Auckland myself. I'm single, and 31. If you would like to meet up, please PM me.

The large Borders bookshop in Aotea Centre organises quite a few free events. I've popped along to a couple and there seem to be lots of nice people at them.

Evelynne
Old Mar 6th 2003, 5:46 am
BE Enthusiast

sofistek is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New to Auckland

Originally posted by smithone
Hi there

I'm a new arrival in Auckland from London with my wife (both in our 30's no kids) and am keen to meet up with any other recent arrivals to share expereinces etc.

Anyone aware of a "New Brits Migrant Club" in Auckland?
I'm fairly sure that there is a group that meets (informally of course) about once a month in Auckland. I thought that there were posts about it on this forum but I can't find them. Maybe it was on another forum somewhere. Can anyone else enlighten us?
Old Mar 6th 2003, 5:49 am
BE Enthusiast

sofistek is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New to Auckland

Originally posted by sofistek
I'm fairly sure that there is a group that meets (informally of course) about once a month in Auckland. I thought that there were posts about it on this forum but I can't find them. Maybe it was on another forum somewhere. Can anyone else enlighten us?
It wasn't here. I came across a site that organised this sort of thing:

brit.meetup.com
Old Mar 6th 2003, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

Location: Kerikeri, Bay of Islands, NZ (was Broadstairs, Kent, UK)
Pippa is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi to you both and welcome,

We have been in NZ for nearly a whole month now!!

We stayed two days in Auckland before moving up to Kerikeri in the Bay of Islands so Nick could start is job.

We are also early 30's with no kids, I think we are meant to be called 'Dinky's: Double income, no kids yet !!!

Are you planning to settle in Auckland ??

Have you got jobs yet or are you touring around, what are your plans ??

Well good luck Im sure you'll ok.

If you are coming up to the Bay of Islands some time let me know.

Cheers

Pippa xx
Old Mar 6th 2003, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

smithone is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Pippa

We've been in Auckland for a few months now and have both secured jobs and we've also just bought a house so we are settling in well.

What made you move to the BAy of Islands?

Steve
Old Mar 6th 2003, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

Location: Kerikeri, Bay of Islands, NZ (was Broadstairs, Kent, UK)
Pippa is an unknown quantity at this point

Nicks a Structural Engineer and he managed to get offered a job with the regional office of Duffin, Watts and King an very large engineering firm in NZ and overseas.

He could have gone to the city but we thought we'd give this a try first. If it doesnt work out then we will move further south toward Auckland area.

So far things are going fine. He's at work trying to learn the differences to buildings engineering in the UK. Im trying to find a job but something will turn up. Weve bought a car and are renting a nice house here.

This will do us for the moment. As I say its only been a month and I think you need to settle down a bit before making big changes or decisions. Chill and settle in to the Kiwi philosophies of life.

Maybe we will stay her a while then we will probably know a bit more what and where we want to be. I dont think I would want to live and work right in Auckland reminds me of the hastles of working in UK cities too much and all the traffic smells....yuck.

Good luck with your new house, Im sure all will go really well. You sound like you are settleing in well. Enjoy it.

See you.

Pippa xx
Old Apr 11th 2003, 5:56 pm
Just Joined

Ken Waller is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: New to Auckland

Hi there!

I realise this thread is a little old now, but welcome to Auckland all the same!

My wife and I are in the same age group and also without kids.

We've been in NZ (Auckland) since August 2002, and both have jobs, but a fairly quiet social life outside of work.

I'm not aware of a migrant meeting point, but you can be assured that there are lots of us Poms out here - you'll meet with them everywhere!

If you'd like to get in touch, we'd love to meet up and share some of the knowledge of this wonderful country that we've accrued in the last 9 months, and maybe give you a few pointers.

Ken & Vicky