Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

New Arrivals Sydney

New Arrivals Sydney

Old Apr 23rd 2008, 3:04 am
Just Joined

Maroubra is an unknown quantity at this point
Post New Arrivals Sydney

We have recently arrived on a Parent Visa and although we have our daughter and Grandchildren here we would like to meet other expats in similar situation. Is there anyone out there? We live in the Eastern Suburbs but have car. Jill and Alan
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 3:29 am
22B
BE Enthusiast

22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future
Default Re: New Arrivals Sydney

Hi Jill and Alan,

There is a meet on the first Tuesday of each month, at 10:30 for coffee and it usually runs into lunch - look for a "Sydney FTC" post for May coming soon, which will tell you this month's location.

The group tends to be ladies with school-age children, but you will both be very welcome. More often than not we meet somewhere on the North Shore, but with your car it will be a good chance to explore!

Hope to see you on 6th May

- 22B
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

koala12 will become famous soon enoughkoala12 will become famous soon enough
Default New Arrivals Sydney

Hi Jill/Alan
I've been here 19 months now and am in Eastern Suburbs too.....how long have you been here and are you settling down ok?
Would be great to hear from you......
Karen
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud of

Hi and welcome
Check out The Sydney Newcomers Club Inc.
www.sydneynewcomers.com.au
This also a good way to get to know other new people not just Brits but people from all over who are new to Sydney.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 3:02 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by koala12
Hi Jill/Alan
I've been here 19 months now and am in Eastern Suburbs too.....how long have you been here and are you settling down ok?
Would be great to hear from you......
Karen
Hi Karen,

Thanks for responding. We have been here since Feb although have spent many long holidays here in the past. Would love to meet up if you would like to also. perhaps you can suggest a time and place.
Jill
Old Apr 24th 2008, 3:04 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Wilgar
Hi and welcome
Check out The Sydney Newcomers Club Inc.
www.sydneynewcomers.com.au
This also a good way to get to know other new people not just Brits but people from all over who are new to Sydney.
Thank you for your welcome. Will certainly try the web site.

Thanks Jill and Alan
Old Apr 24th 2008, 3:08 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by 22B
Hi Jill and Alan,

There is a meet on the first Tuesday of each month, at 10:30 for coffee and it usually runs into lunch - look for a "Sydney FTC" post for May coming soon, which will tell you this month's location.

The group tends to be ladies with school-age children, but you will both be very welcome. More often than not we meet somewhere on the North Shore, but with your car it will be a good chance to explore!

Hope to see you on 6th May

- 22B
Thanks for the invite. Not sure we can make that date but will try.

Jill and Alan
Old Apr 24th 2008, 3:11 am
22B
BE Enthusiast

22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Maroubra
We have recently arrived on a Parent Visa
To save me a long drawn out phone call to DIMIA - I guess you would know - can you give me a rough idea of the criteria for a Parent Visa? What does it entitle you to?

[It would be for my Dad and his missus - they aren't married but are in a de facto relationship.
My husband and son are Aus citizens; I have Permanent Residency and would hope to take up citizenship this time next year.]

Thanks
Old Apr 24th 2008, 3:45 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by 22B
To save me a long drawn out phone call to DIMIA - I guess you would know - can you give me a rough idea of the criteria for a Parent Visa? What does it entitle you to?

[It would be for my Dad and his missus - they aren't married but are in a de facto relationship.
My husband and son are Aus citizens; I have Permanent Residency and would hope to take up citizenship this time next year.]

Thanks
There are 2 types of Parent visa. One has a waiting list of about 12 years and the other is called Contributory Parent Visa. You have to have 50% of your immediate family living here ie. If there are 2 children of the parent and one lives here that's 50%. 1 of 3 children is not accepted. The parent also has to pay about $29,000 (times 2 if 2 parents) to the Government, non refundable, they also hold a bond of about $7,000 each for 10 years but it all takes about 1 year and you get permanent residency immediately. Hope this helps, let me know if you want more info.

Jill