Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

new arrivals to Adelaide-info please !!!!!!

new arrivals to Adelaide-info please !!!!!!

Old May 9th 2009, 12:38 am
BE Enthusiast

jollyswagman has a spectacular aura aboutjollyswagman has a spectacular aura aboutjollyswagman has a spectacular aura about
Default new arrivals to Adelaide-info please !!!!!!

Hi there due to late job offer i have just relocated myslef and my family down from qld(only there 1 week !!!)to Adeliade, (been here 3 days!!!)we have been lucky to secure a short term fully furnished rental in angle park but its only for 10-11 weeks ,we have no idea about the adelaide area as we have spent the last 18months researching brissie area so dont really know anything about anything down here,we have also bought a car yesterday but dont know how/wheres best to get insured ,its all the little things ,so cmon guys sell me your suburb ,your internet provider,car insurer etc i need to know it all , we are a very outgoing family of 4 girl 6 and boy 11 but just need a bit of a steer in the right direction especially with suburbs as there is so much choice ,my job doesnt start till the 18th may so i only have this week to help the missus out with it all and i think she is starting to panic ,so if its advice on offer or chance of a meetup then its all welcome and would be very much appreciated by these 4 3day old adeladians(?),thx for looking and have a good weekend whatever you are upto,cheers swagman
Old May 9th 2009, 12:50 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: new arrivals to Adelaide-info please !!!!!!

Where is your job going to be. That will make a huge difference in where you live.

Car insurance: I went with Allianz for mine. It's inexpensive and I did the entire application online.
Suburb: This one is really subjective. It depends entirely on what you want...Beach, hills, north, south, new, old, close to transit, quiet, etc. When we lived in Adelaide we lived in Klemzig which is a small suburb off Northeast Rd close to the city. It was right on the O-Bahn, so convenient to public transit but also directly under the main flight path for the airport, so very noisy! In terms of flying time it was less than 5 minutes from our house to the airport, so you can imagine how low the planes were.
Most things like internet providers are the same all over the country, so you could go with Bigpoo or we've signed up with iinet.
Old May 9th 2009, 1:02 am
BE Enthusiast

jollyswagman has a spectacular aura aboutjollyswagman has a spectacular aura aboutjollyswagman has a spectacular aura about

Hi there dorothy thx for the replies sorry if i have been a bit vague with details ,my work hq is central city but i will be mainly out on construction sites all over adeliade(within 30km of gpo apparently)as for suburb we will have a car each so public transport isnt that much of an issue ,we would have liked to have been close to a beach but also want something with a family feel,good school and good access to shops and things to do (sound like utopia ?)rental budget isnt an issue for the right place was looking to spend around $350 a week but could stretch to
450-500 for the right place,hope this is a littlel more informative,thx swagman
Old May 9th 2009, 1:09 am
locked in the attic

rosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jollyswagman
Hi there dorothy thx for the replies sorry if i have been a bit vague with details ,my work hq is central city but i will be mainly out on construction sites all over adeliade(within 30km of gpo apparently)as for suburb we will have a car each so public transport isnt that much of an issue ,we would have liked to have been close to a beach but also want something with a family feel,good school and good access to shops and things to do (sound like utopia ?)rental budget isnt an issue for the right place was looking to spend around $350 a week but could stretch to
450-500 for the right place,hope this is a littlel more informative,thx swagman
Have a look at the suburbs surrounding Glenelg, as a family of 5 we think it's a great place to live.
Old May 9th 2009, 1:10 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

There are some really nice suburbs south of the city close to the beaches. Sorry, we moved over to Perth 2 years ago, so I'm not able to remember specific names. I do remember being told to steer clear of Christies Beach/Noralunga area and that the high school there was a shocker. I don't know how true that is since we lived north. I think if you take a drive down south you'll see it's very different to the northern suburbs.

Contact immigration SA. There is a tonne of free info they can give you.
Old May 9th 2009, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

Rideaway is a jewel in the roughRideaway is a jewel in the roughRideaway is a jewel in the roughRideaway is a jewel in the roughRideaway is a jewel in the rough

Places to avoid include Elizabeth and Salisbury.

I would suggest searching on www.realestate.com.au, www.domain.com.au or www.homehound.com.au for rentals.

Car/Household insurance - AAMI. Be careful though as Accidental Damage cover on contents is limited unlike the UK.
Broadband - I use 3G mobile.

Last edited by Rideaway; May 9th 2009 at 6:53 am. Reason: Additional info
Old May 9th 2009, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

simsy is just really nicesimsy is just really nicesimsy is just really nicesimsy is just really nicesimsy is just really nicesimsy is just really nicesimsy is just really nicesimsy is just really nicesimsy is just really nice

Hi there

we were in adelaide for 2.5 years but moved up to brisbane just over a year ago for work reasons. We love adelaide and will eventually try to move back there, prefer it over brisbane any day.

we lived in flagstaff hill which has a good family feel, schools are ok plenty of choice as there are a couple of primary schools in the area and 2 high schools - my kids were very happy in the schools there. seacliff beach was under 10 minutes away and the westfield (marion) shopping centre was 5 minutes away. I used to drive into the city everyday for work and it would take be 25 mins, a bit longer to get home.

if you want any other info just ask only too happy to talk about adelaide.

good luck
nicola
Old May 9th 2009, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

simsy is just really nicesimsy is just really nicesimsy is just really nicesimsy is just really nicesimsy is just really nicesimsy is just really nicesimsy is just really nicesimsy is just really nicesimsy is just really nice

forgot to say

have you visited the websites pomsinadelaide and adelaide-brits - you will get a lot of information from them.

Nicola
Old May 9th 2009, 2:02 pm
Just Joined

puff the dragon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by simsy
Hi there

we were in adelaide for 2.5 years but moved up to brisbane just over a year ago for work reasons. We love adelaide and will eventually try to move back there, prefer it over brisbane any day.

we lived in flagstaff hill which has a good family feel, schools are ok plenty of choice as there are a couple of primary schools in the area and 2 high schools - my kids were very happy in the schools there. seacliff beach was under 10 minutes away and the westfield (marion) shopping centre was 5 minutes away. I used to drive into the city everyday for work and it would take be 25 mins, a bit longer to get home.

if you want any other info just ask only too happy to talk about adelaide.

good luck
nicola
I live in flagstaff hill and afraid that I cant recommend the area.Lots of grafitti at the moment and very boring.some really 70s style older housing too
My husband works in the city and most days it takes around an hour to get to work from here.Standing traffic all down south road
Old May 9th 2009, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

steve_and_gill will become famous soon enoughsteve_and_gill will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jollyswagman
Hi there due to late job offer i have just relocated myslef and my family down from qld(only there 1 week !!!)to Adeliade, (been here 3 days!!!)we have been lucky to secure a short term fully furnished rental in angle park but its only for 10-11 weeks ,we have no idea about the adelaide area as we have spent the last 18months researching brissie area so dont really know anything about anything down here,we have also bought a car yesterday but dont know how/wheres best to get insured ,its all the little things ,so cmon guys sell me your suburb ,your internet provider,car insurer etc i need to know it all , we are a very outgoing family of 4 girl 6 and boy 11 but just need a bit of a steer in the right direction especially with suburbs as there is so much choice ,my job doesnt start till the 18th may so i only have this week to help the missus out with it all and i think she is starting to panic ,so if its advice on offer or chance of a meetup then its all welcome and would be very much appreciated by these 4 3day old adeladians(?),thx for looking and have a good weekend whatever you are upto,cheers swagman
From our six months of experience - most places in Adelaide are nice. There are a few obvious areas to avoid, but even those are not that bad if you are thinking UK bad areas.

If you want the beach, then Brighton, Glenelg are very nice, Semaphore and up that way are still nice beaches, but the areas around them don't do it for us (but we really did like south Brighton where we stayed on arrival, and not so much west beach were moved to for a few weeks afterwards).

I think it's quite hard to judge good and bad areas here, houses are all generally large and expansive looking from the outside, everyones gardens over summer look rubbish.

Everyone is looking for different things - but the one thing I feel confident about saying is that commute times should not be underestimated. We are up in Greenwith and to get to Melbourne St takes about 40mins each morning and evening. I do leave around 0830-0900 and then come back around 1800, but it is still busy.
This is a big factor for us, and I can't imagine putting up with a 1hr drive from somewhere, I've wasted loads of my time doing that back in the UK!

If you want a friendly face and a look around some of the areas around here - give us a PM. We are looking at doing a 6 months in Oz thing in the next couple of weeks and might have a barbie at the house.
Old May 16th 2009, 3:13 pm
A Returning Member!!

Sham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to behold

We are from Greenwith to, and have to say the Golden Grove/Greenwith area is ideal for commuting into the City with the Oban here and also for young families, so much on offer here!! Deffo worth a peep at!!
Old May 16th 2009, 8:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really nice

Originally Posted by n_n_d
Places to avoid include Elizabeth and Salisbury.

I would suggest searching on www.realestate.com.au, www.domain.com.au or www.homehound.com.au for rentals.

Car/Household insurance - AAMI. Be careful though as Accidental Damage cover on contents is limited unlike the UK.
Broadband - I use 3G mobile.
Hey, how's it going?

Are you on contract with your mobile broadband or do they do PAYG? Want to get online as soon as I arrive....June

Twinset
Old May 16th 2009, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

Rideaway is a jewel in the roughRideaway is a jewel in the roughRideaway is a jewel in the roughRideaway is a jewel in the roughRideaway is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Twinset
Hey, how's it going?

Are you on contract with your mobile broadband or do they do PAYG? Want to get online as soon as I arrive....June

Twinset
Hi, we bought the the dongle for $149 (from Three) and then paid $29 for 3gb per month which is enough for our requirements. I would suggest going to All Phones who have numerous locations (see www.allphones.com.au) as you can compare most companies.

I will send you a PM with our progress.