Reload this Page >

new arrival in Perth.

new arrival in Perth.

Old Jan 19th 2005, 1:16 am
Just Joined

astone is an unknown quantity at this point
Default new arrival in Perth.

Hello everyone,
Well its been 4 months since we left the uk for Sydney and excited about our new life. First impressions of Sydney Very busy and Expensive. Loved the centre, but it was not the dream, husbands job fell through as soon as we arrived so nothing holding us in Sydney. Very confused those first few days not knowing anyone and being so homesick. I telephoned a friend in Perth who invited us over, before deciding whether we went back to the UK or not. My eldest son and I went for a week and then back to Sydney to tell the rest of the family we were going to give Perth ago, because it was more of what we imagined in our dreamof Australia.We re routed furniture and dog to Perth. Had loads of trouble renting with a dog but eventually found one in Kallaroo.
I dont want to go on because you are probably all bored now, but just summarise our first few months. My biggest disappointment is the schools unless you are religious or rich and can afford private, the state schools are not that great in our area anyway( I am probably leaving myself wide open for people to disagree with me) I am still in the early stages so am terribly homesick which has taken me by surprise, and miss friends and familymore than I ever thought possible.The out door lifestyle is wonderful the beach heavenly but miss people to share it with.
We spent nearly 2 years getting our visa and planning and was absolutely sure it was the right thing to move to Aus, all I can say to people who are waiting in the Uk is, if it is your dream follow it, but be prepared for feelings that come along unexpectedly and think very ,very, carefully about what you are leaving behind.
Astone
Old Jan 19th 2005, 2:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: new arrival in Perth.

Hi Astone
I went through a lot of the emotional crap a couple of months ago. It can really get you down being somewhere new and not knowing anyone or even the basic things to get you through. I would definately recommend hooking up with some people from Expats. One Thursday I turned up at the Perth Ladies coffee morning and will never forget being confused, upset and a bit of a mess. It was great to talk about the stuff that was getting me down and find out that I wasn't the only one... since then I've got to know the girls and am much more myself and don't get dragged down by the bad experiences etc. that life throws at you. You also get to have a laugh and find out ways to do things or places to go.
Regarding schools - I have to agree with you, especially since I am a teacher myself and can compare the 2 systems pretty well. You mentioned religious schools and I was wondering if you were "put off" by the fact that they are religious or whether you felt you had to be religious to get in. Most religious schools have a policy of letting in a percentage of non-faith children, although you will find long wait lists for the good ones. This might not be an issue with your older kids but might be worth it for the longer ones?
Take care and all the best
Larissa
Old Jan 19th 2005, 3:04 am
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by astone
Hello everyone,
Well its been 4 months since we left the uk for Sydney and excited about our new life. First impressions of Sydney Very busy and Expensive. Loved the centre, but it was not the dream, husbands job fell through as soon as we arrived so nothing holding us in Sydney. Very confused those first few days not knowing anyone and being so homesick. I telephoned a friend in Perth who invited us over, before deciding whether we went back to the UK or not. My eldest son and I went for a week and then back to Sydney to tell the rest of the family we were going to give Perth ago, because it was more of what we imagined in our dreamof Australia.We re routed furniture and dog to Perth. Had loads of trouble renting with a dog but eventually found one in Kallaroo.
I dont want to go on because you are probably all bored now, but just summarise our first few months. My biggest disappointment is the schools unless you are religious or rich and can afford private, the state schools are not that great in our area anyway( I am probably leaving myself wide open for people to disagree with me) I am still in the early stages so am terribly homesick which has taken me by surprise, and miss friends and familymore than I ever thought possible.The out door lifestyle is wonderful the beach heavenly but miss people to share it with.
We spent nearly 2 years getting our visa and planning and was absolutely sure it was the right thing to move to Aus, all I can say to people who are waiting in the Uk is, if it is your dream follow it, but be prepared for feelings that come along unexpectedly and think very ,very, carefully about what you are leaving behind.
Astone
Ditto, we have been here since end of October, and yes living the dream has it's downside off leaving friends & family, I don't think either of us thought that we would have such bad & sad days, missing the regular contact & support that close friends & family provide, we new it would be hard starting over but not this hard!

The lifestyle is fantastic and Australia has heaps to offer, but as you said people to share it with would make it so much better. We are hoping that in time these feelings will slowly subside and be replaced with happier more settled feelings and that we will build a new circle of friends to enjoy the Australian lifestyle with.

I shall give the coffe group a try once my eldest is back at school, and hopefully get something good out of it. By the way where & when is coffee held?

Helen
Old Jan 19th 2005, 3:14 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

My biggest disappointment is the schools unless you are religious or rich and can afford private, the state schools are not that great in our area anyway
I agree with you on this one. It's as if they don't care about educting primary aged schoolkids. I'm appaled at the standards in the primary schools here.

After a while you will find out which suburbs have the better schools. Rossmoyne wins hands down as far as government schools go.
Old Jan 19th 2005, 3:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jacko1

I shall give the coffe group a try once my eldest is back at school, and hopefully get something good out of it. By the way where & when is coffee held?

Helen
Hi Helen
It's at a different home each week; when you want to come pm one of the Perth ladies and we'll let you know.
Take care
Larissa
Old Jan 19th 2005, 3:53 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Larissa
Hi Helen
It's at a different home each week; when you want to come pm one of the Perth ladies and we'll let you know.
Take care
Larissa
hi larissa,
is there any chance I come come along for a coffee morning as well, i feel cheeky for inviting myself but Ive got to do something or go mad.The kids are back to school the week after next so that would be a good time.
Many thanks
astone
Old Jan 19th 2005, 3:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough

Hi there

Come along to coffee tomorrow and have a laugh, its at Siren's, we don't want anyone to be miserable, pm me for details if you are free from 12pm onwards, children welcome as school hols

Teresa
Old Jan 19th 2005, 5:39 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swifts
Hi there

Come along to coffee tomorrow and have a laugh, its at Siren's, we don't want anyone to be miserable, pm me for details if you are free from 12pm onwards, children welcome as school hols

Teresa

Please do! As Teresa said, kiddos welcome (I have 4 here already - and a pool so bring their bathers)
Very casual here, just a chat and a giggle and an occasional piss and moan...LOL We've all been there.

Siren
Old Jan 19th 2005, 7:52 am
Just Joined

Kingpin is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Helen
Take care
Larissa
just thought is there a mens beer night for the ones that would like to meet up with members from this site and have a chat when they miss home know it might sound a bit wimpish for us men to miss home and family but im sure we do lol
Old Jan 19th 2005, 8:21 am
A Bored of waiting member

stephenwhite68 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Jacko1
Ditto, we have been here since end of October, and yes living the dream has it's downside off leaving friends & family, I don't think either of us thought that we would have such bad & sad days, missing the regular contact & support that close friends & family provide, we new it would be hard starting over but not this hard!

Helen
Hi guy's
Can i ask you lot a question ?
you all seem to mention missing friends and family, can i ask?
did you have a close circle of friends and family that u saw reguarly in the UK ?

hope you can help

S
Old Jan 19th 2005, 9:03 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kingpin
just thought is there a mens beer night for the ones that would like to meet up with members from this site and have a chat when they miss home know it might sound a bit wimpish for us men to miss home and family but im sure we do lol
I'm afraid that we've left the men to thier own devices. Mostly the men only meet at the big Perth meets.

The Perth Ladies Misters have already met one-another and therefore see each other at BBQ's and picnic's and the like but no organized beer meets yet. Some of the husbands take advantage of the coffee mornings and golf that day

Siren
Old Jan 19th 2005, 10:25 am
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough

Hi Helen
Take care
Larissa
Thanks very much, can't make tmrw maybe next week though

Helen
Old Jan 19th 2005, 4:41 pm
maddi

paul&lynn is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Astone,

We are arriving in Perth 9th April with our boxer dog. We have a house to rent whilst our dog is in quarantine but nothing after that. Any tips on finding somewhere decent to rent with a dog?
Old Jan 19th 2005, 4:47 pm

DIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone,
Astone
I feel pretty sad reading your post.......however its early dyas for you guys and i am sure it will become alot easier for you, one of my fears when we go is the missing of family and friends as we have a very close circle of both.
Hope it all works out for you and keep us posted.
Donna
Old Jan 19th 2005, 11:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by paul&lynn
Hi Astone,

We are arriving in Perth 9th April with our boxer dog. We have a house to rent whilst our dog is in quarantine but nothing after that. Any tips on finding somewhere decent to rent with a dog?
hi paul&lynn
renting with a dog is very difficult. We had to leave Merlin in kennels for an extra month while we looked for somewhere to rent. I suggest you register with as many realestate agent telling them your situation and keep looking onthe internet daily. We got ours because i looked everyday first thing and got this one before they had an open house.I thinkwe were pretty high risk anyway because we only wanted to rent for 6 months,a dog and 3 teenage sons, would you want to rent us a house???!!!!!!!
Where abouts is your house your renting initially? Have you been to Perth before? Sorry loads of questions just interested and if we can help out at all we are more than willing being new comers ourselves.
anyway ranted on enough
astone

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.