Reload this Page >

new arrival accomodation

new arrival accomodation

Old Sep 1st 2004, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

jaxowen will become famous soon enoughjaxowen will become famous soon enough
Question new arrival accomodation

I was just wondering - as you do-

do most people sort out rented accommodation (i.e. house) before arriving? are there any relocation type agents who can sort this for you?
would we be better just getting a holiday type let for a month and sorting something out ourselves when we get there?
what does everyone else do??

any advice much appreciated

thanks Jax
Old Sep 1st 2004, 9:06 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: new arrival accomodation

Originally Posted by jaxowen

do most people sort out rented accommodation (i.e. house) before arriving? are there any relocation type agents who can sort this for you?
would we be better just getting a holiday type let for a month and sorting something out ourselves when we get there?

thanks Jax
A lot of people find furnished accomodation for 2-3 weeks while they look for unfurnished. Some go for furnished for 3 months, as the price comes down a lot for that length of time.

eg: 2-3 weeks furnished may cost around $600pw, in our area, but you can get 3 months for about $300pw, depending on number of bedrooms etc.

Also consider your furniture. When will it arrive, or will you be buying new, or cheap stuff temporarily until yours arrives ?

What area are you looking at ? maybe some one on here can make suggestions for that area.

Old Sep 1st 2004, 9:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jax,

It's not easy getting a long term rental (6+ months) before you arrive - you'll have to decide on the area you'd like to rent before even seeing it. Also what you see on the internet or what people tell you may be very different from what you expect. I'd think renting a furnished apartment/house for 2-4 weeks is better. Another thing to consider is that long term rental places are normally not furnished - you'll need to either waiting for your shipment or buy furniture and appliances as soon as you arrive, or else you'll be sleeping on the floor. :scared:

Cheers,
Mrs JTL

thanks Jax
Old Sep 1st 2004, 9:50 am
owieb

thanks Jax
We just booked a (very) cheap holiday appartment for a week when we arrived. We found a place to rent within a day and moved in there a couple of days later.

Most people have an idea of where they would like to live ie suburb; before coming out; granted some don't, but it shouldn't take long to find somewhere if you know what you are looking for.

Really depends what your priorities are. Ours were to find somewhere to rent as quickly as possible. I personally couldn't see the point in wasting money by booking into somewhere temp for a month.

We didn't have any furniture coming out at the time, so just got an unfurnished place and rented things like a fridge, washing machine, tv etc. These items cost us (in total) about $60 a month and we could have them on a monthly basis, no need to agree to a minimum rental period. The property had a bed in it and that was about it. We bought an outside table and used that for eating at, and two beanbags to make the floor a bit more comfortable!

We eventually got our stuff shipped about 16 months later, once we had bought our own place and could afford to do it.

Last edited by owieb; Sep 1st 2004 at 9:52 am.

Old Sep 1st 2004, 9:55 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by owieb
We bought an outside table and used that for eating at,
Just thought I would highlight that point, as an outside table and chairs, used inside to begin with, can be later used for its original intended purpose, on the patio So it's not wasted. Unless of course you already have one being shipped

Old Sep 1st 2004, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

thanks Jax
Hi Jax

Where in OZ are you going to?

Dave
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 6:41 am
Anxiously awaiting March

vicky o will become famous soon enoughvicky o will become famous soon enough

Have you tried www.pomsinperth.com ?
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 7:00 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Just thought I would highlight that point, as an outside table and chairs, used inside to begin with, can be later used for its original intended purpose, on the patio So it's not wasted. Unless of course you already have one being shipped

We did that. $200 from K Mart for 5 piece (1 round table, 4 chairs). Later we actually bought wooden outdoor ans so continue to use the first lot in the kitchen. I think it looks quite laid back using decent outdoor furniture inside, well it does in QLD.
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

jaxowen will become famous soon enoughjaxowen will become famous soon enough

We are going to adelaide ... well somewhere/anywhere we like in south aus. any suggestions - quite fancy being by the sea.
Originally Posted by vicky o
Have you tried www.pomsinperth.com ?
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 8:38 am
ABCDiamond

We are going to adelaide ... well somewhere/anywhere we like in south aus. any suggestions - quite fancy being by the sea.
How about Adelaide Brits then

Old Sep 2nd 2004, 9:03 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
How about Adelaide Brits then
There's lots of posts about this on the Ad Brits site, see you over there?!
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 6:27 pm
Anxiously awaiting March

vicky o will become famous soon enoughvicky o will become famous soon enough

Sorry, hadn't had my cuppa this morning. Just assume everyone's going to Perth like me.