New to all this

Old Oct 2nd 2002, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink New to all this

Hi Everyone

Myself and partner and at the beginning of the immigration process.We have just recieved the skills assessment form,we are going to attempt all this immigration stuff without the help of an agent.Only time will tell if this is wise or not.

We are not sure yet where we want to settle Perth & Brisbane,Melbourne are all possibilities. However Adelaide is also in the picture as my partners skills are wanted there.

This is very exciting and i am enjoying all the researching into Australia. I do have one question, What are the Australians like to the Brits abroad,are they welcomed? oh and What are the schools like?as we have two children. Oh sorry that is more than one question.

Bye for now.

Footie Chick
Old Oct 2nd 2002, 11:38 am
shellypuss

Default Re: New to all this

Hiya Footie Chick,

I am new to this also, very informative though.

Con't answer your questions as me & hubby are being processed at the moment so are still in Blighty.

Just to say Welcome.

Shelly

Originally posted by footie chick:
Hi Everyone

Myself and partner and at the beginning of the immigration process.We have just recieved the skills assessment form,we are going to attempt all this immigration stuff without the help of an agent.Only time will tell if this is wise or not.

We are not sure yet where we want to settle Perth & Brisbane,Melbourne are all possibilities. However Adelaide is also in the picture as my partners skills are wanted there.

This is very exciting and i am enjoying all the researching into Australia. I do have one question, What are the Australians like to the Brits abroad,are they welcomed? oh and What are the schools like?as we have two children. Oh sorry that is more than one question.

Bye for now.

Footie Chick

Old Oct 2nd 2002, 12:06 pm
Just Joined

dark86 is an unknown quantity at this point

does anyone know what % of tax is payed on salaries in Oz?
(approx).

Also, i am a bit confused about "5 year" skilled visa:
what happens after the 5 years?
can u holiday abroad from Oz during these 5 years?
can u get a mortgage in Oz in these 5 years?
Old Oct 2nd 2002, 12:19 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dark86:
(approx).

http://www.ato.gov.au/

A bit of a search through this site can get you the rates and bands and a nice calculator for take home stuff if you want.

Simply, On successful PR we get a five year visa to do what we want, get mortgage, holiday, etc, after five year things get a little more restrictive when you leave the country you may have to apply for a residents return visa. There is another route during the five years you can apply for citizenship if you qualify, eg living for 2 of the five years in Austrailia. Now this is all a very simple explanation and you should go and do some more research for citzenship, but hope I might have pointed you in the right direction.

Message back to footie chick - go for it alone and ask for advice from this site if in doubt, but there are many good advisors out there, some of the great ones give advice on this site for free.

I am in Sydney so will let the others more experienced in the areas you are looking at to answer your other bits

Have fun - cheers
Old Oct 2nd 2002, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sandra

Thanks for your confidence.Sydney is an option as we are looking every so often where the work is. How long have you been in Australia? It is very scary and at least i can ask people here if i have any difficulties with the forms.

Take care

Tracie (footie chick)
Old Oct 2nd 2002, 1:05 pm

Debbie Jo has a spectacular aura aboutDebbie Jo has a spectacular aura aboutDebbie Jo has a spectacular aura about

Originally posted by dark86:
(approx).

Hi dark86
The tax system seems to be the same as in the uk.
taxable income
up to $(AU) 5,400 0%

$5,401-$20,700 20%

$20,701-$38,000 34%

$38,001-$59,000 42%

$59,000+ 47%

But from what i can gather everyone in OZ fills in their own self assesment forms.

As for your question on five year skilled visa, i asked my agent the same question and she told me that you can enter and leave OZ has many times as you like within that five years but after that you would have to get a resident return visa. She as advised us to take citazinship after 2 years to avoid this.But it doesn't mean that after five years you will be booted out.

Hope this helps

Debbie jo
Old Oct 2nd 2002, 1:16 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Debbie Jo:

Hi dark86
The tax system seems to be the same as in the uk.
taxable income
up to $(AU) 5,400 0%

$5,401-$20,700 20%

$20,701-$38,000 34%

$38,001-$59,000 42%

$59,000+ 47%

But from what i can gather everyone in OZ fills in their own self assesment forms.

As for your question on five year skilled visa, i asked my agent the same question and she told me that you can enter and leave OZ has many times as you like within that five years but after that you would have to get a resident return visa. She as advised us to take citazinship after 2 years to avoid this.But it doesn't mean that after five years you will be booted out.

Hope this helps

Debbie jo
Check out the website I posted - the information/rates are currently

These rates apply to individuals who:

are residents of Australia for tax purposes for the whole financial year
do not leave full-time education for the first time during the financial year.

Tax rates 2001-02 and 2002-03
Taxable income
Tax on this income

$0 - $6000
Nil

$6001 - $20 000
17c for each $1 over $6000

$20 001 - $50 000
$2380 plus 30c for each $1 over $20 000

$50 001 - $60 000
$11 380 plus 42c for each $1 over $50 000

Over $60 000
$15 580 plus 47c for each $1 over $60 000

The above rates do not include the Medicare levy of 1.5%.

Sorry pedantic payroll person here
You pay tax as you go - but self assess at the end of the year to balance any difference inter year changes might have made (eg starting work id year) and also possibly tax free/taxable claims from other income/outgoing expenses.

boy I am a payroll bore in my private and public life

cheers
Old Oct 2nd 2002, 1:31 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget that there might also be tax credits available to reduce your net tax liability.

There's info here, including free tax factsheets on request:
http://www.collettandco.com/aussie_individuals.html

Best regards.

Originally posted by Sandra:

Check out the website I posted - the information/rates are currently

These rates apply to individuals who:

are residents of Australia for tax purposes for the whole financial year
do not leave full-time education for the first time during the financial year.

Tax rates 2001-02 and 2002-03
Taxable income
Tax on this income

$0 - $6000
Nil

$6001 - $20 000
17c for each $1 over $6000

$20 001 - $50 000
$2380 plus 30c for each $1 over $20 000

$50 001 - $60 000
$11 380 plus 42c for each $1 over $50 000

Over $60 000
$15 580 plus 47c for each $1 over $60 000

The above rates do not include the Medicare levy of 1.5%.

Sorry pedantic payroll person here
You pay tax as you go - but self assess at the end of the year to balance any difference inter year changes might have made (eg starting work id year) and also possibly tax free/taxable claims from other income/outgoing expenses.

boy I am a payroll bore in my private and public life

cheers