Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

New Airline Manchester-Melbourne Starting Up

New Airline Manchester-Melbourne Starting Up

Old May 8th 2004, 9:50 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post New Airline Manchester-Melbourne Starting Up

Don't know how many of you would feel about spending a long time in a Jumbo Jet with loads of smelly students/backpackers and with karaoke on board.....

.....but a cheap Melbourne-based airline is going to offer flights from Manchester later in the year. There may be multiple stops en-route but a great opportunity if you want to spend a few days in India, Bangkok etc. on the journey over to Oz:

http://www.backpackersxpress.com

(Their delegation has just been to Manchester airport to tie up the deal).
Old May 8th 2004, 9:58 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Airline Manchester-Melbourne Starting Up

Originally posted by Englishmum
Don't know how many of you would feel about spending a long time in a Jumbo Jet with loads of smelly students/backpackers and with karaoke on board.....
OMG :scared:

I reckon all this on boad karaoke, drinking and flying pubs will inevitably lead to on board fighting.

Particularly if the plane is going to pick up a load of Germans on the way.

I'd even pick Roal Brunai over this mob.
Old May 8th 2004, 10:00 pm
The Outback Beast

fogmeister is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New Airline Manchester-Melbourne Starting Up

LMAO!!!!!!!Sounds like a right larfff mummy, gettin pissed at he bar and singin karaoke,a typical thursday night out
Old May 9th 2004, 1:07 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

550 GBP fully flexible return. Not sure on the inflexible prices. Sounds like 22 hours of hell to me.
Old May 9th 2004, 11:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

There are cheap flights and cheap flights. I have picked up tickets on the net with Gulf Air for 399 pounds, and the flight was great: Gulf looked after everyone, and you had everything you wanted, seat back tv screens, good food, free drinks

We once did Gatwick to Sydney with Airtours (also 399 pounds), and it was sheer hell.

First forboding of doom was when we taxied out at Gatwick and the announcement came "drinks wil be available for purchase". The announcement that we had to buy our headsets was just confirmation of the joys ahead.

The seats had maybe 2cm of padding on them (they appeared to be steel underneath the flimsy padding), and to make matters worse we were directly in front of a bulkhead, and couldnt recline our seats even a degree.

My wife finished up with bruises on both legs from trying to squeeze in and out of her seat, the legroom was miniscule (she is only 5ft 4 as well!).

The catering consisted of sandwiches, obviously bought secondhand as a job lot from British Rail and were as stale as anything.

Even the aisles were narrow, with no cut-through gangways, so walking about the cabin was impossible.

This was the only flight I have ever been on where everyone cheered when we finally touched down in Sydney.

If it wasnt for the fact our flight back was with Cathay and BA, we would have been living in Australia a year earlier as illegals!