Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

New AFL Advert - Welsh National Anthem!!

New AFL Advert - Welsh National Anthem!!

Old Mar 14th 2005, 3:44 am
Forum Regular

welshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to all
Lightbulb New AFL Advert - Welsh National Anthem!!

Can someone please explain to me why the new advert for the AFL season has the Welsh National Anthem as the soundtrack? I know the Welsh rugby team are playing particularly well at the moment - perhaps it's a motivation thing? The relationship between the AFL and the anthem is really intriguing though.
Old Mar 14th 2005, 3:46 am
NO 8 THE LEGEND

Lerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New AFL Advert - Welsh National Anthem!!

Originally Posted by welshgirl
Can someone please explain to me why the new advert for the AFL season has the Welsh National Anthem as the soundtrack? I know the Welsh rugby team are playing particularly well at the moment - perhaps it's a motivation thing? The relationship between the AFL and the anthem is really intriguing though.

i have not one clue, but i do know that hearing the Welsh national anthem belted out at the millenium stadium is one of the most inspirational things i have ever heard and i'm not even Welsh.
Old Mar 14th 2005, 3:48 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lerop Pekill
i have not one clue, but i do know that hearing the Welsh national anthem belted out at the millenium stadium is one of the most inspirational things i have ever heard and i'm not even Welsh.
Does anyone know what the English national anthem is, do we have one?
Old Mar 14th 2005, 3:51 am
NO 8 THE LEGEND

Lerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Dont the English sing, god save the queen? i'm not english either so i dont know what the national anthem is?
Old Mar 14th 2005, 6:10 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Cos at last they appreciate what a fantastic nation the Welsh are?

(Polly ducks and runs for cover as brickbats arrive from all sides..... )
Old Mar 14th 2005, 6:13 am
Forum Regular

welshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to all

Of course Polly - that goes without saying ;-)
Old Mar 14th 2005, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

The Hun is on a distinguished road

Land of Hope and Glory.
Old Mar 14th 2005, 7:49 am
I need a beer.....

snappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to behold

With a 25 point lead against Ireland before next Saturdays game it just has to be the one song everyone should hear Land of our Fathers

I can then leave for Oz a very happy Welshwoman - what a year

Sasha
Old Mar 14th 2005, 8:47 am
My thumbs have gone weird

thepoacher is on a distinguished road

Hmm... isn't it the Great Escape theme tune....!?

Gwlad, gwlad, pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad,
Tra môr yn fur I'r bur hoffbau,
O bydded i'r heniaith barhau.

Bring on Ireland, roll on the GrandSlam.
Old Mar 14th 2005, 9:33 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

here you go welshfolk. Truly inspirational tune.

http://www.wngga.org/HenWlad.html#anchor656295
Old Mar 14th 2005, 9:43 am
PommieLeague

AFL and rugby union have a lot in common dont they?

Last edited by wmoore; Mar 14th 2005 at 11:52 am. Reason: Removed offensive comment

Old Mar 14th 2005, 10:23 am
Gwyllt

gogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud of

Cymraes

My guess is that there would have been a lot of AFL hierachy at Telstra Dome last year to see Cymru v Canada. Truly inspirational!! Have never seen anything like it

Y Gog(downunder wrth gwrs)
Old Mar 14th 2005, 10:30 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by gogdownunder
Cymraes

My guess is that there would have been a lot of AFL hierachy at Telstra Dome last year to see Cymru v Canada. Truly inspirational!! Have never seen anything like it

Y Gog(downunder wrth gwrs)
Hello,

I've been wondering for a while now, if you were a "Northerner".

Hwyl fawr.
Alistair
Old Mar 14th 2005, 10:36 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Hello,

The official national anthem of England is “God Save the Queen”.
The unofficial anthem is “Land of Hope and Glory”, which has been nicked by the Tory party. A bit like the England RU nicking the classic rugby chant “Swing Low Sweet Chariot”.

Regards
Alistair
Old Mar 14th 2005, 11:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kirsty&al
Hello,

The official national anthem of England is “God Save the Queen”.
The unofficial anthem is “Land of Hope and Glory”, which has been nicked by the Tory party. A bit like the England RU nicking the classic rugby chant “Swing Low Sweet Chariot”.

Regards
Alistair
That classic song about Africans being bound into slavery in the US of A which has often had me wondering what it has to do with English rugby. It was explained to me once that it had something to do with an English player which has long since been forgotten and I'm sure most of the English supporters couldn't explain why they sing a negro spiritual - like inflatables which started off with bananas and Imre Varadi at Man City.

OzTennis