Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

New addition to aus

New addition to aus

Old Jun 16th 2013, 8:35 pm
Just Joined

Joby1971 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New addition to aus

Hi, I'm hoping to make the move to Port Macqurie, New South Wales with my 9 year old. I was wandering if anyone had any opinions of the primary schools there. Also I am a registered nurse and would like to take up post preferably in critical care. My husband is already there. He has been there since December. If anyone has any advice it would be welcomed. I have never been to Australia before.
Old Jun 16th 2013, 8:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New addition to aus

Welcome to BE!

I'm sure some people will help you out a bit later today.

Good luck with your move to Australia.
Old Jun 16th 2013, 8:52 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for the welcome Alfresco! I look forward to reading the replies :-)
Old Jun 17th 2013, 12:08 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joby1971
Hi, I'm hoping to make the move to Port Macqurie, New South Wales with my 9 year old. I was wandering if anyone had any opinions of the primary schools there. Also I am a registered nurse and would like to take up post preferably in critical care. My husband is already there. He has been there since December. If anyone has any advice it would be welcomed. I have never been to Australia before.
If your husband is already here wouldn't he be the best person to scout out schools in the suburb he's living in? Have you googled hospitals or jobs in the area you're looking to move to? http://mnclhd.health.nsw.gov.au/nmworld/

Off topic, but do you have a visa to move to Australia and if so, what visa? Depending on your visa type you may have to pay school fees for your son. You say your husband is already here, but is that because his job moved him here or because he's Australian? Is he your son's father? If not, have you got permission to take your son out of UK?
Old Jun 17th 2013, 12:29 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I would make sure you can actually get a job as a nurse in Port Macquarie as well.

I doubt if there will be very much choice about what is available
Old Jun 17th 2013, 5:06 am
Just Joined

Of course my husband is the best person to check out the schools. I was only looking for some feedback from others who also knew the schools. I do not have a visa yet. I'm said I was hoping to make the move. I do not have the relevant paperwork yet. I joined this site on the advice from a fellow Brit who lives in Australia to gain differing opinions and advice. No, my husband is not Australian. Yes , I do have permission to take my son.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 5:07 am
Just Joined

I also know I'd have to pay school fees.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 12:53 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joby1971
I also know I'd have to pay school fees.
You wouldn't necessarily have to pay school fees, depends what visa you are on. In NSW on a 457 you would have to, but if you are PR you wouldn't.

Are you being added to your husband's visa, is he sponsoring you on a Spouse Visa or what? Simply asking because the fees are going up very steeply at the start of July and if its sponsorship for a spouse visa you might be able to get the paperwork together and in before then, saving yourself lots of cash

We also have a nursing forum here - http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=72
which might have info useful to you about registration
Old Jun 17th 2013, 9:15 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for that info. It's very helpful. I will most probably be added onto my husbands visa, will check that out. Again thank you very much for the nursing forum link. I will look at that :-)