Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NEVER thought I'd say it, but I'm goin home!

NEVER thought I'd say it, but I'm goin home!

Old Oct 25th 2007, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NEVER thought I'd say it, but I'm goin home!

Originally Posted by PaulandNic

Altho NOT for good! ...

Basically we're on the floor moneywise and if we don't give Education Queensland $2,000 for the boys education fee's till the end of the year we'll be in breach of our visa conditions and this will have an extremely detrimental effect of our PR application ...

We've owed this money since August and altho we try and put money away each week to pay them, the cost of living is too high and it's simply not happening ...

Current bank balance is $1.75, and we owe $2,500 to a credit card ... ... so I don't have much choice but to borrow enough money to get a one way flight home and rent a cab for a month and work some bloody long hours and see what I can come back with.

I walked out of my current job today as altho I'm earning a massive $15ph, I have to put up with all kinds of crap inc 'no talking at work' and allsorts and it drove me mad! ...

Unskilled here = fudge all money and I suppose it HAS to be done! ...

Looking forward to a good curry tho, that'll be nice! ...

Anyone got any links for cheap flights home?
Hope you can get things sorted out. Coming on a student visa is a very expensive option, that is how I came and I think if we hadn't managed to get permanent residency as soon as we did, I am not sure that we would have been able to afford to stay.

Wishing you all the best.

Amanda
Old Oct 25th 2007, 11:53 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by djfbug
Good on yer! I dont know you but believe you obviously have the right attitude to succeed.
Good luck and karma sent
Thanks ...

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Could you do cab driving over here Paul or do you need a licence?

What about mobile hairdressing over here? It's coming up to Xmas so maybe more folk need a hair do maybe put cards through letter boxes or pass them around the Expat ccommunity?

I presume you've already thought through the above as it's not exactly rocket science...but was wondering if there was anything you could do other than have to leave your family?

I know you're being brave...and it's admirable what you are doing. You deserve the greatest of respect for taking control of things. Whatever happens we all wish you the very best. You and your family deserve it!
Yeah have thought about all of these, but it's timing really and this'll be the quickest way to earn the dosh. If jetlag don't wipe me out I'll be earning the day I arrive. I've coped well with jetlag in the past and don't need heaps of sleep so should be ok.

I renewed my cab licence a week before we left the UK so it could be fallen back on if in trouble and am now glad I did as I WAS gonna throw it away as I was so pee'd off with the UK and swore I'd NEVER return if we got PR. Just shows it was a wise move ...

I'm NOT goin forever and Nic is cool with it all. The kids are teens and pretty much do their own thing these days. Ashley passed her driving test today so that's gonna help heaps.

We'll be right! ...

Originally Posted by mand8002
Hope you can get things sorted out. Coming on a student visa is a very expensive option, that is how I came and I think if we hadn't managed to get permanent residency as soon as we did, I am not sure that we would have been able to afford to stay.

Amanda
Hi Amanda,

Yeah I'm posting on a Student Visa thread in the Immigration forum at the mo trying to reiterate these very thoughts. I'm happy we came and did this, and would 100% do it again, but yeah it's bloody testing at times!

Still, I think ppl who get their PR this way are far more likely to stay as they've gone through so much to get it!

We ALL love it here and getting this lil money issue out of the way will just make it all easier.

Keep saying it, but a means to an end!
Old Oct 25th 2007, 11:57 am

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck Paul....hope you can sort things out.

You really have had some shite and still come up smiling and getting through it....pat on the back mate
Old Oct 25th 2007, 12:00 pm

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

Do what you need to do mate and best of luck to you. Hope it all works out for you.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

SKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud of

Now that I've seen that your on a student visa, I understand your position,( should have posted it in OP) Good luck to you, and like you know, some things just have to be down.

good luck!!
Old Oct 25th 2007, 12:28 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Issie
Good luck Paul....hope you can sort things out.

You really have had some shite and still come up smiling and getting through it....pat on the back mate
Hi Issie,

To be honest it's all our own doing really as we HAVE canned the bank balance at times. We kick ourselves now as we could've gone a bit easier and not got in this mess but we was told once I complete studies and go on a Bridging Visa we'll not have to pay kids fee's ... how wrong!!! ...

It's not the end of the world tho, we're all good now and this trip will sort it all out ...

Abbots Tandoori here I come ... I can taste the curry now! ...lol

Anyway, big day ahead tomoz and a lot of planning to do so hittin the hay.

Thanks everyone for views / support ...
Old Oct 25th 2007, 12:29 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Issie,

To be honest it's all our own doing really as we HAVE canned the bank balance at times. We kick ourselves now as we could've gone a bit easier and not got in this mess but we was told once I complete studies and go on a Bridging Visa we'll not have to pay kids fee's ... how wrong!!! ...

It's not the end of the world tho, we're all good now and this trip will sort it all out ...

You are going to be just fine, I do believe coming back to the UK will sort you out, give you the chance to earn decent money and then get back to living your new life.

We so have to meet up
Old Oct 25th 2007, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

Halo has a spectacular aura aboutHalo has a spectacular aura aboutHalo has a spectacular aura about

I just wanted to add my well wishes to those you have already received. Good luck - I hope it works out for you and your family.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 1:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Really sorry to hear about your plight. Just in Case you havn't considered something do they do Nursing PCA, 2 week courses up there, for geriatric hospitals, you walk about employable at circa 20 bucks per hour plus shift allowance.

Anyway best of luck and hope you come back stronger.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 1:27 pm
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Paul, just wanted to wish you the very best of luck and hope that you make up your money quickly and get back to your family ASAP!

It's tough that you have to come back to the UK to make some money and I am very impressed with your decision... taking the bull by the horns and still chasing your dream of life in Australia....

Enjoy the Indian food whilst your over here. I'm sure you'll be back by Christmas!
Old Oct 25th 2007, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Issie,

Fair play to you - you're in a hole and it's drastic solution, but I have no doubt that you will succeed no matter what. Best of luck !
Old Oct 25th 2007, 2:44 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Could you do cab driving over here Paul or do you need a licence?
he is making more money now than he would be driving a cab here
Old Oct 25th 2007, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

Bradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really nice

Originally Posted by mand8002

Amanda
Hiya Amanda,
Just noticed you said you went to oz through the student route, what did you study? where did you study and did you manage to get 20 hrs work per week? Lisa.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 9:19 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by soapy
he is making more money now than he would be driving a cab here
I WAS gonna pm you mate and ask about possible earnings here but that answers my question.

NO other solution to this prob but to go back.

Blighty here we come!

might still be here on Sunday and if so I'll see you then ...
Old Oct 25th 2007, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

Bradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really nice

Hiya Paul and Nic,

Sorry to hear about your situation, but you'll pull through it. They should definitly give you pr with all the effort and sacrifices you've had to make, i'll keep my fingers crossed that everything works out fine for you, I have a good feeling about this one. Good Luck mate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.