Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NEVER thought I'd say it, but I'm goin home!

NEVER thought I'd say it, but I'm goin home!

Old Oct 25th 2007, 9:28 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NEVER thought I'd say it, but I'm goin home!

Altho NOT for good! ...

Basically we're on the floor moneywise and if we don't give Education Queensland $2,000 for the boys education fee's till the end of the year we'll be in breach of our visa conditions and this will have an extremely detrimental effect of our PR application ...

We've owed this money since August and altho we try and put money away each week to pay them, the cost of living is too high and it's simply not happening ...

Current bank balance is $1.75, and we owe $2,500 to a credit card ... ... so I don't have much choice but to borrow enough money to get a one way flight home and rent a cab for a month and work some bloody long hours and see what I can come back with.

I walked out of my current job today as altho I'm earning a massive $15ph, I have to put up with all kinds of crap inc 'no talking at work' and allsorts and it drove me mad! ...

Unskilled here = fudge all money and I suppose it HAS to be done! ...

Looking forward to a good curry tho, that'll be nice! ...

Anyone got any links for cheap flights home?
Old Oct 25th 2007, 9:30 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NEVER thought I'd say it, but I'm goin home!

www.bestflights.com.au

good luck mate
Old Oct 25th 2007, 9:32 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by fraser
www.bestflights.com.au

good luck mate
Cheers.

Hope your well mate ...
Old Oct 25th 2007, 9:34 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulandNic

Altho NOT for good! ...

Basically we're on the floor moneywise and if we don't give Education Queensland $2,000 for the boys education fee's till the end of the year we'll be in breach of our visa conditions and this will have an extremely detrimental effect of our PR application ...

We've owed this money since August and altho we try and put money away each week to pay them, the cost of living is too high and it's simply not happening ...

Current bank balance is $1.75, and we owe $2,500 to a credit card ... ... so I don't have much choice but to borrow enough money to get a one way flight home and rent a cab for a month and work some bloody long hours and see what I can come back with.

I walked out of my current job today as altho I'm earning a massive $15ph, I have to put up with all kinds of crap inc 'no talking at work' and allsorts and it drove me mad! ...

Unskilled here = fudge all money and I suppose it HAS to be done! ...

Looking forward to a good curry tho, that'll be nice! ...

Anyone got any links for cheap flights home?
Sorry about your situation.......AirAsia is starting to fly from Coolangatta to Kuala Lumpur next month - fare is $300 all up inc tax and your baggage allowance (which you have to pay for). Not sure what you'd do from there though.

Actually yes i do......try Kuwait Airways or Etihad from there to London........they are each less than $600 so you'd be looking at less than $900 all up....pretty good.

Good luck!

Last edited by bcworld; Oct 25th 2007 at 9:37 am.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 9:54 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by bcworld
Sorry about your situation.......AirAsia is starting to fly from Coolangatta to Kuala Lumpur next month - fare is $300 all up inc tax and your baggage allowance (which you have to pay for). Not sure what you'd do from there though.

Actually yes i do......try Kuwait Airways or Etihad from there to London........they are each less than $600 so you'd be looking at less than $900 all up....pretty good.

Good luck!
That sounds good, altho in an ideal world I think I need to get goin asap.

Frasers link won't show any flights within 48 hours but can leave on the 28th and get back for $1100

I'll see what else turns up

Cheers ...
Old Oct 25th 2007, 10:18 am
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

Sorry to hear about your situation.

Good luck.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 10:20 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Bugger Paul If there's anything I can do you know to shout. Tell Nic to give me a ring if she wants.

Hope you get back as early as poss.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 10:30 am
vivi

vivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nice

Paul are you sure that going back is the right choice? I admire you for what you plan to do but weigh up the costs. You will be adding to your debt getting a flight back, then having to rent a cab, live over there - added costs and then fork out some of that hard earnt cash to fly back? I am sure you have thought about this, but is there no other way through this nightmare. Anyway good luck in what ever you choose.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 10:33 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds good, altho in an ideal world I think I need to get goin asap.

Frasers link won't show any flights within 48 hours but can leave on the 28th and get back for $1100

I'll see what else turns up

Cheers ...

When I said next month.....i think its 3rd November....so still worth bearing in mind......barely a week away.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 10:41 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by TeresaG
Sorry to hear about your situation.

Good luck.
Thanks ...

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Bugger Paul If there's anything I can do you know to shout. Tell Nic to give me a ring if she wants.

Hope you get back as early as poss.
Thanks Penny ...

Yeah back for December hopefully and a clean slate for the new year ...

I suppose we always knew this wasn't gonna be easy, and your one of the few who knows how hard it's been a times but we do what we do and as long as those 2 letters come our way early 2008 then we'll be happy ...
Old Oct 25th 2007, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

on a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud of

I think your mad to be coming back, like another poster said, it will ocst you best part of a grand in sterling for a return flight..

hang it out, get another CC to see you through and go and see centrelink tell them your plite, I am sure there are special circumstances.....that they will help you.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 10:56 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by vivi
Paul are you sure that going back is the right choice? I admire you for what you plan to do but weigh up the costs. You will be adding to your debt getting a flight back, then having to rent a cab, live over there - added costs and then fork out some of that hard earnt cash to fly back? I am sure you have thought about this, but is there no other way through this nightmare. Anyway good luck in what ever you choose.
Yeah long and hard.

I'm about to phone my brother in law about a room so that'll be that part out of the way. I have a few friends who work days so might borrow me their cab for the nightshift.

To be honest I can earn bloody good money over there. I NEVER put in the hours when I was living there, but it'll all be for a good reason.

I've worked out rough figures and taking everything into account a months work will clear all debt, pay for return flight, and even pay for a tinny when I get back!

(what it's all about really ... )

At the end of the day I'm currently out of work and don't see any leads to a new job jumping at me. I'm unskilled, altho AM a qualified hairdresser, but $12 - $15ph is as much use as no use at the moment.

It just makes sense!

The plan is to retrain (again!!) once we have PR but can't do an apprenticeship till PR so just need to bridge the gap for now.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 11:05 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by on a mission
I think your mad to be coming back, like another poster said, it will ocst you best part of a grand in sterling for a return flight..

hang it out, get another CC to see you through and go and see centrelink tell them your plite, I am sure there are special circumstances.....that they will help you.
You're intitled to your opinion but If hours are put in I can earn £2,000 a week back in London. That's a LOT of $$$$

Centrelink don't wanna know till we're PR and that's Jan / Feb next year at the earliest!!

Trust me, NONE of us want this, but at the same time we know it's the only route. We both have family members who aint short of a few quid, but borrowing just raises the debt and I don't see no way of clearing it in a hurry ... don't wanna go there really.

Means to an end, simple as that.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

djfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nice

Good on yer! I dont know you but believe you obviously have the right attitude to succeed.
Good luck and karma sent
Old Oct 25th 2007, 11:26 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

You're intitled to your opinion but If hours are put in I can earn £2,000 a week back in London. That's a LOT of $$$$

Centrelink don't wanna know till we're PR and that's Jan / Feb next year at the earliest!!

Trust me, NONE of us want this, but at the same time we know it's the only route. We both have family members who aint short of a few quid, but borrowing just raises the debt and I don't see no way of clearing it in a hurry ... don't wanna go there really.

Means to an end, simple as that.
Could you do cab driving over here Paul or do you need a licence?

What about mobile hairdressing over here? It's coming up to Xmas so maybe more folk need a hair do maybe put cards through letter boxes or pass them around the Expat ccommunity?

I presume you've already thought through the above as it's not exactly rocket science...but was wondering if there was anything you could do other than have to leave your family?

I know you're being brave...and it's admirable what you are doing. You deserve the greatest of respect for taking control of things. Whatever happens we all wish you the very best. You and your family deserve it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.