Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Never say never?

Never say never?

Old Jul 18th 2005, 7:47 pm
Merlot

Lightbulb Never say never?

To those already in Oz, what are your thoughts about returning back to live in your homeland?

Do you have any plans in mind?

What would make you go back?

Are you settled in Oz and it would be difficult to go back but you would like to?

Have you been over for a holiday and decided, that is it I am never going back?

It would be interesting to hear your thoughts? No nasties please, I am having a hard enough time getting through VAT books, hence me posting here not into excel :scared:

M

Old Jul 18th 2005, 10:14 pm
Badge

Default Re: Never say never?

Would go back for hols. I never really think about the UK now - it's a distant chapter of my life. Haven't lived there on a permy basis since 1998.

My wife would probably want to visit, but as we have family in California, and what with the relative cheapness of the US that will be our No 1 ''Overseas" choice.

Badge

Old Jul 18th 2005, 10:19 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Dont really wanna go back. the only thing that would get me back is the dreaded phone call.
Old Jul 18th 2005, 11:34 pm
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

We are thinking of this Merlot I will be here for the immediate future until I get citizenship (hopefully 2008) but then who knows.

It depends how money orientated we are as we can earn more back in England. Could either rent cheaply or live with the folks for a time and send the surplus we have back to Oz.

I think we could both head back to England no problems at all we talk about it regularly but whether it comes together I dont know...watch this space in 2008.

TT

Originally Posted by Merlot
To those already in Oz, what are your thoughts about returning back to live in your homeland?

Are you settled in Oz and it would be difficult to go back but you would like to?

It would be interesting to hear your thoughts? No nasties please, I am having a hard enough time getting through VAT books, hence me posting here not into excel :scared:

M
Old Jul 18th 2005, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Un-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm. Interesting one. I have to say I love both Auz and the UK, just in different ways. I think I'm definitely here for the forseeable - and probably permanently - but would 'never say never' as you put it.
I love going back to visit. Being in Glasgow for Christmas with the family was really special and it's always wonderful to catch up with mates and do the things which aren't everyday here.
But I do love Aus too. It's home more and more as time goes on. I suppose the biggest question for me would be would I stay if things went pair shaped with my husband (who was the reason I moved here) and I think I'd definitely give it a go and just see what happened (but if he plas his cards right we won't have to worry about that one )

are your thoughts about returning back to live in your homeland?

M [/QUOTE]

Last edited by Un-Co; Jul 18th 2005 at 11:55 pm.
Old Jul 18th 2005, 11:49 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Give a chance Jem we haven't arrived yet
Old Jul 18th 2005, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Un-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fraser
Give a chance Jem we haven't arrived yet
Morning Fraser! Not my questions, I just did a bad quote job of Merlot's original post.
Old Jul 18th 2005, 11:58 pm
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold

Have been here for 18 years :scared: Married an aussie when she was doing the European trip and a year or so later she wanted to move back here to be closer to her family ( Lord knows why, they've all been fighting ever since).
We came for a year to see how it went and time slipped away ( plus could never afford to move back !).

Have been back twice, once for a hol and once after my Dad died.

The wife has been history for a few years, but I have a son here so stayed to be close to him. He is now 16 so the situation is changing a bit and I'm thinking more and more of home. Australia is great for the most part, but its not home. Due to house prices in UK, I would have to migrate oop north though, where prices are cheaper !
Old Jul 18th 2005, 11:59 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Un-Co
Morning Fraser! Not my questions, I just did a bad quote job of Merlot's original post.
Sorry mate not long took a sleeper will be gone soon but
Good Morning Jem !!!
Old Jul 19th 2005, 12:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Un-Co
Hmm. Interesting one. I have to say I love both Auz and the UK, just in different ways. I think I'm definitely here for the forseeable - and probably permanently - but would 'never say never' as you put it.
That probably sums up my attitude too. I like it here, but who knows in 10, 20, 30 years...

JTL
Old Jul 19th 2005, 12:24 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Merlot,

Our plan was only ever to move to Aus for a couple of years and play it by ear - stay longer if we were enjoying it, return to the UK if we weren't. In the very early days/weeks after getting to Sydney, when I wasn't working, I was convinced we'd be outta here as soon as that two year deadline hit. Now I feel more settled, happy and extraordinarily lucky to be able to live in Sydney. Although, having said that, it has made Mr GG and I reevaluate what's important and we've both come to the conclusion that family counts. I've always thought that if we were ever to return to the UK it would be to Newcastle upon Tyne, now we both favour Yorkshire as that's where our loved ones are based. Not lived there in ten years!

I think the main thing that's changed is the time frame - we're no longer thinking in terms of a two-year stint, but in terms of when the next natural career break comes along. And who's to say when the time to move on will feel right?! And I certainly wouldn't rule out a return to Aus, once we'd got living in Yorkshire for a while out of our systems ...

GG

M
Old Jul 19th 2005, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

Stu.E is a jewel in the roughStu.E is a jewel in the roughStu.E is a jewel in the roughStu.E is a jewel in the rough

M

No plans to go home at all. I'm here for the long haul. Besides, I'm enjoying it too much and the last year has flown by.

If I had family problems I'd go home but I'd be back in flash when it was possible. If my better half dumped me, I still wouldn't go home as I have enough here (good friends & a good job) to make me want to stay. They're not getting rid of me that easily!
Old Jul 19th 2005, 2:50 am

gedge has disabled reputation

It's a big call to say 'Never'. No one has a crystal ball (?) so how can they be 100% sure that they'll never return to the UK?
Jules and I live where we feel happiest, which right now is Sydney. Circumstances change and you re-asses your lot. Life is too damned precious to waste being unhappy.
Old Jul 19th 2005, 3:21 am
Badge

Originally Posted by JulesandChris
It's a big call to say 'Never'. No one has a crystal ball (?) so how can they be 100% sure that they'll never return to the UK?
Jules and I live where we feel happiest, which right now is Sydney. Circumstances change and you re-asses your lot. Life is too damned precious to waste being unhappy.
I could see me working in the Uk and posting money back, in some tight or unforseen situation, but for me home is Australia now. Even if we ended up scooting between the UK, US, Australia would be a pull as that is where I have my 'land'.

Badge

Old Jul 19th 2005, 3:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

All the time I have close family I will always feel a tie to UK, but I feel pretty settled here.
other half has no desires to go back- his dad died last year and that was his only tie with UK....but we might go back for a stint with my work!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.