Never Looked Back!!

Wikiposts

Never Looked Back!!

Old Oct 2nd 2003, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Owieb

Originally posted by dugongs
sorry to tell you but bournemouth is one of the fastest growing parts of the uk. it was recently named as one of the places where more new businesses have started than anywhere else in europe in the past few years.
the place is stuffed full of international language students, house prices have doubled and the town is full of bars and restaurants.
sandbanks just down the road is also the fourth most expensive place to live on the planet after tokyo, london and new york. The new houses around the harbour are amazing.
to be honest bournemouth today is a lot more vibrant and has more opportunities than perth but if you want the quiet life then perth is the way to go.
Try living here! its a shit hole! you go into town on a weekend and see girls/guys having sex in doorways, the drug scene is in abundance, parking anywhere is a nightmare, crime is rife, in Sandbanks just a few weeks ago a massuesse was stabbed to death, in the space of a fortnight there were 12 local murders! Yes Sandbanks is lovely but if you could afford to buy there you'd need to have won the lottery and then your next door neighbour is within touching distance! i've lived here all my life and can't wait to leave and i certainly don't want my daughter growing up here! Oiweb - you made the right choice my friend!
rach
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Exit UK 23rd Mar 2004, arriving in NZ 29th Mar (stop off LA Disney)
GetMeOutOfHere is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by nosuchluck
Try living here! its a shit hole! you go into town on a weekend and see girls/guys having sex in doorways, the drug scene is in abundance, parking anywhere is a nightmare, crime is rife, in Sandbanks just a few weeks ago a massuesse was stabbed to death, in the space of a fortnight there were 12 local murders! Yes Sandbanks is lovely but if you could afford to buy there you'd need to have won the lottery and then your next door neighbour is within touching distance! i've lived here all my life and can't wait to leave and i certainly don't want my daughter growing up here! Oiweb - you made the right choice my friend!
rach
You forgot all the Stag & Hen weekenders I know I was one of 12 lads 2 yrs ago, and boy there were loads of other stag & hen lads & lassess, and with that came plenty of trouble, I thought Bournemouth was a place to retire to
Had a good time needless to say but the locals must hate it
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 8:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by GetMeOutOfHere
You forgot all the Stag & Hen weekenders I know I was one of 12 lads 2 yrs ago, and boy there were loads of other stag & hen lads & lassess, and with that came plenty of trouble, I thought Bournemouth was a place to retire to
Had a good time needless to say but the locals must hate it
Don't get me wrong, if you are young, free and single its a great place to come to visit but for myself who has grown up here, its a mums worst nightmare, i don't want my 11 year old to think that all the weekends have to offer is booze and drugs (before anyone jumps on my back - i know that its everywhere but i'm hoping to be able to steer her on the right road in Australia) hopefully she'll realise that you don't have to be off your head to have a good time!
and yes i forgot about the 'stag & hens' and the prostitution and the lap dancing clubs, although in most clubs you don't have to pay, the 'afters' cost a good chat up line and vodka/red bull!
rach
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

chris hogan is an unknown quantity at this point

Rachel you brazen hussy.Cheap stag nights/leaving nights in Bournemouth vodka/red bull,and good chat up line,you'll get the
"AFTERS".

Seriously Owieb well done you have made it, your like a breath of fresh air,still puzzled by Bournemouth v Perth

Whoever does the smilies I think we should have one with middle finger extended to the Negativities(whinging poms):lecture:
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 9:10 am
WBB

Originally posted by chris hogan
Rachel you brazen hussy.Cheap stag nights/leaving nights in Bournemouth vodka/red bull,and good chat up line,you'll get the
"AFTERS".

Seriously Owieb well done you have made it, your like a breath of fresh air,still puzzled by Bournemouth v Perth

Whoever does the smilies I think we should have one with middle finger extended to the Negativities(whinging poms):lecture:

good idea christopher
Attached Images  

Old Oct 2nd 2003, 9:14 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I don't know any stories about Uk people but I know some dutch people.

I know 2 families in Perth who have been there nearly 20 years, and are definetly not coming back. Are true Australians now. Also good jobs, great houses. Only problem is some of the children have the travelling bug too! Daughter of one family is in US, son of other family is in Broome and will be moving to Tasmania soon.
But I also know 2 other families, one came back after about 6 years and the other after 15 years (all their 5 children were born in Oz and had to learn Dutch when they came back, but they're fine now.) The only daughter, now 15, does want to go back soon/someday she says.

Then there's my parents and me and brother.
We lived in WA (Perth, Kimberleys, Pilbara, Southwest) for 9 years, before my mum got homesick and so they decided to move back, cos I was 14, and if they waited longer, I probably wouldn't have wanted to come. Anyway, my dad actually wanted to stay, but he didn't want to sacrifice his marriage for it. But he has had some problems here with being homesick for Oz. He sorted it out in 2001 by going on holiday to Oz, and closing the chapter, but now we're talking about it so much again, I think it's difficult for him. If my brother were to go back(he won't) and my mums parents weren't alive anymore they would probably go back, but that's not the situation.

Anyway, I don't think that the 9 years were a failure. It was definetly a succes story, because they had a great time, a wonderful life experience.

And that's why I'm going back. Not because I hate Holland or something stupid like that (every country has the same/different problems) but just because I want to try something different, have a bit of an adventure, and we'll see if or when we come back. We might stay 3 or 10 years, or maybe forever. So it'll always be succesfull for us, if we at least stay for 2 years and get a job. But I'm not worried about that, and we've got enough money saved!

Good luck with everything,

Simone

Ah, geez, I just can't seem to keep my posts short!
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

chris hogan is an unknown quantity at this point

Good image W.B.B. Ithought you were talking about the stag nights in Bournemouth at first .I suppose they would beat a night out in Barry Island though had to endure days out to Barry
when staying at my aunties in Newport Gwent.
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 10:54 am
owieb

Originally posted by nosuchluck
Nice post! although i can't believe that your choices were *perth* or BOURNEMOUTH!!! christ i'm so pleased for you that you were accepted to Oz!
best wishes
rach
We always liked Bournemouth as a place to go for a weekend, it was close to London, we could go windsurfing, we could go mountain biking through the forest, it had some nice restaurants and was a great place to just get away.

The choice between the two is a *personal* joke that we use to explain why we are in Perth.

No offence to people in Bournemouth, but Perth has better weather!

Old Oct 2nd 2003, 12:11 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Never Looked Back!!

Originally posted by Jo Cousins
Hi

Is there anyone out there who is currently in Perth or knows of anyone out there who can really and truly say that they haven’t looked back and would never consider coming back to the UK?. Although I am not narrow minded and realise that everywhere has its good and bad points as expressed on this site, I would also like to hear the real success stories…..

We are heading out to Perth in december.

Jo
Me too, I can honestly say I've never looked back yet, although I've only been here 7 months.

I love it here and I would never consider moving back to the UK.
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 12:14 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Jo Cousins
Well put it this way, we live in Bradford which is hardly the nicest place to live in the UK for starters (I am from Surrey and have been up here 5 years)
Our best friends here are from Bradford. They've been here 15 years and never been back to the UK and I don't think they ever intend to.
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Me me me!!

Been here 9 months, contented as pig in shit!

Our lives go on pretty much as they did in England, no massive changes there - ie work, rest & play and

Plenty to moan about but there is anywhere. All in all our whole set up here is just fine and dandy but I'm easily pleased. Not everyone is though and sometimes expectations can be too high.

Old Oct 2nd 2003, 2:07 pm
Be true to your skew

Pookin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by DianeOZ
Me me me!!

Been here 9 months, contented as pig in shit!

Our lives go on pretty much as they did in England, no massive changes there - ie work, rest & play and

Plenty to moan about but there is anywhere. All in all our whole set up here is just fine and dandy but I'm easily pleased. Not everyone is though and sometimes expectations can be too high.

Took the words right out of my mouth.
The good thing that we've found is that we're a lot more enthusiastic to get out there and do new things.
Got a bit jaded back in Reading and couldn't be bothered.
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

Jo Cousins will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by renth
Our best friends here are from Bradford. They've been here 15 years and never been back to the UK and I don't think they ever intend to.
Well can't say i blame them really! Thanks to everyone for giving me your feedback. It is good to hear and before i get the people telling me to be realistic about the bad things too - I AM! I am not narrow minded and realise like i have already said that you cant go out with rose tinted glasses. I will still have to work, pay a mortgage, bills etc and probably will still always be skint by the end of the month! But at least i will be able to say we have tried...and hearing from people who have really made a go of it and done well it is nice. Can someone pls tell me what the tax is like on wages in Oz...what %?
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 5:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Default Newport!

Originally posted by chris hogan
Good image W.B.B. Ithought you were talking about the stag nights in Bournemouth at first .I suppose they would beat a night out in Barry Island though had to endure days out to Barry
when staying at my aunties in Newport Gwent.

Now there's a place, my dad met and married a Welsh girl, and they live happily in Newport about half a mile from Maindee! nearly as nice as Bournemouth!!
rach:scared:
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 5:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by owieb
We always liked Bournemouth as a place to go for a weekend, it was close to London, we could go windsurfing, we could go mountain biking through the forest, it had some nice restaurants and was a great place to just get away.

The choice between the two is a *personal* joke that we use to explain why we are in Perth.

No offence to people in Bournemouth, but Perth has better weather!
no offence taken mate!
yes i agree, some parts of the outskirts of Bournemouth are beautiful, the new forest is lovely, Baiter in Poole and the purbecks beyond but the main 'nights out' in the town centre are horrible, why anyone with a partner/children would want to come here is beyond me!
regards
rach