Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Never knew it would be this tough???

Wikiposts

Never knew it would be this tough???

Old Jul 19th 2006, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

Darren S has a brilliant futureDarren S has a brilliant futureDarren S has a brilliant futureDarren S has a brilliant futureDarren S has a brilliant futureDarren S has a brilliant futureDarren S has a brilliant futureDarren S has a brilliant future
Default Never knew it would be this tough???

Has anyone read the thread on the home page with the title above by Greggsy? Is that guy for real?? He has been there for 3.5 weeks, he has a job already and been offered another 4 , a nice house, kids and family sorted, has 2 cars and he says he never realised how hard it would be???
My heart bleeds. If that's how hard it will be for us in 31 days I can't wait!
Old Jul 19th 2006, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Never knew it would be this tough???

Originally Posted by Darren S
Has anyone read the thread on the home page with the title above by Greggsy? Is that guy for real?? He has been there for 3.5 weeks, he has a job already and been offered another 4 , a nice house, kids and family sorted, has 2 cars and he says he never realised how hard it would be???

where's the link - lets all see???
I have to say there's been plenty more like it and when I've expressed frustration I've been shot down so we'll see hey!!
Old Jul 19th 2006, 9:48 am
BE Enthusiast

weeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud of

Hi,if they have managed to get all that done in such a short space of time I think they have done well,dont see anything tough about it,hope we can get a job within 3 weeks I would be jumping through hoops if I did,good luck to them anyway,Iam sure it will be easier soon!!!!
Old Jul 19th 2006, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

BertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jothefw
where's the link - lets all see???
I have to say there's been plenty more like it and when I've expressed frustration I've been shot down so we'll see hey!!
here you go

http://britishexpats.com/articles/au...be-this-tough/
Old Jul 19th 2006, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Never knew it would be this tough???

To be fair I think he's stating it pretty much how we all expect/hope/wonder how it'll be.

It must be manic to start with and that's his point. He's lucky to be in employment which is sort after, with family to support him to start with etc but with toddler age children it's always hard, even in everyday "normal" life and so moving the other side of the world is a strain.

Isn't he just saying not to expect it to be a breeze/holiday/take the tinted sunglasses off!

I can't comment really as we're not there and when we do get there we've home, job and school already sorted so actually all we've got to sort is cars ... if I complain now that really will be unjustified!! lol!!
Old Jul 19th 2006, 9:57 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BertieB
I see all those who have posted on this thread are still in the UK at the moment?!! Dont judge him for stating how bloody tough it can get here when you first arrive and how stressful it is. If you read a follow up of his you will find that he has decided to stay and is much more settled - for someone who was so disillusioned when he first arrived I think hes doing great.

By all means post how 'easy' you think it all is when you first arrive!
Old Jul 19th 2006, 10:48 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tygwyn
I see all those who have posted on this thread are still in the UK at the moment?!! Dont judge him for stating how bloody tough it can get here when you first arrive and how stressful it is. If you read a follow up of his you will find that he has decided to stay and is much more settled - for someone who was so disillusioned when he first arrived I think hes doing great.

I agree.
Old Jul 19th 2006, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

Darren S has a brilliant futureDarren S has a brilliant futureDarren S has a brilliant futureDarren S has a brilliant futureDarren S has a brilliant futureDarren S has a brilliant futureDarren S has a brilliant futureDarren S has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by tygwyn

Point taken and I will let you know but my view is to treat the first month as a holiday with things to sort out in between and that way I cannot see how it can be stressful- maybe I'm wrong. We will all miss family and friends but not in the first month surely?6 months down the line with no house and no job I could then understand writing a thread like that. He had family to look after kids aswell! We will have two kids under 4 to cope with so maybe it will be tough.... but not that tough! It's an adventure
Old Jul 19th 2006, 11:01 am
Is it the weekend yet?

Anastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond repute

The first month or so is tough.

You have to set up a life, and all the things that come with it. Add to that the exaustion of packing up your UK life and saying goodbye to your loved ones. It is mentally, emotionally and phyiscally draining.

We have all that stuff done now, and can sit back and relax and enjoy the country. I dont remember ever being so busy, but its better to get all that stuff done as soon as you get there, the sooner its done the sooner you can relax and enjoy.
Old Jul 19th 2006, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure you have a dvd player for inside the car - we found it a life saver with our 2 toddlers.

We found the first 2 weeks more stressful than the last few weeks in the UK and we thought we were stressed out then. It will depend on how quickly you have to get things sorted out when you arrive but if you have spare cash to live on for a while then take it slowly. Good luck and enjoy your adventure.

Point taken and I will let you know but my view is to treat the first month as a holiday with things to sort out in between and that way I cannot see how it can be stressful- maybe I'm wrong. We will all miss family and friends but not in the first month surely?6 months down the line with no house and no job I could then understand writing a thread like that. He had family to look after kids aswell! We will have two kids under 4 to cope with so maybe it will be tough.... but not that tough! It's an adventure
Old Jul 19th 2006, 11:19 am
cheeky tart

The A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, having been in here for just a month, I would say his post is pretty spot on. I love it here, but spending hours registering at Medicare and activating your bank account etc with bored children in tow isn't much fun. It's been no holiday I can assure you, that doesn't mean I have any regrets though.
Old Jul 19th 2006, 11:25 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thats very nice if you have the money and time to treat it as a holiday. I'm sure I'm not the only person that arrived on Sunday and was jobhunting by Monday. I would've loved the luxury of a holiday period. And you will almost certainly miss people in the first month. As soon as something doesn't go the way you want, or you don't understand something, or you just want a laugh with someone outside your family unit, you will realise that the person you normally turn to is now on the other side of the world.
To achieve everything they achieved in the first few weeks takes some doing, esp with kids to drag around everywhere.

Applying for the visa is the easy bit - the stress really starts once its granted.
Old Jul 19th 2006, 11:33 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

It's thankfully a long time since I first arrived and I had a job already lined up but people should not underestimate the amount of stress that is involved in setting up in a new country.

Australia is not the UK. The way to set up a bank account, go shopping, register for a school, get a bus, watch TV is different to the UK. Everyhting you have knowledge of and experience of is different. You have to relearn the way things are done; I compare it to being like a child with no knowledge of even the simplest of tasks. This can be very frustrating.

Combine that with knowing no-one, having no friends, noone to talk to and most people will find it hard.

A friend here just got a new part time job at the local UNI after about 20 years with her previous employer. She has lived in Brissy all her life and is finding it very diificult adjusting as she doen't know where things are, what she is expected to do, or the language of Uni. She said to me " I can understand now how hard it must have been for you coming to a new country, a new city and a new job"

Keep your eyes wide open and be prepared.
Old Jul 19th 2006, 11:36 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

havent read the post in question - but if its the guys honest opinion/review of his life then dont criticise him just for being honest.

just shows however much we prepare, we arent really prepared enough.

blimey that was philosophical for half past midnight!
Old Jul 19th 2006, 11:41 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
havent read the post in question - but if its the guys honest opinion/review of his life then dont criticise him just for being honest.

just shows however much we prepare, we arent really prepared enough.

blimey that was philosophical for half past midnight!
Describes it perfectly though

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.