Networking

Old Dec 16th 2003, 10:22 pm
WBB

Originally posted by bondipom
WBB how many ethernet ports does it have and does it do NAT?

it comes with one ethernet port and apparently NTL do not support NAT unless you are behind a bb router.

Old Dec 16th 2003, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road
Default WBB

Originally posted by welshboybilly
it comes with one ethernet port and apparently NTL do not support NAT unless you are behind a bb router.
so i just follow the instructions on previous post! easy! i just read all that on the chetnet, so having read it twice now i hope its sunk in! i'll have ago tomorrow
thanks for you advice and help, also yours Bondipom
merry christmas
rach
Old Dec 16th 2003, 10:28 pm
WBB

Default Re: WBB

Originally posted by nosuchluck
so i just follow the instructions on previous post! easy! i just read all that on the chetnet, so having read it twice now i hope its sunk in! i'll have ago tomorrow
thanks for you advice and help, also yours Bondipom
merry christmas
rach

let us know how it goes, it really is'nt that difficult and you have nothing to fear.

i am ashamed to admit that even my mother has a network at home

Old Dec 16th 2003, 10:34 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

So I will you will have one PC connected via USB and the other by ethernet?
Old Dec 16th 2003, 10:42 pm
WBB

So I will you will have one PC connected via USB and the other by ethernet?

i was thinking more along the lines of getting the line in to the modem (ethernet) from there to the desktop into a NIC and using the wireless capability of the laptop, the obvious downside is the purchase of a router but they are really cheap over here now, you can buy a linksys wrt54g for around £60-70 ish, this money would be well spent though, the freedom to surf anywhere inside or out in the garden is great.

either way you cannot really avoid the purchase of a router !

Old Dec 16th 2003, 10:54 pm

Originally posted by welshboybilly
i was thinking more along the lines of getting the line in to the modem (ethernet) from there to the desktop into a NIC and using the wireless capability of the laptop, the obvious downside is the purchase of a router but they are really cheap over here now, you can buy a linksys wrt54g for around £60-70 ish, this money would be well spent though, the freedom to surf anywhere inside or out in the garden is great.

either way you cannot really avoid the purchase of a router !
Does the modem do the authentication or do you need PPPoE?
Old Dec 16th 2003, 11:03 pm
WBB

Does the modem do the authentication or do you need PPPoE?

its all automatic.

Old Dec 16th 2003, 11:27 pm
ABCDiamond

WBB how many ethernet ports does it have and does it do NAT? You are correct about using ethernet over USB. I just ditched my Alcatel Speed Touch USB for a Billion 741GEV2 and there is a definate improvement. USB can go to sleep on you and can lag when it wakes up. There is also the extra boot time and system overhead.

All this assumes both PCs have ethernet slots and that there is more than one slot on the modem/router.
Bondi
I've got the Alcatel Speed Touch USB aswell and have considered changing to a Billion. Is it easy to change over ? I'm a bit technology challenged these days as well.

Old Dec 16th 2003, 11:42 pm

I found them very easy to set up. Do you have a network card? If you want to go wireless the 743GE is also a good router. Basically you plug in, go to the web page provided by the router and put in the authentication details.

The info you need is on www.billion.com.au . The Alcatel was annoying because you need to get hold of the driver that is only available on CD or some NZ site. The CD is provided by the ISP but I obtained my modem by dubious means so no CD. Then I had to put in the VCI and VPI settings in the resgistry and it fired up.

I got mine from www.i-tech.com.au which is near China town in Sydney but they deliver. Give me a shout if you need help.
Old Dec 17th 2003, 8:30 am
Badge

I'm using a wireless ROUTER - which connects to the wall, and its wireless - such a dream, going to take it to Aussie. My current set up is PPPoA (PPP over ATM) (how does this differ to PPPoE) and I just configure the router via it's web page hey presto...I didn't even set the VPI etc - it worked out of the box

getting a ADSL wireless firewall router is the way to go it seems...

presuably you can go with Hellstra etc, but not ask for the install as you'll get their Alcatel jobby and the increased expense..

"a little knowledge is a dangrous thing Badge"

Old Dec 17th 2003, 8:52 am

Originally posted by badgersmount
I'm using a wireless ROUTER - which connects to the wall, and its wireless - such a dream, going to take it to Aussie. My current set up is PPPoA (PPP over ATM) (how does this differ to PPPoE) and I just configure the router via it's web page hey presto...I didn't even set the VPI etc - it worked out of the box

getting a ADSL wireless firewall router is the way to go it seems...

presuably you can go with Hellstra etc, but not ask for the install as you'll get their Alcatel jobby and the increased expense..

"a little knowledge is a dangrous thing Badge"
I do not know if Hellstra provide modemless ADSL. Look at www.bigpond.com.au. VPI in Oz is 8 and VCI is 35 and I am sure you know how to set those. Swiftel offer authentication via PPPoE and PPPoA as do most Aussie ISPs.

PPPoE and PPPoA work at different networking layers (I can hear snores now). PPPoA is recommended because you can have a higher MTU (maximum transmission unit) and therefore get a higher throughtput. MTU for PPPoA is 1500 which is also the default setting for your ethernet cards. PPPoA supports a single session which is then shared.

PPPoE (PPP over Ethernet) implies that authentication to the ISP can be done over the LAN rather than at the router/modem level. Hopefully a network engineer can confirm that one. PPPoE does not always support an MTU of 1500 and it is recommended to reduce the MTU on the modem/router and the ethernet card. Multiple PCs can authenticate using PPPoE over the same connection.

I advise PPPoA and forget Hellstra. They are truly awful and the price is rediculous.
Old Dec 17th 2003, 9:00 am
Badge

mate - you've answered all my questions !! I did A level IT and did the ISO Networking Layers then, so just about get you..

I'm glad I've got ATM now, and my MTU is 1492, and funnily enough, won't allow me to set it any higher, but using the tips on www.speedguide.net, I have cracked XP etc to get higher speeds which I am happy with in any case..

Badge