British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Networking (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/networking-197239/)

nosuchluck Dec 16th 2003 9:32 pm

Networking

Can anyone help?
i would like to network my laptop with my daughters pc which is situated in the lounge (where i use the laptop) i have a broadband connection with Ntl and using XP i have tried following the wizard but am completely stuck, is there an easy way around it? we both want to be able to assess our emails and surf the net
with regards and thanks in advance
rach & chanelle :confused:

tiredwithtwins Dec 16th 2003 9:36 pm

Re: Networking

Originally posted by nosuchluck
Can anyone help?
i would like to network my laptop with my daughters pc which is situated in the lounge (where i use the laptop) i have a broadband connection with Ntl and using XP i have tried following the wizard but am completely stuck, is there an easy way around it? we both want to be able to assess our emails and surf the net

cant help, but congratulations on getting to your 900th post!!!!!

Sue:D :D :D

nosuchluck Dec 16th 2003 9:43 pm

Originally posted by tiredwithtwins
cant help, but congratulations on getting to your 900th post!!!!!

Sue:D :D :D

Thanks Sue,
didn't even notice i had got there! wow, something is going right for once!
had an christmas card from our agent today (paid them in full already!), emailed to say thanks and ask if we should book our meds/police checks for end of Jan and he said no not yet :(
so that's good news about the 900th post!
take care
rach x

bondipom Dec 16th 2003 9:47 pm

Can anyone help?
How is it networked?

WBB Dec 16th 2003 9:48 pm

Can anyone help?

what type of network are you trying to set up ?

is it wired or wireless ?

do you have a firewall?

WBB Dec 16th 2003 9:48 pm

Originally posted by bondipom
How is it networked?

beaten to it by saddam.

you pop up everywhere !

lol ;)

bondipom Dec 16th 2003 9:50 pm

Originally posted by welshboybilly
beaten to it by saddam.

you pop up everywhere !

lol ;)
Tikrit is well connected.

nosuchluck Dec 16th 2003 9:51 pm

beaten to it by saddam.

you pop up everywhere !

lol ;)
thanks saddam and wbb
i have a usb from my set box (ntl) into my laptop but i do have the option to have a wireless connection but totally lost by that! doh!
feeling really thick now!
:confused: :confused:

bondipom Dec 16th 2003 9:54 pm

thanks saddam and wbb
i have a usb from my set box (ntl) into my laptop but i do have the option to have a wireless connection but totally lost by that! doh!
feeling really thick now!
:confused: :confused:
Don't worry I deal with the technically challenged every day. The worst are those that think they know what they are on about.

First thing first. You have the wire out of the wall from NTL. What does that go into. Do you have a brand and model name?

BTW is it cable or ADSL?

WBB Dec 16th 2003 9:59 pm

a good place to start could be here

it's another forum where you can get good advice or look through the archives.

my knowledge is limited but i do have a wireless network and could help out if that is what you decide to go for, i would go wireless everytime.

good luck.

nosuchluck Dec 16th 2003 10:02 pm

Bondi

technology challenged - i like that and i'll take it as a compliment that i am asking for help therefore not one who thinks they know what they are on about!
Right the cable comes through the wall and into a set box which just has NTL: Home on it (broadband internet). it is a cable modem which then has a USB cable from it into my laptop! There is a model number on the bottom which is: 60194E-A12 is this any help?
regards and thanks
rach :confused:

WBB Dec 16th 2003 10:06 pm

Re: Bondi

technology challenged - i like that and i'll take it as a compliment that i am asking for help therefore not one who thinks they know what they are on about!
Right the cable comes through the wall and into a set box which just has NTL: Home on it (broadband internet). it is a cable modem which then has a USB cable from it into my laptop! There is a model number on the bottom which is: 60194E-A12 is this any help?
regards and thanks
rach :confused:

that is the same cable modem i have, an ntl: home 120.

i would always use ethernet cable over usb as it is quicker and uses less of your system resources, you can pick up a couple of metres for about £5.

nosuchluck Dec 16th 2003 10:10 pm

Re: WBB

that is the same cable modem i have, an ntl: home 120.

i would always use ethernet cable over usb as it is quicker and uses less of your system resources, you can pick up a couple of metres for about £5.
Thanks for your advice and the other web forum, so if i get the ethernet cable do i have to inform ntl of the changeover and is it easy to connect the laptop and desktop up that way>?
regards
rach ;)

bondipom Dec 16th 2003 10:16 pm

WBB how many ethernet ports does it have and does it do NAT? You are correct about using ethernet over USB. I just ditched my Alcatel Speed Touch USB for a Billion 741GEV2 and there is a definate improvement. USB can go to sleep on you and can lag when it wakes up. There is also the extra boot time and system overhead.

All this assumes both PCs have ethernet slots and that there is more than one slot on the modem/router.

WBB Dec 16th 2003 10:17 pm

Re: WBB

Thanks for your advice and the other web forum, so if i get the ethernet cable do i have to inform ntl of the changeover and is it easy to connect the laptop and desktop up that way>?
regards
rach ;)
time for a cut n paste.

this comes from the afore mentioned site.

You will firstly need to install an Ethernet card. To do this, follow the instruction provided by the manufacturer in installing the Ethernet card into the PC. Some Operating Systems such as XP will automatically detect the card and install appropriate drivers for it.

When you have finished make sure that the drivers are correctly installed in the device manager. As an example, for Windows 98 double click on the “My Computer� Icon, then double click on Control Panel, then System, then Device Manager. This will show you a list of Devices including Network Adapters.

Now that drivers are installed you will need to follow the steps below to allow the Cable modem to connect correctly through your Ethernet card.

1. Turn off PC

2.Turn of the cable modem by unplugging it from the mains power.

3. Remove the USB lead from both modem and PC

4. Plug in the Ethernet (RJ45 Straight through) cable to both the PC and cable modem.

5. Plug in the cable modem to the mains power, wait 1 minute

6. Check that the appropriate lights are on on the modem as below

Motorola SB4100 = Power, Receive, Send, Online on solid

Terayon TJ210 = Power, Cable, on solid

Ntl Home 100/120 = Power, Sync, Rdy, on solid

7. Turn on the PC

The change has now been made to the connection type there is no need to do anything further, Simply open your web browser i.e. Internet Explorer and check that you are able to access you homepage as normal.

If you have any problems browsing to your homepage please check that all the relevant lights are now on on your modem as below:

Motorola SB4100 Power, Receive, Send, Online, Activity flashing

Terayon TJ210 Power, PC, Cable, Data flashing

NtlHome 100/120 PWR, ENET, flashing, U/S and D/S flashing, SYNC, RDY