Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Netto & Lidl type supermarkets in QLD??

Netto & Lidl type supermarkets in QLD??

Old Sep 9th 2005, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

jacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud of
Smile Netto & Lidl type supermarkets in QLD??

Hello

We are migrating to the Sunshine Coast in Jan 2006! Flight booked...can't wait.

We were wondering if there were shops similar to the 'cheap n cheerful' Netto and Lidl that we have in the UK?

All replies appreciated.

The Spinkways
Old Sep 9th 2005, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

charlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Netto & Lidl type supermarkets in QLD??

Originally Posted by jacknscoob
Hello

We were wondering if there were shops similar to the 'cheap n cheerful' Netto and Lidl that we have in the UK?

All replies appreciated.

The Spinkways
don't think me sad but i was thinking that to. the stuff in the big super markets is all a bit shiny to be good for you veg etc .now you all think that i am really mad but just have a look it nearly blinds you .
Old Sep 9th 2005, 10:43 pm
Sydney- North Shore

jjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by charlie brown
don't think me sad but i was thinking that to. the stuff in the big super markets is all a bit shiny to be good for you veg etc .now you all think that i am really mad but just have a look it nearly blinds you .
not netto or lidl yet, but aldi are here....
Old Sep 9th 2005, 10:45 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

All replies appreciated.

The Spinkways
To be honest, they all remind me of those places in the UK Not necessarily in terms of price but in the impression you get of a place when you walk through the front door.
Old Sep 9th 2005, 11:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of light

What's green and yellow and hangs off a ******?

A Netto carrier bag!!

The old ones really are the best!
Old Sep 9th 2005, 11:20 pm
Account Closed

eatstatic is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello

All replies appreciated.

The Spinkways
Yea, there are in every town. In Oz they are called Coles/Franklins/Woolworths.

The main differences are, they look like Nettos/Lidl/Kwik save, yet charge even more than Waitrose.

Fancy a time machine experience for free? Walk in Coles and instantly be in Tescos 1976.
Old Sep 9th 2005, 11:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eatstatic
Yea, there are in every town. In Oz they are called Coles/Franklins/Woolworths.

The main differences are, they look like Nettos/Lidl/Kwik save, yet charge even more than Waitrose.

Fancy a time machine experience for free? Walk in Coles and instantly be in Tescos 1976.
Dont agree with they look like nettos/lidl/ etc etc, well the coles/safeway around here are very modern and well set up.

also your time line is wrong, not 1976 but maybe 1990, I will give you that much.

Beleive it or not, when I first came here, in 1980, I honestly beleive that Aussie supermarkets at that time, were far better than their english counterparts. I've got to admit that did change with a vengance though.

Hopefully, things may change. It's going to take a long while though.
Old Sep 9th 2005, 11:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really nice

Originally Posted by jjonboy
not netto or lidl yet, but aldi are here....
You can check out the store locations for Aldi here: http://www.aldi.com.au/store_01/start.html

Agree with the comments on Oz supermarkets. Not found anything yet to compare with Sainsbury's, M&S food hall (we really miss M&S food ), or Tesco's yet. Our local Safeway is like Kwik Save 2004 or Tesco 1980.

The weather makes up for it though. We had nearly 25C the other day and it's only early Spring.
Old Sep 9th 2005, 11:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Neil S
The weather makes up for it though. We had nearly 25C the other day and it's only early Spring.
We had 25c last week - 13 on Monday and 12 on Tuesday!!!