Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Netball is bad for your health

Netball is bad for your health

Old Mar 16th 2004, 8:31 am
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough
Default Netball is bad for your health

Well, this week was supposed to be meeting people and making some friends week while looking for a p/t job...

with this (and my expanding waistline and arse) in mind i trotted off in my new shorts, t-shirt and trainers (which cost a bomb - clothes ain't cheap out her) to join the council netball team.#

it was all very different to what i remember from school 12 years ago - 6 players, 2 defence, 2 attack and 2 links (centres as far as i can work out), 4 periods of 8 minutes and evrything gos ata frantic pace leading to scotrelines in the 30s/40s.

but willing to have a go, into the fray i plunged - ran about a bit wondering who was on my team, and which way we wetre going when some nutter decided to pass me the ball - it hit my thumb, bending it back. not wanting tio be a wuss, i played on for another 16 minutes - even touching the ball at times, and then went down the pub to showe willing. drove home one handed as my thumb had ballooned and hurt like buggery.

Spent 2 1/2 hours in a+e - same set up as the nhs - no staff too many pateientds and i am now one-handed ?(as you may have guessed from the typing) with suspected major ligament damage. seeing gp tomorrow for an update - fingers crossed it is just a severe sprain or i am buggered for months.

i knew i should have stuck to sitting in the pub!

apart from that life istill good - feeling a bit lonely at times when on my own duribg the day but met up with i girl i met online today who is nice aND THERE IS AN EXPATS BBQ on thurdsayso that will mean meeting people. was invited to a winetasting evening tonight and rewaally enjoyed it - nice people too- and kiwis which is great.

and i am being good kiwi housewife by making a ginormous lasagne 90% of whivch hAS been frozen for the future - very proud of that lasagne i am - i wasa going to attemp banana muffins today but having only a fintional left hsnd spoilyt that thst idea.
Old Mar 16th 2004, 9:18 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhhhhhh! Hope it's not too serious and better soon!!!

I played netball years ago too, I only remember I was reasonably good at defence. For the rest I don't remember rules. In WA we called the ones in the middles centres I think. Was it all WA, WD, ok, don't remember anymore!

Typing's alright for someone with one hand!
Old Mar 16th 2004, 6:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

slowmacro has much to be proud ofslowmacro has much to be proud ofslowmacro has much to be proud ofslowmacro has much to be proud ofslowmacro has much to be proud ofslowmacro has much to be proud ofslowmacro has much to be proud ofslowmacro has much to be proud ofslowmacro has much to be proud ofslowmacro has much to be proud ofslowmacro has much to be proud of

I PLAY NETBALL......

i love it to..... its fun..... i even got player of the match once...lol..... but never received it again???????

monkey girl
x
Old Mar 16th 2004, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

nell m is an unknown quantity at this point

hi polly, hope you get better soon! I used to play neball but i always used to get stuck as goal keeper as I was always the tallest!
Old Mar 16th 2004, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

slowmacro has much to be proud ofslowmacro has much to be proud ofslowmacro has much to be proud ofslowmacro has much to be proud ofslowmacro has much to be proud ofslowmacro has much to be proud ofslowmacro has much to be proud ofslowmacro has much to be proud ofslowmacro has much to be proud ofslowmacro has much to be proud ofslowmacro has much to be proud of

i can not do anything that involves shooting. im uselesss lol......

monkey girl
x
Old Mar 17th 2004, 3:39 am
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

Still one handed as the doc put me in plaster!

Apparently the ligaments should be OK without an operation but it is a 'very severe injury' and so has to be in plaster for probably two weeks while it all heals.

bummer - not allowed to drive

But at least we found out a bit about the NZ health provision.

My hospital visit was free as it was covered by ACC (a government fund that covers you for accidents as far as I can work out) and the GP appointment was subsidised by the same fund so cost $18 (although the drug prescription he gave me was $15 odd) Normally, if you were sick, a GP appointment would be $43.

At least at my GP's - I don't know if charges vary from doctor to doctor.