Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

nerdy internet question

nerdy internet question

Old Nov 7th 2005, 6:59 am
Don't use It's green card

baconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of light
Default nerdy internet question

sorry about this one, I went for one of the cheaper broadband packages and don't get to download a massive of gigabytes......does listening to uk radio count as downloading? apologies to all the tekkies for such a stupid question.

fell free to mock me for such a pathetic question
Old Nov 7th 2005, 7:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: nerdy internet question

Originally Posted by baconmaster
sorry about this one, I went for one of the cheaper broadband packages and don't get to download a massive of gigabytes......does listening to uk radio count as downloading? apologies to all the tekkies for such a stupid question.

Everything you open on the net is a download IE:every time you open a Webpage, you download bytes of info. not to sure how much a Net broadcast would be, not that much though. I think they stream at about 32 kbps per sec.

I think a light user should start at 3 gigs. That should be enough for radio broadcasts, and browsing everyday, sending and receiving photos by email, etc etc.

I've just signed up with iinet, and hardware permitting, will be on line at 1.5mbps through to 12 mbps on Adsl 2 with a 40 gig download capacity as from Wednesday arvo, Get a voip phone and number thrown in with that, which is bloody fantastic. 10 cent local calls, and 5 cent per min to UK, (or I can use voip free if I can be bothered)
Old Nov 7th 2005, 7:07 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by baconmaster

yup, live streaming audio is what you would be listening to therefore its a continuous download, normally around 32kbps ( I think), so it wouldnt be hard to figure out.

I would go to your isp usage meter see what it is then listen to internet radio for an hr and rechaeck your usage (isp updates about every 15 minutes so wait a while before checking)
Old Nov 7th 2005, 7:26 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW I signed up for a $19.95pm broadband - albeit at a slow rate - where you pay per MB over 200MB, and I'm still only paying $19.95 despite thinking I was a heavy user!
Old Nov 7th 2005, 7:34 am
birmingham to brisbane

cam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nice

are there any unlimited packages avaliable in aus? I'm a very heavy user here in the uk
Old Nov 7th 2005, 7:36 am
Life is sweet in Brisbane

rima+kids is just really nicerima+kids is just really nicerima+kids is just really nicerima+kids is just really nicerima+kids is just really nicerima+kids is just really nicerima+kids is just really nicerima+kids is just really nicerima+kids is just really nicerima+kids is just really nice

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I've just signed up with iinet, and hardware permitting, will be on line at 1.5mbps through to 12 mbps on Adsl 2 with a 40 gig download capacity as from Wednesday arvo, Get a voip phone and number thrown in with that, which is bloody fantastic. 10 cent local calls, and 5 cent per min to UK, (or I can use voip free if I can be bothered)
What price for the above?

Richie.
Old Nov 7th 2005, 7:46 am

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rima+kids

Richie.
www.iinet.net.au

Originally Posted by cam_uk
are there any unlimited packages avaliable in aus? I'm a very heavy user here in the uk
There are some out there but generally pretty pricey. iinet for example max out at 40gb peak+40gb off peak for $90pm as long as you get your phone through them which is another $29.95 (same as from Hellstra)

You'll probably get better info/help here: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/
Old Nov 7th 2005, 10:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rima+kids

Richie.

70 bucks per month, for 40 gigs (they call that medium usage) for Adsl2 and the voip phone, if you sign up with their telephone rental, at 29 bucks per month. So Normal phone rental at 30 bucks per month (29.95) and Adsl2 at 70 (69.95). I was going to use TPG, However after reading a few BBS forums re their dropout rates, decided that you really do pay for what you get. I really like the fact that I have two telephone connections with this service. I was going to go with bigpond, that would have been 10 dollars per month cheaper, with 125 free local calls, plus they could throttle you back after 12 gigs of download, The Download speed would only have been .512
mbps, no good for net tv etc, and much slower,

The dealings that I have with IInet so far and their customer service have been pretty good, taking about 10-15 mins to get through. Anyone that has used Iprimus will know how good this is, as I've spent more than 1 hour at a time quite commonly trying to talk to the Iprimus service desk. I will admit though nothing beats (bigponds) Telstras quick response to service calls,

I'm pretty sure we will go close to using that amount, with my older Daughter, using the net occasionaly, and the 11 and 7 year olds coming on strong now.
Old Nov 7th 2005, 10:51 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cam_uk
Yea same here. Being in the web business we'd also need uncapped uploads too. Anyone have a recommendation
Old Nov 7th 2005, 10:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Flying Banana
www.iinet.net.au

There are some out there but generally pretty pricey. iinet for example max out at 40gb peak+40gb off peak for $90pm as long as you get your phone through them which is another $29.95 (same as from Hellstra)

You'll probably get better info/help here: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/

The bonus about IInet, is their speeds start at 1.5mbps, as they have gone over to Adsl2 for all compatible connections. Plus the free Voip phone number, which means anyone can Call your iinternet connected phone.