Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NELSON NZ:Need help & advice

NELSON NZ:Need help & advice

Old Jul 17th 2003, 6:38 am
Non-addicted member!

garrisondamn will become famous soon enoughgarrisondamn will become famous soon enough
Default NELSON NZ:Need help & advice

We have arrived in Nelson, staying in a 2 bedroom motel unit in Tahunanui, we are a family of 3, my wife, myself & eager 16 year old son.
We would appreciate any help & advice as we have no contacts here (ahhhhh!) in any way possible, especially in finding long term rental property, work, career advice.
We are all very keen motorcyclists, so that may be a start (for some) We are not just limited to the city, but anywhere in the Nelson region.
Again, any help from anyone here would be great.
Thanks.
Old Jul 17th 2003, 12:23 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NELSON NZ:Need help & advice

Originally posted by garrisondamn
We have arrived in Nelson, staying in a 2 bedroom motel unit in Tahunanui, we are a family of 3, my wife, myself & eager 16 year old son.
We would appreciate any help & advice as we have no contacts here (ahhhhh!) in any way possible, especially in finding long term rental property, work, career advice.
We are all very keen motorcyclists, so that may be a start (for some) We are not just limited to the city, but anywhere in the Nelson region.
Again, any help from anyone here would be great.
Thanks.
Hiya,

My cousin lives in Stoke with 3 teenage doughters. I think she will know lots of motorcycling enthusiasts, I will try to get hold of her for some contact details. Not sure if they have regular rallies like the Sunday ones they do in UK at Box Hill and elsewhere.

Is it school holidays there now? Your son will be right once he starts school.

There are plenty of Brits around Nelson area, so it is just a case of trying to catch up with them. You will happen across them when you least expect it.

For accomodation you need to pick your area, and then either use the local paper, or go through a real estate agent. Tizus might have some advice as to how she went about it.

What sort of work are you after? If you wanted to there is normally plenty of casual work in the horticultural business. There should be pruning etc work on the Waimea plains just outside Richmond. Probably not what you want to do long term, but it gets you outside and meeting people. Maybe some other sort of casual work could do the same trick.

How is the weather there now? Bet you are finding it all really exciting, but a bit daunting all the same.

We'll be coming through Nelson to stay with my parents when we migrate in about 2 months time (before going down to Dunedin). Maybe we can catch up with you, Tizus and any others to compare notes.

Regards

Southerner

ps you must try out the Boatshed cafe, I love the place. Also do a daytrip to Mapua. That is where my parents and brother live, and it is very laidback and has some good restaurants too.
Old Jul 17th 2003, 12:29 pm
Non-addicted member!

garrisondamn will become famous soon enoughgarrisondamn will become famous soon enough

Thanks for that, yeah, we are trying to mix in, only been here a few days, so its early yet.
When you get here, email me (through my profile) & we'll have beer or three, that includes anyone who wants to meet up! (TIZUS)?
We dont mind really what sort of work, but we are looking to the long term.
I guess when my bike gets out here we will start to meet a few more people.
Old Jul 17th 2003, 1:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

TIZUS is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Alan

We were lucky with our rental, the guys Ian will be working for knew of someone who was going travelling for three months so we have rented their place, but prior to that Homefinders were being really helpfull. (Not sure of their fees though) and there seemed to be a few places advertised in The Nelson press, the other site that was helpfull was www.nelsoncitycouncil.co.nz loads of links to activities, accomadation, work etc.

Catch up with you soon

Tori
Old Jul 17th 2003, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

Bryher is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nelson

Hi Alan

My husband is living and working in Nelson, been there since March - maybe he can be of help.. have sent you a pm.

Good luck
Bryher
Old Jul 18th 2003, 5:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Roger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the rough

Promised an earlier thread on Nelson. Friend recommended the Palms Motel, right in the centre of town.
www. palmsnelson.co.nz

Roger
Old Jul 19th 2003, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

tezzabart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by garrisondamn
Thanks for that, yeah, we are trying to mix in, only been here a few days, so its early yet.
When you get here, email me (through my profile) & we'll have beer or three, that includes anyone who wants to meet up! (TIZUS)?
We dont mind really what sort of work, but we are looking to the long term.
I guess when my bike gets out here we will start to meet a few more people.
Hi Allen
What sort of visa have you gone out with?
With the whole family and you're bike on the way,you're obviuosly thinking of staying a while
On another thread I saw you did'nt know what a JSV was,so you've either got a PR or you've taken a big gamble?
What ever best of luck me old shadey.
See you in Nelson mid to end Aug
Tezza
Old Jul 20th 2003, 12:01 am
Non-addicted member!

Originally posted by tezzabart
Hi Allen
What sort of visa have you gone out with?
With the whole family and you're bike on the way,you're obviuosly thinking of staying a while
On another thread I saw you did'nt know what a JSV was,so you've either got a PR or you've taken a big gamble?
What ever best of luck me old shadey.
See you in Nelson mid to end Aug
Tezza
Yep! we're on a PR and do intend to stay as long as we like it here. Which could be the rest of our lives!
Look us up when you get here. Good luck.
Old Jul 20th 2003, 12:22 am
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

deedee is on a distinguished road

watch out on the roads over here.Having been a biker all my life i've been caught out several times since coming here with cow ,sheep and stock truck effluent and loads of gravel just where you don't expect it.As for lambing time,the numbers of lambs on the roads is scarey and i've missed a few of those by millimeters.(theres currently 38 million sheeps in NZ and at lambing time probably another 20 million that can get through the fences and onto roads)Its a shame too but theres not many bikers in South Island.I was talking to a friend at the local dealer who told me last year only 60 new bikes over 400cc were sold in NZ in total.I ve now gone onto off road trail riding as where we are its pointless having a road bike anymore,theres more unsealed roads than sealed.There are thousands of bikers doing off road/trail/enduro mind,we've met loads of people through our local club.Anyhow,welcome to this side of the world and happy riding.